Thoughts on Amodel and Eastern Express

Amodel are based in the Ukraine and produce some nice accurate models.

They tend to have quite a bit of flash with large sprue gates - so are generally more challenging builds.

But they release subjects that are not covered by other manufacturers - mainly Soviet and Russian subjects, although their latest kits are better detailed and cover a huge variety of subjects.

I am a big fan of theirs and have done loads of their kits - including a few of their 'Amonster' series of fibreglass resin kits.

Links to some of my Amonster build.....

An-22

Il-38

Il-76

An-124

In the 'standard' injection-moulded range, the Lavochkin La-250 is an example of their earlier efforts...

They do a very nice 'White Knight & Spaceship One', Yak-25RV and Mil Mi-10.

In summary, they aren't in the 'shake the box and out falls a model' category, but each new release gets better and better and their subject range is prolific.

Challenging but rewarding.

I hope this helps.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Eastern Express kits tend to be quite old - I think most of their kits are the old Frog molds from the 1960's, whilst other (the WWI kits) are ex-Toko from the 1990's. They're cheap, but unless you really, really want a model of that particular aircraft, and there are no other choices available, I'd avoid them.

Vince

Eastern Express kits tend to be quite old - I think most of their kits are the old Frog molds from the 1960's, whilst other (the WWI kits) are ex-Toko from the 1990's. They're cheap, but unless you really, really want a model of that particular aircraft, and there are no other choices available, I'd avoid them.

Vince

Depends on what one wants to build; but they have released a lots of new tools in recent years. Lots of An's, Il's and even Mi's in 1/144. New tools are of different quality but i gather most of them are pretty decent.

• 2 months later...

Both companies are all over the place, from pretty nice to rather dreadful. Your best bet is to ask about a specific kit when dealing with these companies so you know what to expect.

G'Day All

In my experiance, the trick to building A Model kits is to work on the fit of the parts prior to reaching for the Tamiya liquid cement and not covering everything wih filler and having to reinstate the kit's uually delicate panel lines later. The new Dornier 26 and TU-134 kits are very nice and the only choice for the 1/72 enthusiast. Most of the Eastern Express models are of a time long past, but as others have said, they are cheap and buld them if you must. You may find the urge to make something decent out of some of them, after all as I read somewhere recently, we are supposed to be modellers. As for the refference to Zvezda , their improving standard puts them on a level with some of the vastly over priced producs from the far east, at least here in Australia.

Trev. (vh-bob)