Books 2-3 of Song of Fire and Ice

SSN by Tom Clancy

Finish the Wheel of Time series.

Hobbit reread

Would like to reread Clancys' Red Storm Rising again for the umpteenth time.

All the rule books for the numerous CCC,LCG,and board games I have and have not yet played.

DONS Airbrush Tips ! (priority read)

JYD

Books 2-3 of Song of Fire and Ice

SSN by Tom Clancy

Finish the Wheel of Time series.

Hobbit reread

Would like to reread Clancys' Red Storm Rising again for the umpteenth time.

All the rule books for the numerous CCC,LCG,and board games I have and have not yet played.

DONS Airbrush Tips ! (priority read)

JYD

Did you see the hobbit movie. That was a pretty good movie

Since the stash is on the other side of the world for now, photography and reading are my main leisure time activities, and I've been busy this month, going through a book every 4 days or so (lots of time off during the week...)

Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety.... It really gives some insight into the recent reports of misconduct among the nuclear missile force.

Frozen in Time: An Epic Story of Survival and a Modern Quest for Lost Heroes of World War II ... True story about a rescue mission in Greenland for a B-17 crew and a Grumman Duck crew. This was the same area that the P-38 flight with "Glacier Girl" went down, and it was the same individual that lead the recovery team for Glacier Girl that lead the team for the recovery of the Grumman Duck.

One Hundred Years of U.S. Navy Airpower... Just as the title says. Its a very dry read, kind of like those mass lectures in college everyone had to sit through.

We Will Destroy Your Planet, by David McIntee. A comical mixture of astronomy and human observation. Think along the same vein as Zombie Survival Guide. Author throws in lots of real astrological data, but also brings up stuff like Marvin the Martian's Q-36 space modulator.

Me 262 Stormbird: From the Pilots Who Flew, Fought, and Survived It. Pretty detailed account of the 262s activities during the war, with plenty of personal reflections.

Detail and Scale F3H Demon. There is a lot more text in the book now that its in e-pub (Kindle) format than with the older, paper format.

My book for this week:

Sweating the Metal: Flying Under Fire. A Chinook Pilot's Blistering Account of Life, Death and Dust in Afghanistan.

Even though I've been in the Chinook community for over 20 years, this is the first book I've ever read about us. The author is a RAF pilot, but given a 'hooker is a 'hooker regardless of the flag on the uniform, I know I'm going to be able to relate to many of the situations in the book.

Just finished up reading "The Archer's Tale" by Bernard Cornwell. It is part one of a four part series. If you enjoy Medieval History in any way I would highly recommend it. Started the second part called Vagabond last night and am already halfway through. Just can't put his books down. I envision I will be reading every book he has written this year.

I've just read "Valley of Death" by Ted Morgan. It's about the French in IndoChina, Dein Bien Phu specifically. Very good read.

The French were trying to hang on to their old colony but were horribly unprepared to do it militarily or politicaly. The country was bankrupt after the war, couldn't keep a stable government and were dependent on their colonial troops(Algerian, Morrocan) and Legionares to handle most of the fighting.

Again very good read on a not well known conflict.

I just finished reading "D-Day in the Pacific: The Battle of Saipan" by Harold Goldberg. I have been on a WWII - Pacific War kick for the past year. This is a very good account of the Saipan invasion, which hasn't been covered as in depth as Iwo or Okinawa. Highly recommended. Before that I read "The Last Epic Naval Battle: Voices from Leyte Gulf" by David Sears. This one started out slow and confusing but did describe the battle very well in the later chapters.

Next up: Battle for Tinian

Steve

Another great book that I finished a while ago:

The Outpost - An Untold Story of American Valor

by Jake Tapper

The story of a small infantry unit assigned to COP Keating in 2009. They were nearly overrun during a massive Taliban attack. They held off the enemy but suffered heavy losses during the battle and in the months prior.

