'Son Tay Raider' goes home (update)

Gents,

It's going back somewhat but back in July I posted up a selection of Mildenhall 352nd SOG MC-130 pics. I mentioned the 'Son Tay Raider', the ancient MC-130P at Mildenhall that took part in the 1970 raid on the POW camp of that name. With the 67th SOS/352nd SOG receiving new build MC-130Js and several other P models already sent back to the US for Davis-Monthan, it was clear it's days were numbered on the frontline. Well, that day came on Friday (when I was actually just a few miles over the road at Lakenheath and not aware it was going), when 65-0991, calling 'Ripe 41' departed the 'hall went West and headed back stateside for the last time. I don't know if there is any plans to preserve the aircraft, or if it will just end up in bits at DM like the others, but I'd like to think a museum somewhere would be interested and the USAF would allow it.

Here's a few pics from the last few years - I never did get the whole left hand side showing the badge!

7807693178_c97a4fbbf5_b.jpg

7807691972_511766b76c_b.jpg

7807691068_d08f3162d8_b.jpg

IMG_3158_zps802b7cc3.jpg

9443684280_73889b29c1_b.jpg

Now there's only one MC-130P left.

Gary

Edited by gary1701

Thanks for posting the pix and story about '991...I had no idea that one of the aircraft that took part in the raid on Son Tay was still around, and produly serving, too. I guess old warriors come home eventually, but this one looks like it still has some life left in her. Who knows what will happen to her now? I think the Castle Air Museum in Atwater California could use a C-130. It will take someplace with a large enough display area to ensure proper space for viewing; Castle has that for sure.

Thanks again for posting.

Thanks gents. To get a decent well lit photograph of '991 with the badge before she went home was one of the major items on my photo must do list and I never got the opportunity. I checked back and found that I've got pics of the aircraft going back to 2010 at Mildenhall, although the badge seems to have appeared sometime in 2012. I had the pleasure of having a good look around inside the airframe at Duxford in 2012 when it attended an event there (that's where the close up images were taken. There is a gorgeous plaque mounted inside the aircraft with a small summary of it's role in Operation Ivory Coast (The Son Tay Raid). Unfortunately, it was in a location where you just could not get a picture.

I do hope that the aircraft is spared, and finds a good home. That's partly why I posted the info up, hoping that even if there isn't any existing plans for '991, there was just a slim chance the info might reach somebody with some influence.

Gary

Edited by gary1701

Gents,

It's just been announced on the UK enthusiast forums that the last MC-130P Combat Shadow with the 67th SOS in the UK will make a farewell flight this Friday. Link below has the locations and projected times, normal qualifiers aside.

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=287&p=576413#p576413

Weather is not looking good for Friday in the East, grey and overcast. I won't be able to go see it I'm afraid, a week to redundancy and I'll still be stuck at work!

Gary

Edit: I gather that 'Son Tay Raider' will not end up in the boneyard afterall. It will be going to Hulburt Field and will be preserved there. Glad somebody saved it.

Edited by gary1701