Eduard 1/48 BF109-G6

What exactly would knowing what kind of lens or "parameters" (??) get you? The shape is correct or it isn't.

It gives you the ability to apply the right amount of correction to the photo. Some of these photos may have been taken with a fairly wide lens giving a reasonable amount of distortion.

Edited by Tbolt

Jennings, I believe that the nose is correct. Even on Czech forums there are no claim related to the nose shape yet...test shots were shown in Moson modelshow in April (Hungary) and available for some of them (and believe, Czech modelers are crazy about claiming everything :-))) If you are afraid to buy one, I'd wait for serious review. Personally I believe that the nose is correct, but I'm waiting for royal Class edition in July. It'll consists of two kits, i guess 15 camouflages, possibility to build G-4, 4, 14 (but I'm not sure if I remember it well) plus PE and some brassin jewelery (e.g. canon pods)....and beer glass like in Spitfire RC edition (this is why I want it :-D).

Moreover, the fitting and level of details is amazing....

What exactly would knowing what kind of lens or "parameters" (??) get you? The shape is correct or it isn't.

Edited by PetrB

Moreover even with the one lens, still depends on Focal Length used for the shot. E.g. for portraits, it is recommended to use 50mm...it brings most realistic reproduction of the subject. Theoretically, if you go close to subject and make a picture with e.g. 20mm and after that you move ahead and make picture with 100mm, the overall shape on the picture will be different.

It gives you the ability to apply the right amount of correction to the photo. Some of these photos may have been taken with a fairly wide lens giving a reasonable amount of distortion.

Jennings, I believe that the nose is correct. Even on Czech forums there are no claim related to the nose shape yet...test shots were shown in Moson modelshow in April (Hungary) and available for some of them (and believe, Czech modelers are crazy about claiming everything :-))) If you are afraid to buy one, I'd wait for serious review. Personally I believe that the nose is correct, but I'm waiting for royal Class edition in July. It'll consists of two kits, i guess 15 camouflages, possibility to build G-4, 4, 14 (but I'm not sure if I remember it well) plus PE and some brassin jewelery (e.g. canon pods)....and beer glass like in Spitfire RC edition (this is why I want it :-D).

Moreover, the fitting and level of details is amazing....

Don't forget the Royal Class will also have a piece of a JG 4 Bf 109G-14 in.

Edited by Tbolt

Moreover even with the one lens, still depends on Focal Length used for the shot. E.g. for portraits, it is recommended to use 50mm...

We're stepping away from the subject, but 50mm is way too short for portraits; I'd say even for full-body portraits on full frame. Lenses can (and do!) exhibit distortion of their own, regardless of focal length; ask people who shoot architecture :).

Jennings, I believe that the nose is correct. Even on Czech forums there are no claim related to the nose shape yet...

Let's hope that's the case.

Hello,

I have one on the way in and then I can take a real good look at the new Me109G-6 from Eduard.

And I dont think I will be dissapointed,the whole affair about the beule on the wing root just sand it away,as said in 1/48 it will not even bee noticebale if the fairing is to low, and the nose we will se if its wrong or not,that what Iv'e seen on the pics is telling me that you will get a lot of goodies for your money.

Cheers

Boris

Hello,

I have one on the way in and then I can take a real good look at the new Me109G-6 from Eduard.

And I dont think I will be dissapointed,the whole affair about the beule on the wing root just sand it away,as said in 1/48 it will not even bee noticebale if the fairing is to low, and the nose we will se if its wrong or not,that what Iv'e seen on the pics is telling me that you will get a lot of goodies for your money.

Cheers

Boris

From what I can understand there still is a raised section there on this fairing on the 'G', it's just a lot more subtle and over a bigger area - take a look at the Zvezda kit. I'm sure a small amount of filler placed around the bump on the Eduard kit and a little sanding and it will look passable, maybe not perfect but good enough for the scale and should only take about 15 minutes of work. It's certainly not going to stop me buying it, though I will wait for some 'expert' reviews of the kit first, just to make sure there isn't anything seriously wrong - I'll be waiting for the Weekend kit anyway.

Here you can see it on the Zvezda kit,

01.jpg

Edited by Tbolt

Don't forget the Royal Class will also have a piece of a JG 4 Bf 109G-14 in.

??? The kit comes with an actual chunk of a Bf-109? What part of the aircraft is the piece from?

Very cool.

??? The kit comes with an actual chunk of a Bf-109? What part of the aircraft is the piece from?

Very cool.

Yes, it's mentioned in the Editorial of the May Eduard Info, though they don't say what part of the aircraft it is from. It's like they did with the Fw190 Royal Class,

eduard-maquette-avion-r0004-fw-190-a-8-r2-royal-class-1-48_10.jpg

Edited by Tbolt

??????????