Very much a grunt's eye view of modern combat but it also focuses on many mistakes made by mid and high-level army leadership that contributed to the losses they suffered.

Very highly recommenced.

Going to keep my list going...might be long by the end of the year.

Books 12 and 13 of the Audrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian.

Awesome series for people interested in 18 and 19th century warfare at sea, or just period history pieces.

The first couple of books in the series I literally read with a dictionary and a book about Napoleonic era warships at hand. Got easier from the 3rd book on, as they seem more reader friendly from there on..

Operation Sea Lion, The German Plan to Invade Britian, 1940. By Egbert Kieser.

The history of Sea Lion, from a German author. Interesting and gives some different angles to view some of the historical facts.

Hit The Beach, The Drama of Amphibious Warfare. By Simon Foster.

Looks into Gallipoli, Inchon and the Falklands in some detail. Decent read.

Knight's Cross, A Life of Field Marshall Erwin Rommel. By David Fraser.

A fairly balanced account of Rommel's career. But Mr. Fraser seems to idolize him a bit too much, and reaches his own conclusions about what Rommel felt or knew at different times. But all in all a decent read.

Sled Driver. By Brian Schul.

Needs no introduction. But boy am I glad I borrowed this one and didn't pay for it. Book of the "it goes very very high and very very fast variety" If you want details of the SR-71, look elsewhere. (e.g. Paul Crickmore)

If you want some great pictures, and stories about how cool it felt to fly the "sled", then this book is what you want. Lots of typos however. Definitely not worth the entry price...unless you borrow.

Spacesuits. By Amanda Young.

Brief history of the development of the US Spacesuits, with special emphasis on conservation. Short and very informative...and great pictures.

The Lightning Boys. By Richard Pike.

Collection of short stories mostly by Lightning aircrew. Nice book to escape reality for a bit...but don't expect to learn anything new...

Currently Reading:

Lang Kyst. (English: Long Coast)

Book about the merchant shipping traffic off the coast of Norway during WWII.

Ken

Edited by Helidriver

Got this for x-mas:

Wings of the Luftwaffe - Flying the Captured German Aircraft of WW2 by Capt Eric Brown, RN

This guy flew more WW2 German aircraft than any other allied pilot. Very interesting to read his analysis of what it was like to fly a large number of Luftwaffe aircraft.

Also on my x-mas list:

The Good Soldiers by David Finkel

This guy was assigned to an Army infantry unit in Iraq during the worst phase of the war, at the beginning of "the surge". A very good read, although somewhat depressing. Definitely NOT an "oohrah" type of book but worth the time nonetheless. Best Book of the Year award by the NY Times and many others.

For all you Phantomphiles out there, here's a good one, AND its only $1.99 in he kindle store right now:

Phantom from the Cockpit: Flying the Legend

Its about the British experience with the F-4. It can be dry and technical at times, but the chapters written by the pilots and navs are first rate. It also has a very good chapter on the difficulties they had with the Spey engine.

It made me realize that I have absolutely nothing RN or RAF F-4 wise in the stash. The search commences...

11B, I just downloaded The Good Soldiers based on your post.

Just finished "Until They Are Home" by Thomas T. Smith.

A personal memoir written by the Commander of the MIA search teams in Vietnam during 2003-04. The book highlights the search teams' dedication, devotion, and expertise. It includes numerous insights of Vietnamese culture and negotiations with the Vietnamese. The book also touches on political currents, repatriation ceremonies, and operations in adjacent countries. I was surprised to see the lengths that JPAC and it's predecessors go through to investigate and attempt to recover the unaccounted. Simply extraordinary.

Good book but at 126 pages it was too short.

Jim S

Osprey Aircraft of the Aces 11 - Bf-109D/E Aces 1939-1940

Great compliment to the Bf-110 book and it finally answered my question about Bf-109D operations, and where they finally went. I sense a fascinating subject to model soon! I can't wait to hunt one down at the model show this Saturday!