Tiger, Jagdtiger, StuG, SdKfz 251, and Panzer IV, I like them all. As for tanks (German), my favorite, naturally enough, is the Tiger, for tank destroyers, the Jagdtiger, no question about it. (In fact, the 1:16 Trumpeter Jagdtiger is on my short list of kits to acquire.)

The Schiffer books in the Legends series are a great value, in my opinion; great photos, glossy paper stock, hardbound, good prices and with easy to read descriptions. I highly recommend them.

04Fusx.jpg

This is by no means all of the Tiger references I have, but does reflect the general spirit of the books I've been prone to buy in the last few years.

1CkwYJ.jpg

mHwCtE.jpg

k2BVbb.jpg

Edited by Jagdtiger46
On 1/13/2014 at 12:43 PM, Exhausted said:

Greetings fellow netizens,

This thread is about books you begin and finish this year. This isn't a contest for numbers, just a chance to share what you read and your take on it. With that being said, I have completed my first book, read entirely this year.

11 Days of Christmas by Marshall Michel III

It's a great insight into SAC's Vietnam days, from LeMay's continual reluctance (since Korea) to commit SAC bombers to non-nuclear conflict to the micro-management that nearly dooms Linebacker II. Michel introduces the points of views of President Nixon, the newly elected congress, Joint Chiefs, BUFF crews on from Andersen and U-Tapao, Wild Weasel and Phantom crews, as well as the meager MiG and SAM crews assigned to Hanoi's defense.

All I can say is that it appears that no single decision is wholly responsible for the outcome of the Second Indo-China War, but instead a series of questionable ones from people at all levels.

I recently finished a boot titled Tank Rider about a young Russian's trip to Berlin ontop a tank. Very good! Then I read Legend. All I can say is wow! It's about Roy Benivedas and his life in the combat zone. You'll learn how he won the CMH while spending about five hours combat time in his second tour. A must read!

Currently reading " And I Lived To Tell It All" but George Jones! Good book so far.

Gary

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Dragons Jaw, by Stephen Coonts and Barret Tillman.

True story about the efforts by the USAF & USN to destroy the Thanh Hoa Bridge from 1965 to 1972.  It doesn't dumb down the dialogue and technical information for the reader not familiar with military aviation, so for most of the guys on this site, you'd have no problem keeping up.  The authors also spend a fair amount of time documenting the failures of the civilian leadership of the era, pulling no punches. 

5fIJbu.png

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:12 AM, dnl42 said:

I'm currently reading Normandy '44 by James Holland. It's been very inclusive of all sides, both from overall viewpoints during the preparations on both sides to battle-specific comparisons. It's well documented and well written. 

there are two books based on interviews with German Generals. One in the late forties and the other in the early fifties. Both books tell you what was planned and how OKW trashed the plans from one battle to another.

gary

right now reading a small book in it's third revision as new info comes along. Titles Panzer In Defense of Festung / Posen 1945. Will make your hair stand up on the back of your neck! Another I read recently is Messerschmitt Me262. Nothing much about combat, but about the development series that took in many air frames. The author cover just about every experimental version built, and then the prototypes handed over to regular units to learn on. I recommend this book if your interested in the 262. the book strikes out a lot of revisionists history, and gives the reader some serious insights.

gary

Just finished Rick Atkinson’s The British Are Coming.   Fantastic book about the first year of the Revolutionary War, From Bunker Hill to Princeton.  

Amazing how a bunch of scrubs through pure grit / and or luck continually managed to outfight the most formidable military on the planet.   The cause was held together by Washington, who although he made some pretty bad mistakes at times, was always able to extract his more mobile forces from total disaster.  Try as they might, the British generals could never tie down the rebels for one climatic battle and as they chased them through the countryside, they ended up alienating the majority of the population, including many loyalists.  

Seems to be many parallels to our adventure in Afghanistan.   Well worth reading. 

My newest acquisitions:

NAA B-45 Tornado: Warpaint No.118 by Kev Darling -- hopefully there's info or photos not found in Fredriksen's The B-45 Tornado book.
Lockheed P-38 Lightning by Jerry Scutts

Above Average: Naval Aviation the Hard Way by D.D. Smith
Roger Ball!: The Odyssey Of John Monroe "Hawk" Smith Navy Fighter Pilot by Donald E. Auten
The Last Fighter Pilot: The True Story of the Final Combat Mission of World War II by Don Brown -- Unfortunately titled but a good read.  Includes a first-hand account of the
Japanese attacking sleeping aircrew on Iwo Jima.

Just finished "The Quiet Warrior" about Admiral Ray Spruance...Started last night "Indianapolis" by Lynn Vincent about the sinking of that ship. I have read that other popular book about the Indy and the shark attacks and court marshal of the Capt. See what this one has. 

Cheers everybody...and stay safe! Ron

Just got Kindle versions of The Good Shepherd (basis for the upcoming Greyhound movie) and Mission Beyond Darkness for $0.99. Amazon had other $0.99 offers. 

