Need a backup airbrush

Hi all

I need a replacement airbursh quickly. the trigger just broke on my 4809 metal body, and I'm right in the middle of a time-sensitive project, so I can't afford to be without it for the 4-6 weeks that Testors says it will take to send me the replacement. Can you guys give me some advice on a replacement? It does not have to be the greatest, just something good enough to get me by for a while. Single or double action does not matter. I have a 40% off coupon to Michaels, and I can get one to Hobby Lobby too, so something I can find there would be good. Thank you.

Aaron

Not a nice situation to be in, but a backup is a good idea. If you go with Michaels (40% coupon yes)I would suggest the Badger "Patriot". It has a .50 nozzle/tip, gravity feed bowl and easy to clean. If Hobby Lobby (never been in one) has Iwata air-brushes I would look at the "Eclipse" with gravity feed, has a .35 nozzle/tip and is easy to clean. Had an Aztec long ago and it worked well, then things went sour inside, learned how to fix but too much hassle every time. Your trigger is probably not broken but has disconnected itself because of paint sticking other parts together. If you open it up take photos or make a drawing on how the parts relate and hook-upbefore doing an internal cleaning. I gave mine away to someone who could use the extra tips. I now have 6 air-brushes = 3 Iwatas, 2 Badgers and 1 DeVilbiss Dagr. Good luck and good shopping.

Cheers Eh!

Not a nice situation to be in, but a backup is a good idea. If you go with Michaels (40% coupon yes)I would suggest the Badger "Patriot". It has a .50 nozzle/tip, gravity feed bowl and easy to clean. If Hobby Lobby (never been in one) has Iwata air-brushes I would look at the "Eclipse" with gravity feed, has a .35 nozzle/tip and is easy to clean. Had an Aztec long ago and it worked well, then things went sour inside, learned how to fix but too much hassle every time. Your trigger is probably not broken but has disconnected itself because of paint sticking other parts together. If you open it up take photos or make a drawing on how the parts relate and hook-upbefore doing an internal cleaning. I gave mine away to someone who could use the extra tips. I now have 6 air-brushes = 3 Iwatas, 2 Badgers and 1 DeVilbiss Dagr. Good luck and good shopping.

Cheers Eh!

Thank you for the advice. I have always had decent luck with the Aztec brushes, and have never had the trigger come disconnected as some have complained. The problem I am facing with this one is that even though everything else is made of metal, the trigger itself is still made of plastic, and it actually snapped when I depressed it. The part that sticks up out of the AB body, rendering it un-usable. You would think that if they made everything else metal, they could spend the extra 2-3 bucks to make a metal trigger!

Anyways, I'm off to HL today to look for a backup.

Aaron

Yo Bro, I feel you pain. I also have a couple of alternatives for you.

Try and get the Neo for Iwata from Hobby Lobby I started out with Paasche myself, and I have gotten used to them. (2- H's and a Talon) But, the Neo might be a good way to go, if you have a Hobby Lobby nearby and can use the 40% off coupon. I have heard a lot of good things about the Neo, and it might be the perfect back-up.

If you don't have one nearby, you might have to contact an on-line store, like Chicago Airbrush Co. They respond quickly and will have everything you need at a very reasonable price. You will have more of a selection. You don't mention what you are doing, so that will make a big difference in what you buy.

I'll probably get spanked on this one, but if you have a (HOBO) Harbor Freight close by, you may want to buy one of their airbrushes and give it a try. Some guys swear by them, and some swear at them. It's a crap shoot. If you try them, you should LIVE VERY NEAR BY. I do, but I also live close to a couple of Hobby Lobby stores. Hobby Lobby would definitely be my first choice.

Just keep in mind that this is a back-up airbrush, and you will probably use it on an infrequent basis, except to get it out and practice once in awhile. Good Luck!!!

AAron -- Be aware if you buy a different brand, your Aztek hose won't fit without an adapter. You might want to pick up a hose too.

