Do we have a kit review folder here at ARC? I have been looking and have not found one if there is one.

Actually, why doesn't ARC have a review section like other forums? I think it would be a great idea to have a subforum like that.

Actually, why doesn't ARC have a review section like other forums? I think it would be a great idea to have a subforum like that.

I totally agree. Would really make ARC Forums a one stop shop for me. Unlike Britmodeller's though I would like to see it arranged in some sort of order like by manufacturer, by scale, by kit name. One to work on for the future admins, mayhaps?

Hyper scale

Cybermodeler

Arc/ aircraft resource center

Modelling news

Zone Five

Helmo

Flory models

Cybermodeler is a joke. Pretty much every review is just fluff. No useful details and it seems like the guy(s) goes out of his way to avoid any negative comments.

ARC doesn't have a formal review section but rest assured that pretty much every new release will be picked to death on the appropriate forum long before it hits the shelf. Lots of outstanding information (pull up the thread on the KH MiG-25 or the new GW F-15B if you want an example), often illustrated with pictures of the real thing. Only issue is that you have to wade through some typical pissing contests to get to the useful info. It is well worth it, IMO.

If ARC was my website, I would create a sub-folder in each forum for the threads that dissect each kit, making sure they were pinned so they don't disappear over time.

Edited by 11bee

Yes, Leo?

I've been trying to find stuff on the accuracy of various kits, most recently Hasegawa's Morane Saolnier M.S. 406 and Dewoitine D. 520. The Definitive 1/72 Scale Model Census is excellent on many subjects, but desperately needs to be updated.

Edited by Horrido

Cybermodeler is a joke. Pretty much every review is just fluff. No useful details and it seems like the guy(s) go out of their way to avoid any negative comments.

ARC doesn't have a formal review section but rest assured that pretty much every new release will be picked to death on the appropriate forum long before it hits the shelf. Lots of outstanding information (pull up the thread on the KH MiG-25 or the new GW F-15B if you want an example), often illustrated with pictures of the real thing. Only issues is that you have to wade through some typically pissing contests to get to the useful info.

If ARC was my website, I would create a sub-folder in each forum for the threads that dissect each kit, making sure they were pinned so they don't disappear over time.

I will agree with you on Cybermodeler. I don't think I have seen a review on there say anything bad about any kit.

Do we have a kit review folder here at ARC? I have been looking and have not found one if there is one.

not as complete or up to date but there is one.

http://www.arcair.co...chive-main.shtm

Ju-88 Review

If more people submitted reviews on the kits they by or are building this place would have a ton.

Edited by Spectre711

Have you tried Scalemates?

They have a pretty good search engine which pulls together kit release timelines with new boxings, re-issues etc, linking kit reiviews, walkarounds, the whole works.

http://www.scalemates.com/

Julien

I agree. Scalemates is a great modelling oracle where many a modelling portals meet :) I use them all the time!

Edited by breadneck

You guys don't count the gallery articles at ARC as reviews?

Not sure if you were being serious or not. Personally, my definition of a good review is a comprehensive article that goes into all details of the kit and compares it to the real thing. Ideally illustrated with pictures of the kit components and detail shots of the real aircraft. The review will include negative conclusions about the kit if they are valid. I think some of the websites out there (some on other forums also point this finger at ARC) are afraid to post anything critical in fear of upsetting their "sponsors".

It should also feature the kit being built up, step-by-step, instead of just some pictures of the box art and sprues that some "reviews" have.

I know it's an armor subject, but here is how a real review should be done (IMO):

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/xact/xs35001.html

I've yet to see any better reviews of plastic models than what the guy that runs Perth puts out. To bad he doesn't build aircraft :)/>

Edited by 11bee

You guys don't count the gallery articles at ARC as reviews?

Not really. Someone may take a dog of a kit and turn it into a work of art with lots of work, heaps of AM, and tonnes of skill. Something that not all of us have. As an average modeller, I look for kits that fit well and look accurate. I don't have time (or the skill to be honest) to re-scribe a kit if panels are wrong and I don't have the time or patience for masses of filling and sanding. As11bee mentioned, a good review should include an in-box review and build up review.

