The new dark grey F-16 scheme

A few years ago when the color shifting paint came out in the car industry, Dupli-color put out a paint kit that was sold in Walmart where you could paint anything in the color shifting paint.

The kit included three cans of paint, A flat black primer, a top coat and a clear coat, the clear coat had all the color shifting tents in it. The last F-22 I built I used the clear coat from the kit and work very well. It gave it that Raptor sheen to it.

Here is a link to it http://www.duplicolor.com/products/mirage/

Would you mind posting pix or links to images of your F-22 build?

I don't have full references on it, Aaron. I've shot it a bunch over the past year or two, but not up close enough to pick out the fine details of the artwork and stencils. I'm not opposed to it, if I can get the required pics.

Paging Mr. Barr, Mr. Jim Barr..... 70.gif

PS Eric H might be able to help out as well.

It is my understanding from reading the Caracal forum over in the "Sponsor's Forum" on this same subject that he is planing on doing the LM 'D' on his sheet.

Regards

Jim Barr

It is my understanding from reading the Caracal forum over in the "Sponsor's Forum" on this same subject that he is planing on doing the LM 'D' on his sheet.

I saw that but understood Caracal was planning on 48th and 72 only. The request for the LM "D" in this thread was for a 32nd kit. In the end the goal is for accurate markings and you (Jim) are the authority on factory Viper schemes. :thumbsup:

looking good Jake!!!

Thanks!

1. Placing a scanned strip of 595 (or any other) color chips onto a photo you found online is utterly and completely pointless. The same airplane photographed with the same camera five seconds later will look a totally different color depending on sun angle, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Yes. I taxied past a couple of the jets with the new schemes at Eglin a while ago, and the hue of these jets changed as my vantage point in relation to the sun changed.

I saw that but understood Caracal was planning on 48th and 72 only. The request for the LM "D" in this thread was for a 32nd kit. In the end the goal is for accurate markings and you (Jim) are the authority on factory Viper schemes. 70.gif

Well two things, one I retired a little over a year ago so no long have direct access to the latest info that is releasable to the public; but second, as far as I know our group did not have that particular info anyway. In the past we were heavily involved in the laying out the pattern on the special "Tails" for the jets that were painted at the factory, but that went away with newer methods so unless we are ask to furnish a model we are often left out of the loop on information like that and therefore nothing to go into the "files".

Regards

Jim Barr

Stumbling around looking at Russian colors and the grey looks very very similar to the Egg plant grey used on the SU-34.

Have a look at the SU image on the Linden Hill page and co a side by side.

Very very similar.

Oh Akan do the color.

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/akanrussia+ussr.htm

Edited by dehowie

Yes, sir. Here are updated profiles of the Edwards jets. Bigmouth and smallmouth Block 30s. these are current as of two days ago, with up-to-the-minute crew names and stencils.

I'll post the Lock Mart jet later.

445FLTS.jpg

For me, though, I can't wait to build the 85th TES flagship. :wub:

Jake

48005_profiles_SHG.jpg

Edited by jmel

albeit cleaner (because they are newer) the F-15K is delivered in FS36118, Gunship Gray, just like the F-15E. And, as we have :deadhorse1:/> It isn't that. :D/>

Aaron

Maybe it was because it was a factory fresh jet that the color looked darker :dontknow:

Yeah, I thought that as well (that they were different) when I first saw them, but the F-15K and F-15SG are both just plain, boring, Gunship Gray. They also don't seem to weather as fast or as heavy as the USAF jets do...Especially RAF Lakenheath-based jets. Something about that English weather does not agree with a nice, clean paint job.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

Yeah, I thought that as well (that they were different) when I first saw them, but the F-15K and F-15SG are both just plain, boring, Gunship Gray. They also don't seem to weather as fast or as heavy as the USAF jets do...Especially RAF Lakenheath-based jets. Something about that English weather does not agree with a nice, clean paint job.

Aaron

And anywhere from 3-6 months in the desert 6 or 7 times in the last 10+ years will affect the paint

Forgive me if I missed this in the near 100 posts in this thread:

Is Have Glass the "official" name of this scheme? Just asking so that I know what to Google. "New F-16 camo scheme" is sending me off on many tangents.

Sure looks, at least to my photographer's eye, that there's a red cast. When I looked at the curves of the OP's photo is photoshop, it's strong in the reds. Maybe there's a metallic added to the paint causing a rose colored shift? Doesn't titanium have a rose color to it? Just thinking out loud...

Bill