Eduard 1/48 BF109-G6

So if I buy the kit, the Brassin cockpit, Brassin gun gondolas, Brassin engine, and whatever other Brassin they come up with, I'll have a $300 1/48 Bf109 that may or may not be as accurate as the $30 Zvezda kit :)

Weekend edition will probably be around the same price point as Zvezda. But Eduard does seem to chase after details - their kits are perfect for those who build for competitions (all panels opened, etc).

So let me think about this.

Eduard measure panel lines using a Laser scanner on a real 109..

Someone puts up a random drawing from a random Russian website.

Eduard 109 panel lines dont match random plans and Eduard is wrong??

You cant be serious..

Mmm plans vs laser scan of real aircraft..let me think about that for two thousandths of a second...

If someone was writing a paper on irrational obsession with model accuracy, threads like this one would be a gold mine of case studies.

Always amusing to see when Gaston/Robertson will pop up with his photo comparisons and red lines.

:cheers:/>/>/>/>

Darius

It's a 109, what do you expect? ;)/>/>

I guess the more info there is on an aircraft the more people will pick up things that are wrong with it, although it might seem an irrational obsession, it's this sort of thing that occasionally gets models improved so I have no problem with people picking these things up.

Edited by Tbolt

Back from the Mosonmagyarovar show 2014. The new Eduard Me-109G-6 was there to view with one of the sprues. It looks nice but of course it has all the mistakes pointed out on different forums. But this is not surprising since this is only the very first prototype and not the final product. To clear the issues I have asked Mr. Sulc as the most competent person in this question. As he said this is only the first prototype and work is on for the final production version which will have close to two dozen alterations / corrections to the first molds. The issues (including the bulges on the wings . . .) raised here and on other forums will be addressed and the kit should be out as scheduled in the beginning of May.

Here are a few photos of that first proto assembled kit.

MosonG-63_zps18a2a5e7.jpg

MosonG-66_zpsda8a4855.jpg

MosonG-65_zps7a3ef3f5.jpg

MosonG-64_zpse22131ee.jpg

MosonG-62_zpsa2656f30.jpg

MosonG-61_zpsbb23e843.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

I'm glad to hear Mr. Sulc is willing to admit there are problems. It **astounds** me that such errors were made in the first place. It's not like they didn't have access to the real thing, plus offers of assistance (which were refused) from really knowledgeable people.

Back from the Mosonmagyarovar show 2014. The new Eduard Me-109G-6 was there to view with one of the sprues. It looks nice but of course it has all the mistakes pointed out on different forums. But this is not surprising since this is only the very first prototype and not the final product. To clear the issues I have asked Mr. Sulc as the most competent person in this question. As he said this is only the first prototype and work is on for the final production version which will have close to two dozen alterations / corrections to the first molds. The issues (including the bulges on the wings . . .) raised here and on other forums will be addressed and the kit should be out as scheduled in the beginning of May.

Here are a few photos of that first proto assembled kit.

MosonG-63_zps18a2a5e7.jpg

MosonG-66_zpsda8a4855.jpg

MosonG-65_zps7a3ef3f5.jpg

MosonG-64_zpse22131ee.jpg

MosonG-61_zpsbb23e843.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

That's great news if they correct some of the point that have been bought up. Thanks for the pictures.

Edited by Tbolt

If someone was writing a paper on irrational obsession with model accuracy, threads like this one would be a gold mine of case studies.

Darius

So, Darius,

do you think this

"To clear the issues I have asked Mr. Sulc as the most competent person in this question. As he said this is only the first prototype and work is on for the final production version which will have close to two dozen alterations / corrections to the first molds. The issues (including the bulges on the wings . . .) raised here and on other forums will be addressed and the kit should be out as scheduled in the beginning of May."

would have happened if everyone just blindly repeated "Wow. Great! Bring them on!" without any comments?

NHF

Vedran

PS

It was a great show. Lots of excellent models and dioramas and figurines/busts on display.

And some great shopping. I hope my wallet recovers before September :whistle:

Far as I'm concerned, unless they fix that curvature of the spine, the thing is fately flawed. Agree or disagree, that's my opinion. I doubt strongly I'd buy one, but as others have said, wait for the inevitable Zvezda offering. Hal

I agree. The 109 is one of my favorite modeling subjects, and I have and will build a lot of them. Minor detail accuracy issues don't bother me all that much, but obvious shape problems do. If they don't fix the curve in the fuselage spine, I won't buy it. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think re-tooling the fuselage mold is going to happen.

BW

Hi Gabor.

As allways in Moson I get to meet with a lot of people I only see on that day in a year.

