Trumpeter 1/24 P-51D-5NA

Well if this manages to ring a bell....My original intent for this aircraft was a 1/24 Airfix kit, that is currently in the "in-progress" section. But then I managed to score one of these Hobby Craft kits. It is a reboxing of the Trumpeter from what I understand. I had originally started this kit during the Size Does Matter Group Build, but have been on a break on another 1:1 project. It is a fabulous kit in my opinion, much nicer and more detailed than the Airfix. Two major problems that I am going to have to live with though, as I have not been able to come up with an easy solution for. The canopy is just horrible (of all things), and it has the perverbial slanting back wall in the wheel wells. I have decided to display this Mustang as if it is taking of with the gear about 3/4 up, so that should somewhat sheild that ugly wheel well....kind of a shame as there is some pretty decent detail already molded into the kit's wheel wells.

So on to the aircraft history lesson....

Well my subject is the initial mount of Lt. Robert Dickmeyer 44-13956, QP-D, a -5NA flown in the last half of 1944 out of Debden, UK. The aircraft featured Red Nose markings, as well as nose art by the squadron's famous artist, Donald Allen. I will be painting some remnants of D-Day stripes on the aircraft and doing (for the first time) a natural metal finish on the fuselage. This aircraft was Lt. Dickmeyer's first of two Mustangs, as this one was reported as shot down by flak, and he bellied the craft into a 9th Air Force air field landing strip in France. But I have yet to pin point that exact date. Also Lt Dickmeyer was credited with 2.5 kills during his 6 months with the 334th.

I plan on using an Airfix pilot and stand. I had started this kit, but its been pretty slow going as I have been concentrating on my 1/24 build of "Precious Metal" the Reno Air Racer.

Here is a few reference pics, and the kit.

dickmeyerpclr.gif

Although, I am of the opinion this pic is incorrect. I believe in the timeframe I am trying to replicate the 334th did not have that much red on the engine cowling, and had no red rudder yet, only a black band on the vert stab and rudder. So thats what I am planning. I am also hoping to ommiting the fin....another hunch based on the timeframe.

Lieutenant_Robert_Dickmeyer_Nose_Art.jpg

IMAG1887.jpg

IMAG1888.jpg

More quick updates to follow as I am back working on this kit.

I had assembled the engine and threw a coat of satin black on it.

IMAG1903.jpg

And I had taken the kit seat, and revamped it with the help of some Evergreen, a coat of 34092 Green, a few scuffs and masking tape seat belts...all only to change my mind as I will be adding the pilot, so I will set this Warren McArthur seat aside, and steal the Schick-Johnson seat from an Airfix kit. Also added a few details to the cockpit.

IMAG1911.jpg

IMAG1915.jpg

Finished the landing gear, prop, and a bunch of work on the office.

IMAG2254.jpg

IMAG2253.jpg

My first real attempt at painting a pilot in this scale...pretty tough, I cant imagine the smaller scales. He does look a bit grey though, may have to do something about that. More to follow...

Edited by xmh53wrench

Oh, here is another quick look at the kit, prior to unpacking....still a very nice kit all in all....

Engine and Props (both Hamilton Standard cuffed and un-cuffed) and misc.

IMAG1889.jpg

Engine cowlings (which are better than the Airfix, but they still missed the mark on the slight valve cover buldges), mounts, seat (which IMHO leaves much to be disired, so I will be scratching a better Warren McArthur one up)

IMAG1893.jpg

Tanks (woohooooo 1/24 paper tanks), tires, canopy(yuk, must be for that ever elusive P-51XXL"fat boy" version for plump pilots), gear legs, and some niffty rubber engine details

IMAG1896.jpg

H-stabs, elevators, rudder, gear doors, wheel and gun bays (its such a shame that these companies just cant seem to get that wingspar deal figured out) guns and bullet belts

IMAG1897.jpg

YUP, I said bullets

IMAG1898.jpg

Wings and fuselage

IMAG1900.jpg

IMAG1902.jpg

I have to fill the rocket mount holes that are pre punched in the wings.

IMAG1930.jpg

I pre puttied the wings so I could get some sanding done on them prior to assembly. And I assembled all the flight controls and paper tanks (man they fit nice and look even better).

IMAG1966.jpg

And I am going to leave the gear wells as is since I plan on positioning the gear in transit and that ugly back wall will not show too much,I hope...

IMAG1968.jpg

I have also pre assembled the main and tail gear. Very nice stuff in my opinion, though I did scratch out the brake lines as the ones that are in the kit are entirely of rubber and very very unstable.

IMAG2222.jpg

Here is a dry fit of the fuselage sides, wings, engine cradle, and cockpit. Things seem to fit pretty good.

CAM02121_zps5ec2e72f.jpg

I have also painted up the paper tanks in prep for a bit of detailing.

CAM02125_zpse2e9344d.jpg

Painted up the wheel well.

CAM02127_zpsed6c54e1.jpg

I am also in the process of painting some of the components in NMF. And some of the flight surfaces in my interpretation of the aluminum paste paint used by NAA.

CAM02137_zps82d64b66.jpg

CAM02147_zps554c8281.jpg

CAM02145_zps0ad1cb1d.jpg

Thanks for looking in...stay tuned

• 2 weeks later...

Alot has gone on the past week or so. I have decided to replace the kit's Merlin with an Airfix one. I reworked the elevators to more resemble fabric covered elevators. Closed up the fuselage and wing and removed the dorsal fillet to more resemble the -5 series Mustang. I have primed and sanded the wings and put a few coats of Ace Hardware Chrome Aluminum. After some drying I will clear coat the wings to kill the reflectivity and hopefully have the appearance of the aluminum paint used by NAA.

CAM02225_zps8aeec3bb.jpg

CAM02174_zps5f0e0876.jpg

CAM02197_zps8f01c6d0.jpg

CAM02221_zps829b3299.jpg