DH Chipmunk

Happy New Year all!

I would like to do a Chipmunk in NMF as the earlier RCAF were. Easy peasy. .....but wait! The more I research silver Chippies, the more confused I become. The books say natural metal finish and the pictures that I see look that way, but they also mention that the control surfaces and 2/3 of the wing were fabric. I was hoping to use Bare Metal Foil but now I'm having second thoughts. Just how shiny were these? The pics certainly look brighter than silver paint. Any experts out there?

Cheers

Paul

Hey Paul,

Here's a link to a build of the Aeroclub 1/48 Chipmunk in early RCAF NMF.

Aeroclub Build

You can see the difference on the wing where the fabric begins. The Chipmunk wing is all metal from the spar forward and fabric covered aft of the spar.

Cheers,

John

Hey Paul,

Here's a link to a build of the Aeroclub 1/48 Chipmunk in early RCAF NMF.

Aeroclub Build

You can see the difference on the wing where the fabric begins. The Chipmunk wing is all metal from the spar forward and fabric covered aft of the spar.

Cheers,

John

Just copy what this build shows and your just fine. from looking at this pic: http://www.aviastar.org/pictures/canada/dehavilland_chipmunk.jpg

If it was me building this kit, I would spray the the fabric portion of the wings aluminum first, while painting the control surfaces yet. Then paint the control surfaces a slighty diferant aluminum color. After that I'd put the foil on the wings and set them aside, foil the fuselage, stabilizers and trim tabs. For the canopy, if there is an interior color such as interior green, mask and spray that. After the paint has dried I would use strips of either bare metal foil or furnace tape for the canopy framing just because it's self adhesive.

Actually, looking at that build John posted, I wanna build one of these,even though that guy used alclad. I could knock that out in two days even with using BMF. What kit are you using?

Edited by B-17 guy

Using the old Airfix kit. It was already started when I came upon it, but it had a vacuform Canadian canopy. It's been in my stash for years and I finally decided to do something with it. Just this afternoon I spayed the silver and I'll let it cure and proceed as suggested. This was another of my $5. purchases at a show. I get a kick out of trying to make something out of these dogs.

Cheers

Paul