Kitty Hawk 32001 T-6 Texan Sprue Shots

Well, I got the model and am very excited! I hope to build one of the French or Portuguese armed T-6G Texans as flown over Africa. I know Zotz mentioned a future release. This means that the decals in this kit will not be used (maybe the stencils). I want everyone to help me find out what may need tweaking to get an accurate model. I already plan to replace the barrels on the weapons. Hopefully, Eduard (or similar) will do a PE replacement instrument panel (with film or pre-painted). If not, I may need to make my own with Reheat Bezels and AirScale dials. However, when armament is carried, there should be ways to aim, arm the weapons, release and/or fire said weapons.

Please don't post opinions on the manufacturer. Focus on this kit and, if you had it, what would you consider working on. Whenever possible, post photos (or mention where to find them) of what you are pointing out. Let's keep this constructive.

Without further ado, here are the first set of images:

KH32001box.JPG

KH32001SprueAfront.JPG

Above and below, both sides of sprue A.

KH32001SprueArear.JPG

KH32001SprueBCfront.JPG

Above and below, both sides of sprue B. At the upper edge, note the spade grip and the two piece spinner.

KH32001SprueBCrear.JPG

KH32001SprueDfront.JPG

Above and below, both sides of sprue C.

KH32001SprueDrear.JPG

KH32001SprueEFfront.JPG

Above and below, both sides of Sprues D & E.

KH32001SprueEFrear.JPG

KH32001SprueGPbox.JPG

Above, the box containing Sprue GP (Glass Parts?).

More to follow...

Regards,

Below are the very thin and clear parts. A second frame-less canopy is included of the type sometimes used on the T-6F.

KH32001SprueGPcontents.JPG

KH32001SpruePE.JPG

Above is the tiny PE fret with belts. I would prefer if the hardware were included separately as I would used them with tape to make better belts. Also note how tanned Popeye is! Below are the other two very large decal sheets. Using a magnifier, I was able to read the stencils but they do include some misspellings. As stated, I do not plan to use them so this doesn't bother me.

KH32001SpruexDecals.JPG

The rest of the images are are random detail shots:

KH32001SpruexDetails01.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails02.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails03.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails04.JPG

One of the two spinners. This one is not mentioned at all in the instructions.

KH32001SpruexDetails05.JPG

The bases of these propellers are too thick. I will splice and blend in appropriately sized rod.

KH32001SpruexDetails06.JPG

The inside of this cowling arch has a scribed cut line. Perhaps for a future release?

KH32001SpruexDetails07.JPG

The inner sides of the fuselage near the rear canopy.

More to come...

Regards,

Continuing the detail images...

KH32001SpruexDetails08.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails09.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails10.JPG

This is the second spinner, it is in two parts and the one to use (according to the instructions).

KH32001SpruexDetails11.JPG

Spade grip but I took the photo from the reverse side! Sorry.

KH32001SpruexDetails12.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails13.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails17.JPG

Above is the scribed cut line and below the MD blister part to add.

KH32001SpruexDetails18.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails19.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails21.JPG

Close up of the seat.

Last set coming...

Regards,

The landing gear bay is poor for 1/32 scale... However it can be solved with aftermarked parts or scratch, looking the old but perfect Monogram 1/48 kit gear bay (but I hoped KittyHawk could have done a better detailing just considering the excellent work already done in 1/48 scale) But the worst detail is the landing gear position. Just to make a view for the mistake, I prepared these images:

The kit:

WoTnz0S.jpg

What we should see

IJXS8rg.jpg

Edited by FCM

Thanks for posting all this. Seems like this kit might be a bit rough but it has some real potential. If the aftermarket crew steps in, there should be some very nice Texans being built. As a semi-related gripe, I wish that these guys had provided decals for a true USAF T-6 instead of a "warbird". A Korean war FAC would have been a nice choice. Regardless, I'm sure we will be seeing plenty of decals coming out.

Regardless, I'm sure we will be seeing plenty of decals coming out.

More tham 40 countries used the T-6, Kittyhawk could help themselves to boost the kit sales, just adding an alternative clear parts for T-6D standard... :(

Edited by FCM

Hard to tell from the unassembled parts, but it doesn't look like they fixed the landing gear issue. The mounting hole for the strut is still much too far inboard.

SN

I agree. I will build several of these and figure out a fix. It looks like I will have hours and hours of fun cleaning up injector pin marks as well!

I've been away from ARC for a long time, but I had to post this....

Even though the level of detail blows me away, I still shake my head at the many, many errors in the kit. (outside of the landing gear issue)

They have left themselves with no room to market the many different variants of the T-6/SNJ/Harvard family. The one piece they leave non-interchangeable on the upper fuselage (the rear canopy fairing) is the biggest thing that has to be changed to make a proper Harvard. The Mk II, Mk IIb/AT-16 and Mk 4 all have the rounded rear canopy. (The RCAF, RAF and Luftwaffe examples included in the decal choices all have this canopy)

I hate to be one of those 'rivet-counters' but even somebody who has ever been close to a Texan/Harvard knows there are not ribs on the OUTSIDE of the control surfaces.

Or perhaps Dzus fasteners are FLUSH with the skin? Not all variants had the 5-sided bagaage door or machine gun installed in the rear cockpit.

The foot trays do not extend between the front and rear cockpits. They are 4 separate pieces. There is no 'floor' to the cockpit...it's the top of the center wing section!

And according to the markings diagram they ALWAYS have a drop tank fitted...not! Most variants don't even have the capability for a drop tank.

It's been said on this forum (and most others) many, many times that there are hundreds of enthusiasts that are willing and able to assist in the research that goes into tooling a kit (most for free!) yet are ignored. Simply browsing through the illustrated parts catalog and maintenance manual for any of the variants (easily obtained online in PDF format) would have helped immensely!