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

Not sure if you were being serious or not. Personally, my definition of a good review is a comprehensive article that goes into all details of the kit and compares it to the real thing. Ideally illustrated with pictures of the kit components and detail shots of the real aircraft. The review will include negative conclusions about the kit if they are valid. I think some of the websites out there (some on other forums also point this finger at ARC) are afraid to post anything critical in fear of upsetting their "sponsors".

It should also feature the kit being built up, step-by-step, instead of just some pictures of the box art and sprues that some "reviews" have.

I know it's an armor subject, but here is how a real review should be done (IMO):

I've yet to see any better reviews of plastic models than what the guy that runs Perth puts out. To bad he doesn't build aircraft :)/>/>

Not really. Someone may take a dog of a kit and turn it into a work of art with lots of work, heaps of AM, and tonnes of skill. Something that not all of us have. As an average modeller, I look for kits that fit well and look accurate. I don't have time (or the skill to be honest) to re-scribe a kit if panels are wrong and I don't have the time or patience for masses of filling and sanding. As11bee mentioned, a good review should include an in-box review and build up review.

Yeah, I agree too

I've yet to see any better reviews of plastic models than what the guy that runs Perth puts out. To bad he doesn't build aircraft :)/>/>

Yeah, I agree too

I've yet to see any better reviews of plastic models than what the guy that runs Perth puts out. To bad he doesn't build aircraft

Terry Ashley is the guy running PMMS (Perth Military Modelling Site). I've known him for more than a decade as we linked to each others reviews on many occasions.

Like me, he does build aircraft but he (like me again) stopped writing aircraft reviews to concentrate on armor. His reviews do include photographs of the kits he builds using cellulose (white) glue. After losing too many pieces, I stopped doing that since my kits were paid for by me. I never build OOB so showing my kit to readers with all the AM goodies did not seem fair either.

Terry doesn't build all his models, here is an example from 2005 where he didn't and he linked to my review as well:

http://perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/tristar/tri35015.htm

I agree that Terry's current reviews are the benchmark that others should strive for...

:thumbsup:/>

Regards,

One thing that I think set's Terry's reviews apart from most is that he buys the kits out of his pocket so he's not indebted to a manufacturer to give a good review to keep the free kits coming. IIRC Terry got into quite a fight with Dragon over some details on a kit, a fight that Dragon tried to win by creating false "reviews" to counter Terry, in the end Terry was right.

Cybermodeler has a policy that they will not publish a negative review of a kit but instead will discuss the results with the manufacturer. I sent a note to them one time about a review of some aftermarket metal landing gear that incorrectly noted that they could be used to replace the kit parts without noting the kit in question already came with metal landing gear. I figured it was a typo since he reuses the review texts, I got a longwinded response about the kit parts and the modeler and whatnot that really didn't make a lot of sense but I noticed later that the review was changed to reflect the info I sent them.

Ken

Edited by kenlilly106

One thing that I think set's Terry's reviews apart from most is that he buys the kits out of his pocket so he's not indebted to a manufacturer to give a good review to keep the free kits coming. IIRC Terry got into quite a fight with Dragon over some details on a kit, a fight that Dragon tried to win by creating false "reviews" to counter Terry, in the end Terry was right.

Cybermodeler has a policy that they will not publish a negative review of a kit but instead will discuss the results with the manufacturer. I sent a note to them one time about a review of some aftermarket metal landing gear that incorrectly noted that they could be used to replace the kit parts without noting the kit in question already came with metal landing gear. I figured it was a typo since he reuses the review texts, I got a longwinded response about the kit parts and the modeler and whatnot that really didn't make a lot of sense but I noticed later that the review was changed to reflect the info I sent them.

Ken

Correct on his battle w/ Dragon. They got quite heated when he (correctly) identified ID'd fault with one of their kits. Terry was 100% correct but Dragon went far out of their way to slag the guy on their own blog. Pretty pathetic. Cybermodeler is just as bad. Anyone who finds issues with a kit but refuses to share them with their readers is nothing but a pawn of the kit manufactures and is putting add revenue over credibility.

Edited by 11bee