Favorite MovieScenes

Wasn't it "Octopussy" where they flew the Bede jet through a hangar?

I always liked that scene.

That was very cool, he did that with a missile tracking him like a bloodhound :whistle: , wouldn't those follyweird A2A missiles be vicious in combat :woot.gif: . Jim Bede's BD-5J was the follow-on to his BD-5; A prop version, one I had some very serious thoughts of purchasing, until reality hit and the pricetag and my on-hand cash and prospect for funds just didn't equate :doh: :lol: . Add to that my flying experience and what was needed to fly the BD-5 would have amounted to a smoking hole in someones farm and me on the autopsy table.

I agree completely! That scene ALWAYS gets my vote for best flying scene. One could argue that P-51, F-14s, etc. are designed to do what you see in various movies, but I had no idea a Cessna could be so agile until I saw Iron Eagle.

Steven Brown

Ahem, what a garbage scene from an atrocious movie. "racing" a motorcycle, you can see plainly that the C-152's flaps are down.

Tony

That was very cool, he did that with a missile tracking him like a bloodhound :whistle:/>/> , wouldn't those follyweird A2A missiles be vicious in combat :woot.gif:/>/> . Jim Bede's BD-5J was the follow-on to his BD-5; A prop version, one I had some very serious thoughts of purchasing, until reality hit and the pricetag and my on-hand cash and prospect for funds just didn't equate :doh:/>/> :lol:/>/> . Add to that my flying experience and what was needed to fly the BD-5 would have amounted to a smoking hole in someones farm and me on the autopsy table.

There is one exceedingly short sequence taken inside the hangar where you can see the BD-5J is mounted on a pole as it "flies" through. I'm assuming they didn't want anyone inside filming the real one in case something could "go wrong". I don't know who did the flying for that sequence but I think it was Bobby Bishop's airplane. Coincidentally, my 299 Models BD-5J kit was coming out about that time and the movie certainly helped with sales. I think I sold 500 kits in Japan alone.

People have already mentioned Flight of the Intruder and Porco Rosso and I think those are particularly good at giving us the feeling of flight and maneuver which is missing in most aircraft scenes in movies. There really should be more of this now that CGI removes the camera limitations of filming real aircraft, but for whatever reason directors are usually poor judges of the physicality of objects and the scenes they make feel inauthentic.

This movie is not about aircraft, but the scenes from "Hunt for Red October" where Jack Ryan is being dropped off by the helicopter on the USS Dallas is wicked killer, and the scenes where the carrier is launching planes to keep tabs on the Bear "F"s, to keep them from locating the US fleet or tracking it is just too cool, although they show a Korean vintage Banshee, when it supposed to be an F-14 that's crashing, stock footage is for the less informed, as it has been used in many movies. The out of control F-100 has been used so much one could predict the scene almost frame by frame :woot.gif: .

Edited by #1 Greywolf

This movie is not about aircraft, but the scenes from "Hunt for Red October" where Jack Ryan is being dropped off by the helicopter on the USS Dallas is wicked killer, and the scenes where the carrier is launching planes to keep tabs on the Bear "F"s, to keep them from locating the US fleet or tracking it is just too cool, although they show a Korean vintage Banshee, when it supposed to be an F-14 that's crashing, stock footage is for the less informed, as it has been used in many movies. The out of control F-100 has been used so much one could predict the scene almost frame by frame :woot.gif:/>/> .

Probably one of my all time favorite movies!!! My favorite scene is when the Dallas does the emergency surface! Might just watch that movie tonight! :cheers:/>

Edited by VA-115EFR
  • 2 weeks later...

If you're a prop lover especially from WWII you just gotta be crazy about the flying scenes from "Dambusters" and "633 Squadron", it looks to me like the flying scenes from 633 Sqdn were filmed in what is presently used by the RAF and USAF, and probably others based in the UK as a Mach lane in Wales, well to me at least that's what it look like. If you haven't seen the vids on Youtube check them out you won't be sorry ya did. BTW for the Mossie lovers here's a treat

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Those are good, but my favourite is Mel Gibson landing and taking off his Turbo Porter on the side of that mountain. Truly awesome!!

Brad

The scenes from the movie A-Team where they are "flying" the Buford M8 armored gun system, as well as when Murdock is riding the rotor blades:"You spin me right-round, baby, right round..."

Air America, where Billy confronts the trucker in his helicopter, the beginning scene where the peasant farmer schwacks the C-123 with hit flintlock, and the fight scene in the Au-23 between Gene and Babo over the coloring book.

• 4 months later...

The ones that I watch often is 1. The Final Countdown when the Tomcats overfly the yacht, slow for the 'cats, but mind boggling to the folks on deck, when the strike group launches, and of course when the splash the zeroes

+1 to the above,

Nothing epitomizes,to me, anyway - the shear fun of being a fighter pilot- as this clip

and the Helicopter chase scene from "Capricorn one"

great flying

Honourable mention

Spitfire low pass from " A bridge too Far" ( cant find it on utube)

and the dogfight from Tora Tora Tora (once again, cant find on youtube)

Bruce