Nellis F-5 color schemes

I'm not sure who did these all those years ago, but the are very nice, if a little dated. Many of the scheme's depicted were later called by other names, and many are variations of other schemes. Your best bet is to go by the serial number or bort (nose number) listed. There is one error that I noticed on the "Name Unkown" geometric scheme.... the left side pattern is not all there as it continues onto the tail. Here's a pic of the one that I did, so you can see the difference.

DSC_2913_zps341720f4.jpg

At first glance the USAF F-5E/Fs appear to be kind of boring compared to their Navy and Marine cousins, but if you look deeper, there was much more variety of paint schemes with the USAF than the Navy/Marines, especially towards the end of 1980's. With a little research you can literally find 50 or 60 different schemes! HTH, Fred K

• 3 months later...

At first glance the USAF F-5E/Fs appear to be kind of boring compared to their Navy and Marine cousins, but if you look deeper, there was much more variety of paint schemes with the USAF than the Navy/Marines, especially towards the end of 1980's. With a little research you can literally find 50 or 60 different schemes! HTH, Fred K

Yep the USAF had numerous F-5E/T-38 schemes that the other branches didn't even use, from the flat USAFE grey to the smurf designs. IMO the Nellis birds looked the best adorned with the checkboarded tailbands and TAC logos.

These galleries have a few examples of various Nellis aggressors from the 1980s:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/redflag2004/sets/72157628273297521/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/redflag2004/sets/72157628106297901/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/redflag2004/sets/72157628151521225/

So I just read carefully the text about the F-5 from Scott, and about the gun I am not sure now. I want to show an open gun ay in one of my aggressor F-5E. OK, so far I get it, the 20 mm gun is mounted in the left bay, but what about the ammo box? Is it just there and empty or removed? For transporting baggage there may not be that box, right?

What about the transportation "rails" for the shells from the box to the gun?

Ofc the open gun bay would look busy with box and rail...but will it be still accurate for an aggressor?

Or should I put in a baggage bag instead??? Preparing for a cross country flight (I want to add the centerline tank on that airplane too).