On 6/16/2016 at 11:30 PM, ChesshireCat said:

Just found a book that I've forgotten I've owned. "Notes Of A Russian Sniper" by Vassilli Zaitsev! Needless to say this book has moved to the top of the list. The forward in the book is written by Vasily Chuikov, Marshal Of The Soviet Union.

Like Christmas in June!!

Gary

That's an excellent book. Check out "War of the Rats" by David Robbins. A fictionalized account of Zaitsev and Stalingrad. It compliments Zaitsev's book. 

I read Joe Sutter's EXCELLENT book on the 747 a while back...

joesutter1-large.jpg

... and went looking for something similar. I couldn't find anything that seemed to be like Sutter's book so I ended up getting The Boeing 747 Owners Workshop Manual by Chris Wood...

51wlXQT7ibL._AC_US218_.jpg

...Its actually a really good book! Great general overview of the 747 from 1970 until today, lots of great pictures. I enjoyed it. I actually pre-ordered the companion book on the A380 which is due to be out Wednesday.

Regards,

Don

I am reading “Hunter Killers” by Iain Ballantyne. This is a great book about Royal Navy submarines and their exploits from the immediate postwar period to the present. Reads pretty much like the British equivalent of “Blind Man’s Bluff” (another highly recommended book about USN submarine operations), with lots of interesting stories and details.

• 8 months later...

Just got this delivered courtesy of my friends at Amazon Prime:

51XdUSvw1GL._SX357_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

If anyone is remotely into the Thud, it's highly recommend.   Great mix of tech data (including lots of copies of old manuals), history and pilot anecdotes.  Also includes a complete set of 1/72nd plans for every variant. 

On an interesting side note, students of the Thud may recall "The Polish Glider".  It was a -105 that was flown by a Polish American pilot who survived 120 missions over N Vietnam in this aircraft.   The nickname also refers to the non-existent gliding ability of the Thud in the event of an engine failure.  Anyway, the Polish Glider current resides in a museum Krakow, Poland!  Kind of ironic.  They did a good job of restoring it, the book has a nice selection of walkaround pics of this aircraft. 

4 left on Amazon, get em while you can....

Wow, I forgot about this thread. I've read at least twenty books since my last entry.

I just finished The Admirals: Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy, and King--The Five-Star Admirals Who Won the War at Sea

and just started Churchill Warrior: How a Military Life Guided Winston's Finest Hours

Edited by Slartibartfast

Just finished some first-person accounts, Rickenbacker's  Fighting the Flying Circus: The Memoirs of America's Greatest Ace (which I read as a teen decades ago...) and Gentile's One Man Air Force. Just started Pacific Thunder: The US Navy's Central Pacific Campaign, August 1943–October 1944.

I should be getting the Republic F-105 Thunderchief book mentioned by 11bee tomorrow.

On 7/28/2018 at 4:34 PM, 11bee said:

Just got this delivered courtesy of my friends at Amazon Prime:

51XdUSvw1GL._SX357_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

If anyone is remotely into the Thud, it's highly recommend.   Great mix of tech data (including lots of copies of old manuals), history and pilot anecdotes.  Also includes a complete set of 1/72nd plans for every variant. 

The book is excellent!!!!!

Thanks for the recommendation :thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Glad to help a fellow Thud enthusiast!  Really like the format of this book, will be interested to see what subjects they have in the queue.     

On 7/31/2018 at 5:12 PM, 11bee said:

Glad to help a fellow Thud enthusiast!  Really like the format of this book, will be interested to see what subjects they have in the queue.     

You guys talked me into it!  My copy will be delivered tomorrow 😉. Can’t have too many Thud books.

-Derek

On 7/31/2018 at 4:54 PM, dnl42 said:

Wow, it sure is!  My copy just arrived and upon first browse, it does look awesome.  Much appreciated.  You should get a commission 11bee 😂

-Derek

just started "Bastogne" by George Koskimaki. Next in line after Bastogne is "Rising from Ashes" by Terry Hutchens. Been buzzing thru Trout Bum again (probably the fifth time).

gary

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, dehowie said:

Edited by ChesshireCat

I started "MY WAR" By Col.Richard BUCHONG : USAAF retired.

