What's with Payton Manning's "audible" circus?

OK, admittedly as a Canadian, I don't watch that much NFL football, but I have watched enough games over the years to know what is to be expected from NFL quarterbacks. Once in awhile, you get the quarterback changing things up when he doesn't like what he sees on the defense, so some prancing around while yelling out signals is to be expected- once in awhile! I watched the Chargers/ Broncos game yesterday and I think Manning screamed and yelled and walked all over the field for EVERY play! How annoying! Is it just me or does this behavior drive you nuts as well? Yes, the Broncos are favorites to win the Super Bowl and Manning is one of the best, but C'mon. Is this really necessary?

I'd say very much necessary. It is what sets Manning and Tom Brady( shut up TT :P ) apart. They see the game so much differently than every one else. The two of them do a much better job in my humble opinion call the plays at scrimmage than the OC does from the box or sideline.

The QB sees things on field that no one else does like defensive and offensive coaches. When he calls audible he knows something is up and has to warn the team. 90% of the time these audibles counteract what defence is doing and can make for one hell of a play change. Some do it more than others but when done right yield great results.

Also I don't care for Peyton I'm an Eli Manning guy and a Big Ben Rothlesburger guy. I'm a Steelers diehard fan but love watching the Giants.

lol, this must have been a horrible season for you :P/>

I don't want much NFL either, but I've seen that too. With a proper 20 second play clock, he'd be flagged for Time Count penalties on every single play.

Im sure Peyton would be smart enough to get a snap in 20 seconds.

Edited by camaroz06

He won though didn't he?

I conceded he and the Bronco's are great and their record was much better than the Chargers- and they were playing at home. They should have won. However, he still makes me look the other way and I dread a Bronco's drive with all of his theatrics. Did I mention he was/is annoying? :P

Edited by chuck540z3

He just has a thing for OMAHA!

Given his level of product endorsements, he is probably getting some $ from Omaha Steaks. I also felt that his plug for Bud Light on the post-game interview was a bit over the top.

Regardless, I listened to an interview with a Patriots defensive lineman right before they played the Broncos. His take was that 90% of what Manning was screaming were simply made up words with no relevance to the game. It's just the way he runs his offense. Most QB's take orders from the sidelines. Manning is one of the few that makes most of the decisions on the field.

Whatever you think about this habit, you can't argue with success. The guy got San Diego to jump offsides 5 times last night.

Audibles are important weapons in the arsenal of pocket passers who rely on timing rather than scrambling. All the audibles have a purpose. QBs would not expand so much energy yelling out those audibles just to be cute on TV. The same audible may have a meaning one week, and no meaning the next. 70% of it may even be non-sensical stuff, but it is that 30% that makes a difference. It is all about confusing the defenses and scouts so that no patterns can be deciphered. It is extremely important for offenses based on precision. I am a Steelers fan but I can say Ben Roethlisberger does not rely on audibles all that much because his style of play is not based on extreme coordination with his receivers (i.e. 10-15 yard passes). Payton Manning is probably the top QB who has that style of play. In fact, he demands the same level of concentration and diligence from his receivers. It is not easy to be on the same team as Payton.

Omaha, in particular, gets used by many QBs. I am surprised nobody mentioned how frequently his brother Eli Manning actually uses Omaha. Another thing with Eli is that every snap he feels compelled to point out who the 'Mike' is. Mike is one of the linebackers. Identifying Mike is important for the running backs and the O-line in general.

Another thing with Eli is that every snap he feels compelled to point out who the 'Mike' is. Mike is one of the linebackers. Identifying Mike is important for the running backs and the O-line in general.

I think that is pretty standard amongst all QB's. I know that Brady does this on pretty much every play.

I'd rather hear Manning yell Omaha all damn game instead of hearing those no talent, completely clueless, constantly yammering, butt-kissing blowhards that we have come to call Sportscasters.......

Edited by Johnopfor

I'd rather hear Manning yell Omaha all damn game instead of hearing those no talent, completely clueless, constantly yammering, butt-kissing blowhards that we have come to call Sportscasters.......

Yes, it's getting worse every year. Dan Dierdorf, for instance, was unfortunately so off with his remarks on Saturday. He would say one thing and the complete opposite thing would happen two seconds later. I have no issues with him personally, but I think it is best that it was his last game.

The two I like are Chris Colinsworth and, surprisingly, Trent Dilfer. Chris is good at game analysis. Dilfer I think is much better than Steve Young with post game analysis, even though SY has all the street cred. For some reason it sounds as if SY has to correct everybody around him and that is annoying.

I used to like Mike Mayock, but for some reason, not much anymore. This must be a sin but I like how articulate and smooth Ray Lewis is. I see him having a future in broadcasting. Same goes for Ryan Clark (Steelers safety). He will make it it big on TV.

All said, I am losing my interest in the NFL each passing year. Part of it is the Steelers not doing well. But the main thing is all the injuries these players are enduring. I hate to see body parts flex in ways they are not supposed to.

Anyway, back to the audibles...