By the time I finally got to the exibition building I saw no one judging helicopters :(

The show was great as always, and the where-I'm-from pins on the world map looked impressive - people came from all over the globe, from USA to New Zealand, from Siberia to South Africa.

And you know what (or who) was the main talk of the show? Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more, say no more.... :P

Don't know about E-Day yet, going to Zalaegerszeg is planned for this year and maybe Koszeg.

On the subject of Eduard 109G, from the technical side it looked as an easy assembly kit, as the built sample showed no sign of bad fit. I hope they really bring it up to the Spitfire accuracy level.

Best regards,

Vedran

I agree. The 109 is one of my favorite modeling subjects, and I have and will build a lot of them. Minor detail accuracy issues don't bother me all that much, but obvious shape problems do. If they don't fix the curve in the fuselage spine, I won't buy it. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think re-tooling the fuselage mold is going to happen.

BW

Couldn't sanding on the spine fix that curve? Seems like it if it's curved too much, sanding it down would smooth it out. That doesn't seem that fatal, but everyone's line is in a different place

Far as I'm concerned, unless they fix that curvature of the spine, the thing is fately flawed. Agree or disagree, that's my opinion. I doubt strongly I'd buy one, but as others have said, wait for the inevitable Zvezda offering. Hal

I don't see that being changed at this stage, but you never know. I'll wait and see one in the flesh before I decide whether the spine curve looks wrong to me or not (since I don't have the E I don't know what the spine looks like on that). The problem is once you become aware of a fault you eyes are always drawn to it, maybe I should just ignore this one ;)

Edited by Tbolt

Couldn't sanding on the spine fix that curve? Seems like it if it's curved too much, sanding it down would smooth it out. That doesn't seem that fatal, but everyone's line is in a different place

You can do that, but it would depend on how bad the curve is, how much you have to take off, and if the plastic is thick enough to allow it. The side view in the previous post shows a pretty severe curve. Looks to me like you would have to take quite a bit off to fix it.

BW

You can do that, but it would depend on how bad the curve is, how much you have to take off, and if the plastic is thick enough to allow it. The side view in the previous post shows a pretty severe curve. Looks to me like you would have to take quite a bit off to fix it.

BW

Shouldn't be too much of a chore. Sanding stuff is something that happens on every kit, this one just might require some more on the spine. If going through is a fear, the spine can be packed with some Milliput inside in case you break through.

I think there is more to the spine than just the spine...:

Me109-G2-112af+s.jpg

Note that the excess of spine curve on the top is apparently matched by a lack of belly curve on the tail's bottom. This does not necessarily mean the tail extremity is too low overall, as it could also mean the cockpit area is too tall in its upper contours. It also looks like the leading edge of the fin is too sharply angled backwards, and this may give the impression the tailplane is set too low on the fin, but this last point could very well not be just an impression...

Again, the Zvezda F has absolutely none of these issues.

R.

Edited by Robertson

When judging shape issues from above photos please note that there is a sever distortion of the shape by the lens of the camera! The purpose of the photos was to show the early test sample of the kit, that it exists and what it looks like, nothing else! The location and conditions for the photos were far from perfect. The side view of the kit you see here is distorted and as such is not a true cross section of the real kit!

Please put the real kit on a drawing, but then again do you have the original German production drawings for the aircraft or only a drawing by someone who believes he know what the real aircraft is like. There are no two identical "scale drawings" or should I say "interpretations" of the real thing!

Best regards

Gabor

I think there is more to the spine than just the spine...:

Me109-G2-112af+s.jpg

Note that the excess of spine curve on the top is apparently matched by a lack of belly curve on the tail's bottom. This does not necessarily mean the tail extremity is too low overall, as it could also mean the cockpit area is too tall in its upper contours. It also looks like the leading edge of the fin is too sharply angled backwards, and this may give the impression the tailplane is set too low on the fin, but this last point could very well not be just an impression...

Again, the Zvezda F has absolutely none of these issues.

R.

That's what the problem is, they've got the rear fuselage upside down ;)

That's what the problem is, they've got the rear fuselage upside down ;)/>/>

Yes, but still keeping the tail's end close to the correct height somehow... If you look at the canopy's forward depth below the top ouline of the nose, you'll see the kit's front canopy is really much more deeply seated into the nose than on the real aircraft: This is where the canopy's extra height comes from at the rear, which allows that deep spine curve, and yet keeps the tail's extremity at a plausible height (though it could still be too low)... This does imply that the nose is too deep at the windshield level, which it certainly appears to be (hard to say with the gondolas)...

Me109-G2-112af+s.jpg

R.

Edited by Robertson