What's with Payton Manning's "audible" circus?

Since we've changed direction a bit talking about the CFL, our American friends may not realize just how poorly paid CFL football players are. The TOP quarterback makes about $400K/year and I bet most regular players make less than $100K/year. Not bad dough for you and I, but for professional athletes, these guys are on welfare. I bet NFL rookies make at least $300K/year.

Since we've changed direction a bit talking about the CFL, our American friends may not realize just how poorly paid CFL football players are. The TOP quarterback makes about $400K/year and I bet most regular players make less than $100K/year. Not bad dough for you and I, but for professional athletes, these guys are on welfare. I bet NFL rookies make at least $300K/year.

A lot of people see that as a negative, but honestly, it's one of the reasons I prefer the CFL. There's no reason for anyone to be paid $14 million a year just because he can throw a ball well or put one in a hoop, or because he can skate well, catch a ball with a gigantic mitt, or kick one into a net the size of Alberta.

CFL athletes are extremely good at what they do but they still manage to remain humble about it. I had coffee once in Hamilton with Kevin Glen (he was the QB for the Tiger-Cats at the time). How many other professional athletes do you know that will sit with you in a coffee shop and chat football?

Edited by RiderFan

...There's no reason for anyone to be paid $14 million a year just because he can throw a ball well or put one in a hoop, or because he can skate well, catch a ball with a gigantic mitt, or kick one into a net the size of Alberta.

True, but you are placing their value on what they do as if they are like the rest of us in our work. Like any other money making organization, their value is based on what they make for the company, and players are what makes money for the company. THAT's what they are paid to do. It's their largest asset. As long as the NFL, MLB, NBA etc...make the kind of money they do, then the players will make those huge salaries, which is fair if you ask me. I don't know what kind of budget the CFL has or what kind of market they play to. But I suspect if it were anywhere near the amounts the NFL is dealing with, then players there would be just as compensated. And honestly I have no problem with that.

Bill

The CFL salary cap is expected to go up significantly this year. Albeit, still not in the realm of the NFL.

Considering that all 9 teams play in a nation with a population less than that of California (I doubt that state could support 9 pro football teams), the CFL is doing very well. It's just signed a very large (by Canadian standards) TV contract. TV ratings are easily on par with the NHL in this country (although the hockey zealots refuse to acknowledge that, the numbers are pretty clear), and the CFL always has better ratings than the NFL does in Canada. The Saskatchewan Roughriders sell more merchandise (jerseys, hats, mugs, etc...) than the NHL's Oilers in Flames combined, and more than double the Canucks. They're currently second only to the Leafs in terms of merchandise sales in this country. Along with all that, 6 of its 9 teams have just built or are in the process of building, brand new stadiums, and the remainder teams have done considerable renovations. Atlantic Canada and Quebec city are both in discussions for being the 10th city in the league. I'd like to see a 12 team league but there are just not enough large cities to support them.

So the CFL is doing as well as it's ever been doing.

The CFL salary cap is expected to go up significantly this year. ...So the CFL is doing as well as it's ever been doing.

So there ya go. IF they ever get to the level of finances the NFL is making, they too will be making millions to play. Nothing to do with their actual skills, just their values.

Bill

Peyton wasn't drafted by the Chargers, his brother Eli was ... :thumbsup:/>

-Gregg

Good point and the Chargers ended up with Ryan Leaf. But, Payton was being considered and if I recall correctly made a BIG stink about not wanting to play for them if he got drafted by them. Eli on the otherhand just gave the look of disgust when he DID get drafted by them as he clutched that jersey on stage with all the excitement of a kid at Christmas who opens a present and find it has clothing in it and not the cool toy he wanted.

For all you sometimers, take it from and NFL fan from waaaaaaaay back. Peyton and Tom are masters at the QB position in the NFL. Omaha is his signal to the other guys on the field on offense he's changed the play to the second one called in the huddle. How many times have you heard others like Tony OH NO, yell kill, kill, kill...or some other word once the go under center. Peyton rarely gives the other teams defense time to sub players making it easier for him to see what they're tying to do against him. In the games Denver lost this season the defense failed to hold the other team, Manning put enough points on the board to win. Yeah you're right that's what happens in every game one teams defense fails, well consider this the Broncos averaged 38 pts per game this past season. I'm not a Bronco fan by a long shot, I do like the way some players for other teams play the game. I loved to watch Ray Lewis play other than that he's just another person, hate Tom Brady and the Pats, but ya gotta admit they play the game very good. Love the Cowboys, but can't stand to watch them play of late. I'm a big fan of the old school NFL not these dancin bears who dance after every tackle, for doing what they are paid to do, or the wideouts who scream for a flag every time they don't catch a pass. Someone should check Phillip Rivers foot and see if it has Oscar Mayer or hormel stamped on it, he's a real wiener, but that might give wieners a bad rap.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Continuing with my video submissions...

Interesting, but what's even more interesting to me, is that Randy Moss is actually a very good commentator! I couldn't stand the guy as a player, but I think he's a natural in front of the camera. I'm sure somebody will disagree..... ;)

Chuck, actually, I had the exact same thought about Moss. It was a little tough for me because I've always hated that guy's attitude. But, I have to give him credit where credit is due - he's pretty good on camera.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, did you REALLY have to pull this thread back up as well TT? As if at least THREE other threads related to Manning and the Super Bowl (or the Patriots) with more recent posting activity were not enough for you?

Why don't you spend less time away from the keyboard and more time building models?

Okay, did you REALLY have to pull this thread back up as well TT? As if at least THREE other threads related to Manning and the Super Bowl (or the Patriots) with more recent posting activity were not enough for you?

Yes because it was related to the audibles at the line and i found it funny.

Why don't you spend less time away from the keyboard and more time building models?

huh?

Actually, I'm sort of glad he did, not because there isn't enough Super Bowl threads already, but because the "Audible Circus" cost Denver from the first snap. I really laughed when Manning did his usual walk-up to the line of scrimmage screaming all sorts of his usual nonsense as the ball was snapped way behind him. LOL! I'm still laughing. So much for the Master of Audibles!

On another note, I did- and do- feel sorry for Denver and their fans. Such a great season means nothing if you don't at least compete in the Super Bowl.