@Ishthe47guy

Finished Skunkworks a couple weeks ago and man that was awesome!

Right now I'm finishing the last chapter of this one and it is amazing. I laughed (how can you not when you read about the Vice Wing Commander being accidentally ejected from the aircraft), I cried, I got angry, and I was humbled. Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/Bury-Us-Upside-Down-Pilots/dp/0345465385

51D1ZtSqK7L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Edited by Whiskey

I recently re-read "Between Silk and Cyanide" - a great book for anyone interested in WWII, espionage and cryptography. Highly recommended.

9573510.jpg

I am currently reading "The Weapon Wizards - How Israel Became A High-Tech Military Superpower". Fascinating book that once again shows what human ingenuity, hard work and an high-quality educational system can accomplish for a nation.

29959016.jpg

10 hours ago, Whiskey said:

@Ishthe47guy

Finished Skunkworks a couple weeks ago and man that was awesome!

Right now I'm finishing the last chapter of this one and it is amazing. I laughed (how can you not when you read about the Vice Wing Commander being accidentally ejected from the aircraft), I cried, I got angry, and I was humbled. Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/Bury-Us-Upside-Down-Pilots/dp/0345465385

51D1ZtSqK7L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Bury Us Upside Down is one of the best books I have read. I could not put it down. A must read.  I need to read Misty now. 

After I read it, all I wanted to do was build a F-100F. 

Edited by okthree

Read many books this winter and spring.

1. Dunkirk.. by Sebag Montefiore.... May be the only book on the subject I have read that didn't have a slant. I 

Recommend it!

2. Blindmans Bluff..by Sherry Sontag & Christopher Drew... This came recommended by a submariner, and he

Was right!

3. The Royals.. by Kitty Kelly... Basically exposes the Royal Family. 

4. U-Boat Ace.. by Jordan Vause... This also came recommended. Good book!

5. Taking of K129..by Josh Dean... How to steal a submariner! Interesting book that parallels Blindmans Bluff

Gary

2 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

2. Blindmans Bluff..by Sherry Sontag & Christopher Drew... This came recommended by a submariner, and he

Was right!

5. Taking of K129..by Josh Dean... How to steal a submariner! Interesting book that parallels Blindmans Bluff

Gary

Both are great books. If you liked "Blind Man's Bluff", you may like "Red November"; which is basically the same stories told from the Soviet side.

The effort to raise the K129 was, of course, also told in "Project Azorian"  - there is also a 2011 movie with the same title that I highly recommended. It was available on Netflix for several years, but I just checked and it seems to be gone.

The Mighty Eighth
Thunderbolts Triumphant
Viper Pilot
The Generals
(a counterpart to The Admirals but I was disappointed that it looked at Marshall, MacArthur and Patton in stead of the first two and Eisenhower. Patton, while charismatic and controversial, wasn't on the same level, rank-wise.)

The Supreme Commander (about Eisenhower because of the failure of the The Generals)

The Illustrated A Brief History Of Time
Wave-off!

Also read a dozen or so magazines I got in trade here that have been gathering dust.

Currently about done with Winning is Not Enough, the autobiography of Jackie Stewart.

21 hours ago, KursadA said:

Both are great books. If you liked "Blind Man's Bluff", you may like "Red November"; which is basically the same stories told from the Soviet side.

The effort to raise the K129 was, of course, also told in "Project Azorian"  - there is also a 2011 movie with the same title that I highly recommended. It was available on Netflix for several years, but I just checked and it seems to be gone.

I'll look for Red November!

Glt

Looking at my reading pile it seems daunting! There is Tommy Franks book American Soldier. Two more John Gierach books. (I'm in the middle of Fly Fishing Small Streams right now). Unbroken by Hillenbrand. Plus at least a dozen more. 

Gary

Finally finished Termite Hill by Tim Wilson. Historical fiction about the Thuds out of Takhli during Rolling Thunder. Really good read about daily F-105 operations and missions over North Vietnam. Only thing I didn't like about it was that the the book includes a storyline that follows the antagonist's perspective, in this case an NVA officer who tries to shoot the American's down. Not really my cup of tea. Wasn't one of my "can't put it down" books but still enjoyable nontheless.

Termite Hill

51S38B4CQ4L._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

On 5/2/2019 at 3:34 AM, Ishthe47guy said:

Fight Fight, by Kevin Miller.  If you like modern day USN carrier aviation, then read this.  Its a novel where  China starts a shooting conflict with the US & its allies in the South China Sea.

https://www.amazon.com/Kevin-Miller/e/B00N72NNC0/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

In the same vein as Kevin Miller's series, Lions of the Sky by Paco Chierici was also an excellent read.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NSGRXCZ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1

On 5/12/2019 at 12:50 AM, Whiskey said:

Finally finished Termite Hill by Tim Wilson. Historical fiction about the Thuds out of Takhli during Rolling Thunder. Really good read about daily F-105 operations and missions over North Vietnam.