I don't know what kind of coverage you need. But, if it's very broad at all, the Neo CN is a poor choice. It's OK for fine work and thin paint.

Balls47 -- I wouldn't spank you for mentioning the Harbor Freight. The new deluxe version I got does a pretty decent job.

Don

Hey guys

I found a Passche H kit on-line for a decent price and fast shipping, so I won't be out of the game for very long. Seems like a simple (and all metal!) brush for what I need right now. Should be general/medium-coverage stuff for now, nothing too detailed, so it should work okay. It comes with the house and everything, so I'm hoping it'll come with any adapter needed as well. Thank you guys for the help.

Aaron

THIS might be a good gamble, looks like a quality brush and 3 tip options, it might be a sleeper, and at $30.00 it might not be too bad.

I've tried the Harbor Freight Badger copies, cheap and need some tuning, I think this Master Airbrush is head and shoulders above the H/F cheepie.

Curt

51i7SgSrteL.jpg

Aaron,

I would go to Hobby-Lobby with the 40% off coupon and pick up an airbrush from them. The airbrushes at Michael's are a lot more expensive even with a 40% off coupon.

Good luck.

I agree, with the 40% off you cannot beat HL to get a new AB.

JYD

Netz -- I would have to disagree with you on that Master airbrush. See the little black o-rings on the nozzles? A common complaint is that they soon start to deteriorate. That's what I found with my G-22. Also, the threads on the nozzle are sloppy and alignment is all over the place. At least that was my experience with a similar Master airbrush.

Don

You're right about the H. It's simple and rugged. And, it's a good general purpose airbrush. If you got this kit, it has everything you need. When you clean it, pull the needle and flush inside the nozzle with an eyedropper. You might want to look at my review.

Don

Yep. That is the one I got, and thank you for the review!

Aaron

Hey guys

I found a Passche H kit on-line for a decent price and fast shipping, so I won't be out of the game for very long. Seems like a simple (and all metal!) brush for what I need right now. Should be general/medium-coverage stuff for now, nothing too detailed, so it should work okay. It comes with the house and everything, so I'm hoping it'll come with any adapter needed as well. Thank you guys for the help.

Aaron

Aaron, You won't be disappointed with the Paasche H. It does have a red, plastic handle, but it's basically a cover over the rear of the airbrush. There are guys, me included, that use the Paasche H as their main and only airbrush. It will do quite a bit, once you get used to it. I did get a Talon a while back, but I still use the H a lot. Good Luck.

Cheers Eh!

Yessir: I see that you are new. Welcome to ARC. You will find it to be an invaluable tool in all of your modeling ventures. Just remember two things. First, there is no such thing as a stupid question.(the only stupid thing would be if the question never got asked) Secondly, no matter what you ask, there WILL be someone out there in ARC-land that will either give you the answer that you need or steer you in the right direction. NOW, there are 3 things that I like about you right off the bat:

1. Your "call-sign," or whatever you want to call it. It tells everyone a lot about you. And, in your case, it's

good, no, a great thing. You don't take things too seriously. In other words, you know that it's a hobby, and

you enjoy building models.

2. You have a sense of humor, "Eh?" Yep, you're from places north & west of where I'm from. By the way, I retired

from law enforcement over 10 years ago, and I have a warrant for a guy out your way. Too much "B.C. Bud" in the

roof of his camper, waaaaaay too much. Think you can "hep" me?(just kidding about the "hep" but not the "B.C.

Bud")

3. It sounds like you know your stuff. I know that they call you a "Newbie." On very rare occasions, guys get

worked up about being called a "Newbie." Well, you gotta start somewhere, and the ARC "powers-to-be" chose

"Newbie." It never bothered me, it sure doesn't seem to bother you, and it probably never bothered 99.9% of all

of the other folks out there. We know that there are a lot of names much worse than "Newbie," but I just

consider myself fortunate to have a place like this and especially PEOPLE like these to go to when I get

myself stuck in the wrong gear.

Sooooo, welcome to ARC. I look forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your work. Good Luck!!!