I know I'm biased because I get to work on 8 of these aircraft almost every weekend, but it doesn't excuse the fact that even a casual observer can spot some glaring issues.

Okay...I'll get off my soapbox now... :whistle:/>/>

It looks like a great kit, but until someone comes out with a correction and/or conversion set (including new canopy, gear bays, control surfaces, etc) I probably won't be picking one up.

Edited by rcaf_100

Well, I got the model and am very excited! I hope to build one of the French or Portuguese armed T-6G Texans as flown over Africa. I know Zotz mentioned a future release. This means that the decals in this kit will not be used (maybe the stencils). I want everyone to help me find out what may need tweaking to get an accurate model. I already plan to replace the barrels on the weapons. Hopefully, Eduard (or similar) will do a PE replacement instrument panel (with film or pre-painted). If not, I may need to make my own with Reheat Bezels and AirScale dials. However, when armament is carried, there should be ways to aim, arm the weapons, release and/or fire said weapons.

Please don't post opinions on the manufacturer. Focus on this kit and, if you had it, what would you consider working on. Whenever possible, post photos (or mention where to find them) of what you are pointing out. Let's keep this constructive.

I still shake my head at the many, many errors in the kit. (outside of the landing gear issue)

They have left themselves with no room to market the many different variants of the T-6/SNJ/Harvard family. The one piece they leave non-interchangeable on the upper fuselage (the rear canopy fairing) is the biggest thing that has to be changed to make a proper Harvard. The Mk II, Mk IIb/AT-16 and Mk 4 all have the rounded rear canopy. (The RCAF, RAF and Luftwaffe examples included in the decal choices all have this canopy)

I hate to be one of those 'rivet-counters' but even somebody who has ever been close to a Texan/Harvard knows there are not ribs on the OUTSIDE of the control surfaces.

Or perhaps Dzus fasteners are FLUSH with the skin? Not all variants had the 5-sided bagaage door or machine gun installed in the rear cockpit.

The foot trays do not extend between the front and rear cockpits. They are 4 separate pieces. There is no 'floor' to the cockpit...it's the top of the center wing section!

And according to the markings diagram they ALWAYS have a drop tank fitted...not! Most variants don't even have the capability for a drop tank.

While I appreciate the knowledge, I am asking for help in building a Texan, not the Harvard. Unless someone posts an image of the Harvard with a sharkmouth, it wouldn't interest me. Omission of Harvard specific parts are not errors for the scheme I am aiming for. I actually believe the problem is that the decal sheets include the Harvard schemes but none for the armed variants which can be built using the kit contents. Had the Harvard schemes been omitted, it would simply mean another item to purchase to convert this Texan to a Harvard.

Since I have the Texan kit, I don't want to bemoan what isn't in the box but work with it. I am the one who wants to take this kit to a higher level so it is up to me to make the additions and modifications for the scheme I want.

In Aviation High School, I worked on T-6 and SNJ Texans. They were beat to Hell by the students. Driving out to Republic Airfield, we would see SNJ-2s from Sky Typers which I would take images of once they landed. Even though I have all this previous involvement with the Texan, particularly in every Latin American country I visited, I will still be modeling a French or Portuguese dog (Texan with a dog mouth on it) over Africa.

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

First off, an apology to RCAF_100. After reading what I posted, I did come on too strong. I am sensitive about this post making me feel like I need to defend my purchase (I've had enough of that in another thread). Again, I simple want pointers on how to build the scheme I mentioned using the kit I have (plus any available aftermarket that may help). If anyone wants to use my photographs to illustrate a point in another thread, feel free to do so as long as the credit is not removed.

Back to this kit. I cut off some items and taped them together. I worried about the wing to fuselage fit and, while I was at it, I wanted to see the details and location of the landing gear trunnion within the main gear well. Here are some images:

KH32001zFit01.JPG

While turning it over, the tape got loose. The trunnions are indeed too far inboard but the detail is not as plain as it first seemed.

KH32001zFit00.JPG

These images are from an SNJ-2

leftwheelwell_20100925.jpg

rightwheelwell2_20100925.jpg

rightwheelwell_20100925.jpg

wheelwells_20100925.jpg

Other things I have noticed... I seem to have short shot trailing edges to the upper and inner wing halves. The scoops are solid as well.

Regards,

Wow, five days later and not a reply other than my own. It seems that there isn't interest. Could it be because it is not a Harvard? Or that I don't want anyone posting anything which will make me feel uncomfortable for having this kit?

I must state thank you to Spook who, on another forum, confirmed that the Portuguese armed T-6 Texans came from French Tomcat stocks. He even provided links to references on the gun sight, armament panels and so on. I won't bother continuing in this post although the build is going well.

No hard feelings, I leave with a gift. Here are 31 photographs of an SNJ-2 I photographed on film in 1992:

SNJBlueAngels.jpg

SNJFuselageNose01.jpg

SNJFuselageNose02.jpg

SNJFuselageNosePort.jpg

SNJFuselagePort01.jpg

SNJFuselagePort02.jpg

SNJFuselagePort03.jpg

SNJFuselageStarboard01.jpg

SNJFuselageStarboardNose01.jpg

SNJFuselageStarboardNose02.jpg

more to follow...

Regards,

Hi Sharkmouth

Many thanks for the pictures

I did not participate in the discutions, and was not interested in polemics.

However, knowing what is good and bad is interesting, and how to solve what is bad even more.

but so far, except the bad landing gear location that can be solved with little work, and the propeller blades with too thick location struts, I do not know what is good or bad.

So, except what turns around the markings options, can I understand from the discutions that the other areas are good for a texan ?

Norbert

• 2 weeks later...