It seems like everyone has an opinion of this kit. Instead of rehashing or continuing to beat that long dead horse (there is a 29+ page thread on the Jet Modeling board if you really feel like going down that rabbit hole), I'm going to just build the thing. Besides, I'll take it over the Monogram kit any day.

With that out of the way...I didn't go overboard on the cockpit since this is going to have a closed canopy. I'm sure Neomega is working on a resin set, which I'll use on the second kit I have in the stash. The major work shown below is the nose. This is going to be built as a Foxbat-F, so a new nose is in order. I used a 3D printed version available from click2detail. It's designed for the Monogram kit but using it only required a bit of cutting a filling. Certainly nothing insurmountable.

IMG_20140117_170432_2421800x451.jpg

IMG_20140117_170454_400800x451.jpg

More as things progress...

I did not know Monogram made a 1/48th MiG-25, nor a 1/72nd for that matter... Are you talking about the Revell kit? Forgive me if that was a Tongue-n-cheek type of reference.

Looks like this one is going together well...

Cheers

-Larry McCarley

I was dreading having to slice up the kit parts to make the shorter, wider BM wing. As it turns out though, KH provides two sets of separate wingtips, one of which works for the BM (I'm willing to bet there will be an R-model in the future), so all I had to do was increase the cord of the wing. This was easily done with sheet styrene and superglue. I'll have to throw on some putty and rescribe but so far, so good.

IMG_20140120_165718_688800x504.jpg

How thick are the nose parts ... They look very thin, almost transparent?

Click2detail runs ProJet printers (the same kind as Shapeways' Frosted Detail/Frosted Ultra Detail), which uses a transluscent, UV-cured acrylic print medium. It's a sort of clear off-white though areas that contact the support medium tend to have a frostier appearance.

Which is to say, it's not your standard resin, and the fact that it's see-through is entirely normal. It's not thin, it's just the way that material looks.

For example, this part here is around 1 - 1.5mm thick (so, standard plastic kit thickness).

th_IMG_1710.jpg

Edited by MoFo

This is my first Foxbat, so I never really had a sense of its size. Must have been an awesome feeling as the pilot to have all that power behind you. Anyway, the latest.

Here are the intakes; the much maligned, much fretted about subject of pages of internet hand wringing. I'm sure there will be aftermarket seamless intakes released at some point, but I plan on using intake covers. With that in mind, making the kit provided parts work probably isn't beyond the skill of most modelers out there. I had to fill a few sinkholes and do some test fitting. Not a big deal though.

IMG_20140125_082831_243675x800.jpg

IMG_20140125_082808_207572x800.jpg

And a step back shot. Forward fuselage is glued on, wings are not.

IMG_20140125_084554_293800x533.jpg

IMG_20140125_082808_207572x800.jpg

Ummm... you've glued the intake ramps on the wrong sides. The "curved" corner goes to the outside, not the inside. You'll notice this when you try to glue the ramps per the kit's instructions - that curved bit conforms to the shape of the intake.

Also: that triangular gap? It shouldn't be there. The intake ramps are rectangular, and there is no space between them and the intake walls*. There should actually be a vertical "wall" (plate, whatever) inside parts B4 and B6 which would give the intakes the proper rectangular cross section. Instead, the kit is "scooped out", which leaves massive gaps if you do anything but fully-dropped ramps. Pretty simple fix - just glue some styrene sheet to B 4 and B6 and sand flush to the intake lip (alternatively, fill with milliput or polyester putty or similar). However, depending on exactly how you do it, you'll probably have to correct the intake ramp pieces as well, filing them down until they're rectangular, rather than trapezoidal.

Alternatively, you could just glue some sheet stock along the back to plug the void, then putty to bring it level. Less accurate, but quick and dirty.

th_2517931_zpsadee8d23.jpg

*if you think about the way that real intake ramps work, you'll see that the kit parts are very, very wrong, even beyond the whole MiG-29-style FOD door thing.

Edited by MoFo

I'm talking about the back end of the intakes. The plastic/PE sandwich. They're swapped, and there shouldn't be any gaps with the intake sides. The pic shows what I mean (actually, that pic shows a lot, but specifically, note the ramps are basically tight to the walls)

I've spent the last couple of evenings trying to figure out some intake trunks, and the more I look, the more I just kind of scratch my head. Even doing masters for a set of FOD covers isn't exactly straightforward.

Trunkin' ain't easy.

After spending way more time last night thinking about the intakes than I should have, I decided to bite the bullet and go over the kit ramps with thin styrene to fill the triangular gaps. It pained me to cover up the photoetch, but I think it will look better in the end.

I'll be first in line when the aftermarket trunking comes out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First coat of primer is on. The section I was most worried about--the nose--isn't in bad shape.

caf1ede9-a5a8-46e3-b00e-b1d4fe72c6ad.jpg

The printed parts are a little interesting under paint. Note the almost wood-grained pattern on the nose. I'm hoping it will go away as more layers of primer are applied and sanded.

IMAG0324.jpg

The wings need the most work and I suspect will require a complete rescribe before this is all said and done.

IMAG0332.jpg