I think I'm losing my mind. I'm 50 and I've been out of modeling for a long time. The last model I built was Monogram's Typhoon and not a very good job either when I was 20. By that time however I was already suffering from a form of AMS, I was just buying models. I would go into the Squadron Shop (yes they had walk in hobby stores back in the early and mid 80s) and buy a model a month. I wouldn't put it together, just admire the the plastic details, decals and instructions.

Then I joined the Navy (1984 to 1990). After the Navy it was college at the University of Maryland, 1991 through 1995. After college, marriage from 1995 to the present. So I really hadn't put glue to styrene for a good 30 years.

However, for a the last 5 years I started the model buying habit again. Going into Hobby Lobby or Hobby Town and just buying a model every so often. Over a 5 year period I bought about 14 models. Mostly Tamiya, but a few Revelograms and Eduard. So in 2012, I build two models, Monogram's old P-47D Razorback and the Hasegawa's P-40E. Then comes Christmas and an eBay Account. I ended up bidding for and winning a 12 kit lot of Monogram models. Then I bid for and won a B-24J(Monogram) and a Hasegawa B-47E.

Then I did the dumbest thing in my life. I bought for the B-24, the Eduard BIG ED set and the Quickboost engines. I spent 140 bucks for a kit that cost me 25 bucks with SHIPPING. I have no idea how to work with photo etch, yet I bought the BIG ED set. In fact I started buying after market sets for every model I had in my stash because some reviewer said that the kit was inaccurate and I needed the Aftermarket to make the kit accurate.

When I was building for fun, I would put leftover DECALS on other kits because they looked cool. I would paint models and use decals for the incorrect version of the plane, but I didn't care....it was for fun. Now I'm scared to bring in my only two complete models to my local IPMS group for fear of being eaten alive. "That's the wrong FS color green," or "that plane never had the armament arrangement." I'm not saying that it did happen, but I'm afraid it will. I have NMP, New Modeler Paralysis.

I need help.

Hello,

I find the more I build the better perspective I gain on my "stash", as I realize how long it will take to complete the kits that I have. That makes it easier

to pass up on even really good deals.

Nothing says you need to bring a model to your IPMS club. The whole idea is to have fun, being eaten alive can't be fun. To quote Al Superczynski, MFE, IPMS/USA

#3795,(who passed several years ago) "Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to,and the critics will flame you every time."

The hobby has come such a long way in such a short time it is hard to pass up all of the great kits, aftermarket and reference material out there, sometimes you

just have to. Remember, it's just a hobby, and you're definitely not the only one who needs help.

Jim S

Hello,

I find the more I build the better perspective I gain on my "stash", as I realize how long it will take to complete the kits that I have. That makes it easier

to pass up on even really good deals.

Nothing says you need to bring a model to your IPMS club. The whole idea is to have fun, being eaten alive can't be fun. To quote Al Superczynski, MFE, IPMS/USA

#3795,(who passed several years ago) "Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to,and the critics will flame you every time."

The hobby has come such a long way in such a short time it is hard to pass up all of the great kits, aftermarket and reference material out there, sometimes you

just have to. Remember, it's just a hobby, and you're definitely not the only one who needs help.

Jim S

Agree totally. Build what you want and don't let others talk you into anything.

I'm sure you'll find that most of the critics are online, hiding behind anonymity, and would be afforded very short thrift in a club meeting.

Nothing wrong with buying kits - this affords you options - if you've bought a bargain and a year or two down the line have no desire to build it, you can more than likely break even selling it to someone. I'm sure a good majority of us have a fairly robust amounts of kits, nothing to worry about.

Sometimes it's fun to have a 'mission' - read the reviews, hunt down the AM required to 'accurize' your kit/s. Sometimes it does make the actual build that much more onerous to begin, one is faced with the implications of extended build time, messing it up completely, disappointing results (not as good as a pro's build etc). When modelling becomes a chore or a daunting task it's good to go basic - build a good, simple kit and just throw in some AM decals to satisfy the AMS desires!

Do it your way, have fun and don't let other people's opinions necessarily influence your thinking.

I don't know what IPMS (USA) meetings are like, but I've been a member of a number of different IPMS(UK) branches as I've moved around the country with my job. In general, those who will "flame" you for a less-than-perfect model, if there even are any in the group, are in a very small minority, and you soon learn who to avoid. In general, if people criticize it's constructive criticism. I've learnt so much over the years simply talking at meetings. But often, it's also praise. Don't forget that generally we are our own worst critics, because we've built the model so we are very familiar with it and know where the faults are.

If anyone does "flame" you for something there are a couple of questions you can ask them: "What are your sources/where's your evidence?", and the question they often can't answer: "So which is your model then?"

So go along, and good luck!

Like the guys said: YOUR project, YOUR methods. Well, it is YOUR money! There is among 'mature' modellers a tendency to explore more techniques and materials with each successive build. This means more expense, more research, and LOTS more time. Each new project takes longer than the previous one, until eventually you end up like myself: completion times become extended indefinitely (infinitely?), but I'm enjoying myself twitching around with minute bits of this and that until I get the chilly, deserted East Wing of that landing-gear bay how I want it. Sure, I haven't actually finished anything in over a year, (well, a li'l Maverick missile... :rolleyes: ) but I'm happy; happy happy happy! And, what I do manage to do is for my own criteria, but I'm pleased to accept critiques from anyone -just pick the helpful ones!

As to that gnarly old Big Ed set that's beckoning you with the "Bring it, Sucker...!" gesture, I recommend diving in. Personally, I found etched brass great to work with as long as you have patience and commitment. It can't give you what the best resin castings can, but it is the most significant enhancement to the quality of a build IMHO.