I know armor isn't huge around here, but I jut finished this book:

Red Army Tank Commander: At War in A T-34 on the Eastern Front by ...

I thought it was a good read and a nice companion book to Tigers in the mud and others from the German perspective.

Happy modeling all!

On 3/28/2020 at 11:26 AM, Ishthe47guy said:

Dragons Jaw, by Stephen Coonts and Barret Tillman.

True story about the efforts by the USAF & USN to destroy the Thanh Hoa Bridge from 1965 to 1972.  It doesn't dumb down the dialogue and technical information for the reader not familiar with military aviation, so for most of the guys on this site, you'd have no problem keeping up.  The authors also spend a fair amount of time documenting the failures of the civilian leadership of the era, pulling no punches. 

5fIJbu.png

Recently read it. Good book. 

11 hours ago, Whiskey said:

@Don I would be interested in reading a memoir or story of a Soviet tank crew on T-55's or 72's during the height of the Cold War. Any recommendations?

Oh I wish there were some! There may be first hand accounts of T-54/55 crews as well as T-62, T-64, T-72, T-80 but nothing in the English language that I've found. There are many excellent design/tech references out there on these types, but nothing memoir like. I do recommend this book written by a fellow modeler if you ever choose to learn more about the T-55 (there is a companion book for the T-54 also recommended):

Soviet T-55 Main Battle Tank by James Kinnear

Great book, not overly technical, great photos. You will walk away knowing a great deal about the most produced tank type in history (90,000-100,000 produced and still used). Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Happy reading and modeling!

2 hours ago, Don said:

Oh I wish there were some! There may be first hand accounts of T-54/55 crews as well as T-62, T-64, T-72, T-80 but nothing in the English language that I've found. There are many excellent design/tech references out there on these types, but nothing memoir like. I do recommend this book written by a fellow modeler if you ever choose to learn more about the T-55 (there is a companion book for the T-54 also recommended):

Soviet T-55 Main Battle Tank by James Kinnear

Great book, not overly technical, great photos. You will walk away knowing a great deal about the most produced tank type in history (90,000-100,000 produced and still used). Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Happy reading and modeling!

Interesting...  I might have to check that book out.  On a related note, this site has probably the best summary of Soviet tank / APC info on the web.   I'm currently reading their report on the T-54 on my lunch breaks.   Great details, lots of pictures and very good info on the technical development of each of the vehicles they showcase.

https://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.com/p/home.html

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Interesting...  I might have to check that book out.  On a related note, this site has probably the best summary of Soviet tank / APC info on the web.   I'm currently reading their report on the T-54 on my lunch breaks.   Great details, lots of pictures and very good info on the technical development of each of the vehicles they showcase.

https://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.com/p/home.html

Cool! I'm off to check that site out now. Always good to have more resources.

Thanks!

Here`s a twist. I`m busy listing books to sell. Got my hands on a booklot from an estate in my vicinity a good while back....all for free! All aviation related and talking approx. 6-700 lbs. I`ve cherry picked me a couple titles for my own collection but 98% i`m moving on to new owners. What can i say, i got lucky. This pic was taken AFTER the car was emptied of most of the books. Easy $1000 worth. I just sold three books for $100, lol. Haven`t even sold a small fraction and sold for maybe $3-400 by now. The car was also free. Given to me by my uncle just a few days prior to the booklot showing up on my radar. The lord indeed works in mysterious ways. This is really helping me taking my mind of the potent situation at hand these days. Next in line, some fancy french books i have no idea where to list. Bertrand, Dewoitine, Caudron, etc. hahahahahahaha 🤓