"Apply the right amount of correction"??? What does that mean? I've been manipulating photographs in a darkroom and in Photoshop for close to 40 years, and I have no clue what that means in this context.

??????????

"Apply the right amount of correction"??? What does that mean? I've been manipulating photographs in a darkroom and in Photoshop for close to 40 years, and I have no clue what that means in this context.

It means exactly that - most photo editing software has the ability to adjust for pincushioning and barrelling and some can correct fisheyeing and mustaching as well. In programs like DxO Optics the software has profiles for a lot of lenses and can apply the right amount of correction automatically based on it knowing what lens and camera was used from the EXIF data. Of course a lot of modern cameras can be set to correct the distortion automatically in camera which is handy if you shoot jpeg, though this doesn't usually remove all the distortion from wide lenses.

Edited by Tbolt

BTW, as some people here are bashing him for his sharp tongue regarding critics of the pre-production samples, I think it's worth mentioning that he THANKS for all the feedback in the editorial of the Eduard Info published yesterday.

Yes, because when you say this first:

However, we can ́t fix everything what is commented, many of these faults are actually no faults, but just subjective point of vision and to let us lead by the Hyperventilators could bring us soon to total collapse. So or so, I suppose this one will be best done Bf 109G-6 forever, and simply a bestseller like all the kits before.

Then:

Some of the anomalies weren’t apparent until they were brought to our attention by modelers, and for this we extend our gratitude for the advice and recommendations that allowed us to produce a better end product.

And then literally one sentence later:

We did not accept all that came our way, such as in matters that concerned truly minor details that would hardly be noticed by anyone except diehard hard-core badasses, or in matters that concerned discrepancies in references, and there were more than a few of those encountered along the way.

Makes it all ok. Seriously, it really does. Because he started with bashing of those that helped Eduard free of charge, then thanking them, then bashing them again. A perfect circle, ended where he started.

Yes, because when you say this first:

Then:

And then literally one sentence later:

Makes it all ok. Seriously, it really does. Because he started with bashing of those that helped Eduard free of charge, then thanking them, then bashing them again. A perfect circle, ended where he started.

I don't really see that last comment as bashing - surely being a diehard hard-core badass is a compliment ;)

??????????

Yeah, I think this guy in a dimension where all painfully plain and obvious observations must be ignored until backed by utterly serious scientific-sounding mumbo-jumbo...

As for why the pathetic nose and tail shape are not discussed, don't assume that the most discussed issues, like the wingroot bumps, are what really matters. Usually the most heat is generated by the easiest to fix and least important issues... It's always like that, don't ask me why...

And no, you don't have to get the finally released mouldings to judge them, because unless all you care about are tiny lumps and bumps, the major outlines would never get a fix in the last few days of a release...

Robertson

It means exactly that - most photo editing software has the ability to adjust for pincushioning and barrelling and some can correct fisheyeing and mustaching as well. In programs like DxO Optics the software has profiles for a lot of lenses and can apply the right amount of correction automatically based on it knowing what lens and camera was used from the EXIF data. Of course a lot of modern cameras can be set to correct the distortion automatically in camera which is handy if you shoot jpeg, though this doesn't usually remove all the distortion from wide lenses.

Okaaaaay... If you say so.... I guess.... We're talking about a low res photo of a plastic toy airplane model.

The Czech version actually says "hard-core experts", I don't know who does translations for Eduard but they probably watch too many American movies. No matter what, I don't see any bashing in that paragraph.

Yeah, I think this guy in a dimension where all painfully plain and obvious observations must be ignored until backed by utterly serious scientific-sounding mumbo-jumbo...

As for why the pathetic nose and tail shape are not discussed, don't assume that the most discussed issues, like the wingroot bumps, are what really matters. Usually the most heat is generated by the easiest to fix and least important issues... It's always like that, don't ask me why...

And no, you don't have to get the finally released mouldings to judge them, because unless all you care about are tiny lumps and bumps, the major outlines would never get a fix in the last few days of a release...

Robertson

Well someone who doesn't know about aircraft probably thinks a load of mumbo-jumbo is written here - just because you don't understand something it doesn't necessarily make it wrong and I'm sorry I didn't explain it with pictures with red lines all over them ;)/>/>

At no point did I say your observations about the shape was wrong, or that the photo we have are distorted in any way all I was saying is that they could be. I just think people shouldn't talk about errors in the kit like it is fact from some photos that might not be the best, it doesn't help sales and it's probably why Eduard were getting a little annoyed.

But if photos help, this is all I was talking about,

lens_distortions.png

Edited by Tbolt