I met Colonel Buchong st PIMA Air museum last Thursday and he signed MY book..

he's a brilliant Ace of a Pilot and is 96 year old . If you can go to the B-17 Flying Fortress Hangar  in PIMA  he will be there to answer questions etc..

:bow:

7 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

You are, or were, here in the States? And you didn't drop by to say "hi"?

Well ,O Wise One.... I should have. 😥

I was in Phoenix for the whole week (and 2 days after) for the Phoenix IPMS NATS show.

I met up with guys from LSP /friends and had a blast.

So next year it's hopefullh The Chattanooga IPMS show in August..the 2020 the SAN MARCOS IPMS SHOW..

Maybe I might see you at one if these if you reveal yourself there !!!

Hope you are fine Slatibartfast ... good to see you ...

🤗

I've read a number of good books over the last while.  Now that I'm retired, I've been doing more reading.

The Madman and The Butcher - Tim Cook - this history and animosity between Arthur Currie and Sam Hughes

No Prouder Place - Dave Bashow - accounts of Canadians in the RCAF and RAF during WWII

Rogue Heroes - Ben Macintyre - history of the formation and exploits of the SAS during WWII

The Necessary War - Tim Cook - part 1 of Canada's involvement in WWIi

Fight to the Finish - Tim Cook -  part 2 of Canada's involvement in WWII

At The Sharp End -  Tim Cook - part I of Canad's involvement in WWI

Shock Troops - Tim Cook - part 2 of Canada's involvement in WWI

No Place To Run - Tim Cook - the Canadian Corps and gas warfare in WWI

Capturing Hill 70 - Delaney and Durflinger - the failed Canadian offensive on Hill 70 and Lens in WWI

All The Fine Young Eagles - Dave Bashow - first hand accounts of Canadian fighter pilots in WWII

Vimy; The Battle and The Legend - Tim Cook - the battle of Vimy Ridge

The Canadair Sabre - Larry Milberry - a complete account of the Canadair Sabre from development, manufacture and Canadian and foreign use at home and abroad

CF-100 - Larry Milberry - the development and deployment of Avro CF-100 Canuck

CF-104 - Dave Bashow - development and deployment of the Starfighter in Canadian service along with many personal anecdote

• 1 month later...

I'm currently reading The Expanse series of sci-fi novels.  It's a 7 book series starting with Leviathan Wakes by James Corey.    It's a truly awesome series of books.  For anyone who's interested in "hard" sci-fi, I strongly recommend these books. 

On the side, I'm also reading A Separate Little War, it's about the RAF Coastal Command Mosquito and Beufighter units who flew anti-shipping missions off of Norway from Banff, Scotland.    Pretty interesting and highly overlooked aspect of WW2 aviation.   Kinda getting me in the mood to build a Tamiya 32nd scale Mosquito!

Currently right in the middle of of Bill O Reilly's The Patriots. end  can highly recommthis book to anyone interested in the very early days of the American Revolution. Seems to be accurate when compared to other books.

Next inline is Stolen Valor by Burkett. Just a quick glance inside, and we see a lot of folks being called out. More on this one later!

Gary

Finished this one:

Image result for d-day through german eyes

I really enjoyed this book and learned a great about D-Day from the German perspective. The book is comprised of a series of interviews of average German soldiers, infantry, panzer troops/panzer crews, artillery, even a soldier who operated the goliath...

800px-Panzermuseum_Munster_2010_0470%2B%25281%2529.JPG

...very interesting and recommended for anyone interested in D-Day.

Regards,

Don

23 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've been wanting to read the German pespective of the final year of the war.  I was looking for something by Jodl and other high-level officers but your reference looks intriguing.  So far, I've read only Luftwaffe pilot stories.

Look for " Hitler's Ardennes Offensive ( The German View of the Battle Of The Bulge)". Written by Danny Parker. ISBN 978-1-5107-0361-2.  There is another book that shows up at used book stores now and then, that's worth finding. Titled "The German Generals Speak". Look for the 1947 copy, as the interviewer had direct contact with them. It's a long slow read, but very interesting. The book covers the whole war. My copy has evaporated, and need to find another copy. 

Gary