The new dark grey F-16 scheme

Funny you say that Mark. I'm sitting here holding a bottle of BMW anthracite grey metallic touchup paint and thinking it might look good. Maybe a little too metallic for the scale, but definitely worth a test on one of my hulks.

Bill

Well too each his own. I will be using Model Master Anthracite Grey Metallic for the color of the F-16. Will try it first on a Fujimi F-35B I'm working on now. Think the FS 36170 actually refers to the trim color for the radome and sawtooth panels. Tony Stark just don't pull the trigger on me for my opinion.

Mark S.

Wolfpak Decals

Wrong. It is officially Have Glass V. Not just a new color.

http://theaviationist.com/2012/08/30/have-glass/

Aaron

That is its official name, but, with all due respect to Mr. Cenciotti, that article is nothing more than speculation. At this time, there are still jets coming out of depot with the standard paint, so it clearly isn't destined for fleetwide service any time soon. I've interviewed a few different commanders in the test squadrons recently and they didn't even know what the plans are for this scheme.

How many squadrons are repainting their F-16'S this color? Is it a new T.O. to repaint to this.

So far, just the 85th Test & Evaluation Squadron at Eglin and the 445th Flight Test Squadron at Edwards. There is a single example with the Minnesota ANG.

Jake

Edited by jmel

The SC ANG also has one....recently brought it down to Nellis to play. A photographer has pics of her up on flicker.

D'oh! You're absolutely right. 92-3916 has been painted in this scheme, but when I shot it in November it hadn't received its full squadron markings.

Jake

It will be interesting to see the tail art on that bird if it gets any. Their logo is so large theres no way it will be in color. Also, Im surprised that two ANG units have a Guinea pig but the ANG test group in Tuscon doesnt have one. Jake have you seen the SC ANG bird with "tail art" so to speak?

Also, Im surprised that two ANG units have a Guinea pig but the ANG test group in Tuscon doesnt have one. Jake have you seen the SC ANG bird with "tail art" so to speak?

I believe the Have Glass signature reduction effort is only meant for sead tasked aircraft. MN and SC are both block 50 equipped units. I believe the AATC is only tasked with testing on block 25 or 30 aircraft.

Edited by Rank11

I believe the Have Glass signature reduction effort is only meant for sead tasked aircraft. MN and SC are both block 50 equipped units. I believe the AATC is only tasked with testing on block 25 or 30 aircraft.

That makes sense. And Shaw still has the Have Glass 4 schemes. Nellis with the 422nd as well. Hopefully well see more units and AC soon, I like this new-ish scheme.

I believe the AATC is only tasked with testing on block 25 or 30 aircraft.

AATC is responsible for testing all platforms in the ANG and AFRC, not just F-16s. Although they only possess Block 25 and 32 F-16s in their stable, they work very closely with other test squadrons, such as the 85th TES at Eglin.

Despite what the article says, I wouldn't expect this scheme to be very widespread any time soon. I'm sure funding has a lot to do with it.

Jake

• 1 month later...

You got them back from the printers? Hell, I'm ready to order once you turn on the links :D/>/>/>/>

The instant the FedEx guy leaves here and I can review them for quality, I'll turn on the links. I expect that to be any minute.

Smart aleck. :D/

Edited by jmel
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I can only claim luck on that one. I was already printing invoices when your order came in, so the timing was perfect. As of now, it's winging its way to you in Poland.

Jake