Did you also read Lucky's Bridge and Tango Uniform? All part of the trilogy by Wilson.

Although supposedly fiction I recognize a few of the guys I flew with in the characters he presents.

All good reads.

Cheers :cheers:

Itch 

Hi Itch,

No I haven't read those yet, Termite Hill being the first in the series, but I do plan on picking them up to finish the trilogy.

Right now I've moved onto, and already almost finished, Stealth Fighter: A Year in the Life of an F-117 Pilot by LT. COL. (ret) William O' Connor. Very good book and recommended if you want to read about what it's like to JUST be a pilot in the USAF and the possibility of flying into combat for the first time.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13196599-stealth-fighter

9780760341353.jpg

I've just picked this up from my library for my next escape.

ED-AY566_bkrvto_JV_20190425133941.jpg

Edited by Whiskey

For fiction I enjoyed Targets of Opportunity by Joe Weber:

Image result for joe weber targets of opportunity

Its about a small and classified group of U.S. pilots flying a captured Mig-17 and using it against the North Vietnamese during the Vietnam War.

For non-fiction I REALLY enjoyed Apache by Ed Macy:

Image result for Apache ed macy

True story of British Apache drivers in Afghanistan. Two thumbs up!

Last one is Ambush Alley by Tim Pritchard (non-fiction):

Image result for Ambush Alley

I really enjoyed this! Great read, enthralling, good writing...again, two thumbs up! I am actually looking at acquiring a 1/35 EAAK equipped AAVP-7a1 after finishing this book.

Enjoy and happy reading all!

Don

EDIT: Have I mentioned The Last Punisher by Kevin Lacz already?

Image result for The last punisher

Anyways, I finished it a while ago and loved it! Worth the read.

Edited by Don
  • 3 months later...

Not sure how many motorsport fans there are here, Formula 1 to be specific, but I just finished reading this book...

Image result for Senna vs Prost book

...and loved it! Great insight into Formula 1, Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna and many other well known names of the sport from the 70's to mid-90's. Well worth the read if you are an auto racing enthusiast.

Now I need to find another Formula 1 book to read as I really enjoyed this one. Anyone have any suggestions?

Happy modeling... and reading... all!

On 10/12/2018 at 6:06 PM, Slartibartfast said:

I've been wanting to read the German pespective of the final year of the war.

I'm currently reading Normandy '44 by James Holland. It's been very inclusive of all sides, both from overall viewpoints during the preparations on both sides to battle-specific comparisons. It's well documented and well written. 

Purchased this on a whim, I ended up loving it.  Complete history of the design & manufacturing of the P-51.  Hundreds of very high quality pictures.   Must have for anyone passionate about the Mustang, pretty reasonably priced as well. 

51FICX3AZ0L._SY385_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Aside from that, just read Tiamat's Wrath, the latest book in The Expanse series by James SA Corey, which has turned into my favorite SF series.   These books are fantastic.  Also have David McCullough latest book, the Pioneers, in the queue.   

• 2 months later...

Recently finished The Last Chapter: The Facts About The Final Days of Grumman.  An informative read for anybody that worked at the Iron Works.

Now rereading The Last Stand of the Tin Can SailorsVery highly recommended! I first got this book for my father, who commanded a Butler-class ship out of Perth Amboy in the Reserve. 

Still trying to figure out why I'm reading a book about The Civil War, haven't in 20 years, but I got this book for free from my kids elementary school. Figured I may as well take it home as its way out every students comprehension level there. Haven't quite made an opinion about it as I'm just trying to finish it first but it's definitely interesting.

51oECb7yk+L._AC_SY400_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Hill-Decisive-Battle-Vicksburg/dp/1932714197

19 hours ago, Jagdtiger46 said:

I'm almost sorry to say that I buy very few books for reading, spending most of my available hobby references cash instead, on pictorial type publications, like this.

Nice books. I have a soft spot for StuG's. I may need to check those out.

Based on your username I suspect you're a fellow Tiger fan? Or just the Hunting Tiger? I love the entire Tiger line (as my avatar hints at). My preference is the Royal/King Tiger but oddly enough I've built more Tiger I variants then Tiger II's.

Anyways, I think I mentioned  this book in this thread a long time ago but its a great book for Tiger I fans (lots of photos):

Image result for Tigers in Normandy book

For more reading and less pictures this is an outstanding read:

Image result for Tigers in the mud book

I have his Tiger 217 as a planned built for a later date. I'd also like to do his Jagdtiger 201 when he was commander of Schwere Panzerjäger-Abteilung 512.

Anyways, thanks for the book recommendations.

Happy modeling all!