I use artist's oils and odorless mineral spirits with a drop or two of boiled linseed oil. If you watch for sales, you can get a lifetime supply of artists oils for significantly less than the hobby industry companies sell the tiny amounts of the same thing. Note that it has to be boiled linseed oil, not the raw stuff.

I use artist's oils and odorless mineral spirits with a drop or two of boiled linseed oil. If you watch for sales, you can get a lifetime supply of artists oils for significantly less than the hobby industry companies sell the tiny amounts of the same thing. Note that it has to be boiled linseed oil, not the raw stuff.

I also have artist oil paints. Do you use Winsor and Newton?

Never done an oil wash on a model. Can anyone recommend a good oil wash brand? I heard about something called Turpenoid. Am I going to need that as well? Thanks!

From promodeller, you might want to use "Dark Dirt". From Winsor and newton, i advise burnt sienna or raw umber

Flory models (promodeler) is already pre thinned for airbrushing and also weathers the aircraft. Oil washes require more time and need to be thinned specifically with enamel thinner or turpenoid. Like Triarius said, boiled linseed oil also works. Water has no affct on the consistency of oil paint because it is suspended in oil. The advantage of oils though is that they come in many more colors. Thick and slow drying paint

http://www.florymodels.co.uk/weathering-wash/

Flory models (promodeler) is already pre thinned for airbrushing and also weathers the aircraft. Oil washes require more time and need to be thinned specifically with enamel thinner or turpenoid. Like Triarius said, boiled linseed oil also works. Water has no affct on the consistency of oil paint because it is suspended in oil. The advantage of oils though is that they come in many more colors. Thick and slow drying paint

Thank you! That was very helpful. :cheers:

I also use oil washes but i'm never sure of what color to use.

Do you base your choice in relation with the base coat color or are you mostly using the same color?

In my case, it seem i'm always relying on Payne's Gray as i'm rather reluctant to try the umber and sienna way...

I also use oil washes but i'm never sure of what color to use.

Do you base your choice in relation with the base coat color or are you mostly using the same color?

In my case, it seem i'm always relying on Payne's Gray as i'm rather reluctant to try the umber and sienna way...

I use mostly Burnt Sienna and some black or mixture of the two, I apply the wash over a coat of future since the oils dont dry right away you have time to work with them and can achieve very subtle staining effects.

Are Vallejo Model Washes any good? How do they compare to the Flory models washes?

+ 1 for Flory,

I've tried other things like the oil washes, the new testors washes and other things but for me flory is still the best.

also if you have to redo it or don't like how it comes our just five it a wash with soap and water.

I use Holbein Ivory Black and Titanium White thinned with Turpenoid, mixed to a shade of gray that's just a little bit darker than what I'm washing. I use almost black for control surface separation lines. I think it looks better than using plain black on everything.

I've found that the Holbein has a finer grain pigment than W&N and doesn't look like little specks when thinned out to a pin wash.

I use Holbein Ivory Black and Titanium White thinned with Turpenoid, mixed to a shade of gray that's just a little bit darker than what I'm washing.

Shades of neutral gray is a great idea. I'll try that. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:/>