It may help to learn The Ways Of The Ancients (more ancient than you, anyhow!) to get to grips with this medium -scroll down past the EF-2000 stuff to 'Etch Your Way To Perdition' for instant enlightenment.

(Sorry, No Refunds)

I don't know what IPMS (USA) meetings are like, but I've been a member of a number of different IPMS(UK) branches as I've moved around the country with my job. In general, those who will "flame" you for a less-than-perfect model, if there even are any in the group, are in a very small minority, and you soon learn who to avoid.

From what I have been told it may be a minority but this minority has led to difficulty in attracting new members and any form of participation...

That said, the whole thing is supposed to be about fun, relaxation and therapy. During the year I tend to build some models at competition quality and some OOBs just for fun or to try out a new technique. There is no way I would ever finish the stash if I AMSed each model, besides, it would be less fun. I'm sure there are some inaccuracies in what I do but there is nothing wrong with that. Consider that most cannot agree on WW2 interior colours anyway!

As others have said, there are those guys out there that like to flame other's models. I find they are in the minority, and if not well armed and prepared, they can deflate a "newbie's" confidence really quickly. So how do you arm yourself against this very vocal and annoying enemy? I usually use the "wha wha wha" approach. It's simple, once you've identified the person as one of those that know it all, you simple replace every word they say (with the possible exception of "Hi" or some other greeting) with "Wha wha wha wha wha wha". Then nod your head and say "Oh really, thanks" after every few sentences. Then you quickly walk away. That is the easiest cleanest way to defeat them. You CAN use the more aggressive "I really don't care so why don't you STHU!" approach, but that's usually only required for the ace's of that enemy once they've attacked you at least 5 times, and doesn't really prevent them because after all, they are NEVER WRONG in their minds. But keep in mind that typically those that offer unsolicited "advice" by pointing out how wrong your build is are on an average 80-90% WRONG and have no real clue about what they are saying. And they always seem to have worked on or flew or built or designed or knew a guy who knew a guy that shot down EVERY single type of model everyone brings to a meeting. They are amazing creatures, and at times are fun to study and get a good laugh at. But beware, they prey on weakness and gullibility.

So stay strong my friend and don't be ashamed or scared to go to a meeting. They CAN be fun and very informative. It's one thing to be active in an online forum like this, which is great. But something about getting together in person, seeing real model builds in person and having good friends see your builds and help when asked. It's a pretty cool thing. I miss my club as I haven't been in an area with a club in several years.

And oh yeah, Welcome to the forums.

Bill

Just want to say thank you for all of your responses. I need to keep telling myself "this is a hobby for my enjoyment alone. It is not my monthly report to the CIO."

I still feel dumb for buying after market details that cost 7 times the model.

This is for fun. This is for fun. This is for fun.

My $0.02.

Don't worry about the cost of anything. Compared to other hobbies like photography, cars, motorcycles, etc. the cost is peanuts. I often spend 300 or more hours on ONE model. If I paid myself like I worked at McDonalds, that's about $3,000 of labor, so if the parts cost $300, that's only 10% of the total "investment". Also, I use a lot of aftermarket stuff and they ALWAYS cost more than the model by a mile, so think of the package of parts rather than the cost of the individual model.

As for those who might criticize your model for accuracy and other issues, I have found consistently that the guys who flame you are usually crappy modelers themselves and they have no room to talk. The really good modellers are typically gentlemen and won't say a word unless you specifically ask them for tips and advice.

Also, as others have said many times, build for yourself. I try to be accurate as possible but every once in awhile, I just do what I feel like. Right now I have a resin cockpit that is totally wrong for the version of jet I'm building, but I don't care. The cockpit is gorgeous, I like it and I bet only 5% of the modelers at a model contest would know the difference anyway. In my experience with aircraft, you can't get deductions at a model contest for accuracy unless it's a total "what if". The armor guys are way more picky about being "correct", but airplane judging focuses on build and finish, so the models with few extras often win a medal.

And last, welcome! Stick around and you'll learn a lot, especially in the Aircraft/ In-Progress Pics forum where you can see how others build and solve modeling problems.

Edited by chuck540z3

After many years, I ended up quitting going to model club meetings locally, all contests, and IPMS, period because of the constant dog-eat-dog, win-at-all-cost ..Over a modeling hobby? I'm much happier building just for me. I'm seeing that folks are much more civil here on ARC.

"IJAH!"

(It's Just A Hobby).

After many years, I ended up quitting going to model club meetings locally, all contests, and IPMS, period because of the constant dog-eat-dog, win-at-all-cost ..Over a modeling hobby? I'm much happier building just for me. I'm seeing that folks are much more civil here on ARC.

"IJAH!"

(It's Just A Hobby).

That's what I like about our local club - just a bunch of guys who meet once a month and talk about models. We show what we're building or have built but no "contest" other than a popular vote for the "best" model that pertains to a monthly theme that we decide on in advance for the year. The modeler who's theme model gets the most votes wins a set of spring clamps, but it's strictly done on popular vote- no judging involved whatsoever on an organized level.

It's great to just get together and talk models for a couple hours a month...and twice a year we use the meeting time to celebrate - once in the summer for the club anniversary, and again in December for Christmas.

Yeah, I do miss having "build" B.S. sessions with other modelers. I might go back to the local model car club as they aren't anything like the local "airplanes and tanks" bunch was. Pizza, beer, and smooshin' styrene with friends, and no elitisim.

There are clubs like that around.