1:48 P-51 D-5

I don't often do WIP photos, not out of principle but simply because I never think of doing it. But I have this time.

I bought a decal sheet with "Ferocious Frankie" of the 361st FG, and then realised that she was an early D. I pondered kitbashing the Tamiya 1:48th D to produce a filletless bird, but that would involve a bit of work around the base of the fin to get the panels correct and looking reasonable. However, I was ordering a Mustang I conversion from Ultracast, so I stuck their filletless tail on to the order.

When it arrived I was very pleased at the quality of the resin parts and the thoughtfulness of the design. The Tamiya tail is removed at the panel joint just forward of the tailwheel, and the resin tail fin and rear fuselage is a straight replacement. All you need is to thin the kit plastic a bit, and a bit of filler if, like me, you botch the cut slightly.

There's a separate resin rudder, and the kit tailplanes are a drop-in fit. Very very pleased, can't wait to finish her.

IMG_2827_zps83aaff76.jpg

IMG_2825_zpsf6f400b8.jpg

IMG_2824_zpsec91db24.jpg

IMG_2826_zpsd338a6e5.jpg

The parts do need a bit of clean-up like any resin bits, but I cannot recommend Ultracast highly enough.

Nice! I picked up a tamiya F-51D package deal a few years ago that has this conversion with it and probably a similar decal set with it for a good price, just havent got around to it yet. Maybe I'll work on it after I finish my two current projects. Make sure to post more wip pics.