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATY3ZmYAZS04MGRlLTc4MjgtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADciWwm%2FQ2Bki%2BMZbL0uB9vQcAvMUhIQDFA95Mpp5jZlCZk0IAAAIBDwAAALzFISEAxQPeTKaeY2ZQmZNCAAQgPuSfAAAAARIAEAB9R5pr8UkARbrFrzhuE9Wx&thumbnailType=2&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=2020032904.07&isc=1&X-OWA-CANARY=QUFGJZUKbUenPgW-IpZ61pDpogw32tcYVz1H4kllPalJYnPzXQn8tfZfoLsvOAfdu2hV8g3cyfE.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjU2MzU4ODUyMzRCOTI1MkRERTAwNTc2NkQ5RDlGMjc2NTY1RjYzRTIiLCJ4NXQiOiJWaldJVWpTNUpTM2VBRmRtMmRueWRsWmZZLUkiLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.SduH2xtTPXmGuGRZ8ZTRnjoGl_pYiW3mcevKvdfRqTL5510lpeHPf2OGzez0wsjlIBHZFPGMiTH9T1UCQxBHKT02H4G8a5qB-il8KXX-B4359o62yqZSfvwZjYRRmzv8k-s42OHnQaYV5n3aGJhrlO1pJu2VmWncpgO2O_H_yXpbx8AxUXCzLCrh-0AGWlYZJyJMZ58O7g6JX0a-9bQjy4q11Z0YGJse_6Ha4zqV_DbtHBJzDPDPMg_zIkrxU8rW-f8GrUfpJPJA5J44rWZBfi32K1xXrJI0NAAHxAM2qrA-V6mglVN5icIALnG0SygfQqigcq4J0bop6Avo9WzgXA&animation=true GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATY3ZmYAZS04MGRlLTc4MjgtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADciWwm%2FQ2Bki%2BMZbL0uB9vQcAvMUhIQDFA95Mpp5jZlCZk0IAAAIBDwAAALzFISEAxQPeTKaeY2ZQmZNCAAQgPuSfAAAAARIAEAByw0PIZvOISqJzdUXkfqyI&thumbnailType=2&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=2020032904.07&isc=1&X-OWA-CANARY=zZIsTptzC0GIrlN2hb_axLD8KkE32tcY_2Cn4KYq5Z2dqo1_ljgz1tfLJVUGqBQy9zjaY5UuZco.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjU2MzU4ODUyMzRCOTI1MkRERTAwNTc2NkQ5RDlGMjc2NTY1RjYzRTIiLCJ4NXQiOiJWaldJVWpTNUpTM2VBRmRtMmRueWRsWmZZLUkiLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.cmFPnJh4r4JgkQSUu8Ry-Rx56o1LHTEaemWYbKSFbNuaNP_hVi2dxklQELSMla8jZ8yTcM8SHy2rCwGUAIB0LQW_406hLlcBFlJZpWZWVCQBv4RvtNcMErUW-Pszq81am5owJLc7BHghMN3b1Ima9f6wp7IaM8_puLlvD2rwHaZHARabpWB9zLjwkkbjOu-6k-0I8AFNgksfGkt0pRKVF-WanLhaym3rsadtjBkPao9qlR0GybPU7nh-gSP26egPuqwt2NhxPG9vf7FT5hMbZS1ZsDmaKo_qF4LC6-8cMMDf7RYtlmIF5urqr1j3vbPRln9Dx8UrH7IBI-TjIXYKiA&animation=true

3 hours ago, breadneck said:

Here`s a twist. I`m busy listing books to sell. Got my hands on a booklot from an estate in my vicinity a good while back....all for free! All aviation related and talking approx. 6-700 lbs. I`ve cherry picked me a couple titles for my own collection but 98% i`m moving on to new owners. What can i say, i got lucky. This pic was taken AFTER the car was emptied of most of the books. Easy $1000 worth. I just sold three books for $100, lol. Haven`t even sold a small fraction and sold for maybe $3-400 by now. The car was also free. Given to me by my uncle just a few days prior to the booklot showing up on my radar. The lord indeed works in mysterious ways. This is really helping me taking my mind of the potent situation at hand these days. Next in line, some fancy french books i have no idea where to list. Bertrand, Dewoitine, Caudron, etc. hahahahahahaha 🤓

can't see your pics...

• 1 year later...

So I read books like they  are going extinct!!

I have several books on the go:

1.   NEXT STOP EXECUTION by Oleg GORDIEVSKY (he was a Russian  spy).

2.  CHURCHILLS MINISTRY OF UNGENTLEMANLY WARFARE.  by Giles MARTIN.

3.  THE RAJ AT WAR.by Yasmin KHAN.

4.   DOUBLE  CROSS. by Ben MacIntyre.

and so many more...lots of Aviation books too.

:whistle:

Super  factual  reading!

Enjoy reading yoyr books  and opening your minds.

:banana:

The final book in “The Expanse” Sci-Fi series is coming out next week.   Hands down - the best SF I’ve ever read.  if anyone’s even remotely into this genre, I highly recommend you check these books out.   

I've read both Normandy '44 and Dragon's Jaw.  Both excellent books.  I also read Battle of Britain by Holland as well, another excellent book that also covers the Battle of France and Dunkirk in some detail, not just the Battle of Britain.  Doing so helps set the stage.  Got it by accident at my local library.  Went to check the book out and it wouldn't.  The librarian looked and said they were disposing of it (it was still on a shelf!) and I could have it.  I'll never turn down a good and free book!

I also recently read a book contending that the Royal Navy was a big reason Hitler wouldn't and couldn't invade.  It does make a some compelling arguments.

Finally, reading a couple of my SR-71 books I haven't read in a while.  I don't like to read a tall (sarcasm alert!)...

Tom

On 10/21/2021 at 4:16 AM, HOLMES said:

2.  CHURCHILLS MINISTRY OF UNGENTLEMANLY WARFARE.  by Giles MARTIN. 

Among the many books I’ve read since my last contribution to this thread, Martin’s book was one of them.  Churchill sure liked Tommy guns!

Edited by Slartibartfast