Simulating braided line

Hi guys. I want to add some braided line to my current build and I bought some of the detail Master 0.5mm stuff. TBH, it's not 0.5mm IMHO. It's more like 1mm.

1301.jpg

Does anyone have a good way to simulate braided line at about 0.5mm dia?

Thanks all :-)

Roll out some Milliput and run a piece of woven nylon cloth over it. You will have to put it in place before it hardens and it will be hard to handle without wiping out the impression but it's possible.

Edited by gluefinger

THANK YOU, Nimrod! I've been pondering this question for a while; the braided stuff I got from a UK supplier of scale detailing exotica has the braiding too steeply pitched (if that makes sense?) -in other words, it looks more like a steel hawser than braided hose (Goodridge Aeroquip or similar). The one in your photo still looks a bit steep, but maybe I could pass it off...

Where did you get it? :woot.gif:

(Sorry I can't help with a 0.5mm version...)

Do you mean braided line as in wiring/hose covered in braid or braided line like a cable? Reason I ask is if you look in some electronic devices, like old computers, cell phones etc...sometimes they use very small wiring that has a braided covering instead of the typical plastic shrink wrap. Might be able to find something that would work. As for braided cable...not sure about that. (the pic above to me looks more like a cable than a braided hose, which is I think what ChippyWho is saying)

Bill

the pic above to me looks more like a cable than a braided hose, which is I think what ChippyWho is saying)

Bill

That's exactly what I'm saying. Indeed, looking at the 'pitch' of the braiding which seems to show up best at the 10 o'clock position in the photo, it does look more like a cable -just a bit less so than the one I have!

The kind of effect we're probably after is like one of these...but looking again more closely, you are right, it is unlikely to come from this item.

:hmmm:

Do you mean braided line as in wiring/hose covered in braid or braided line like a cable? Reason I ask is if you look in some electronic devices, like old computers, cell phones etc...sometimes they use very small wiring that has a braided covering instead of the typical plastic shrink wrap. Might be able to find something that would work. As for braided cable...not sure about that. (the pic above to me looks more like a cable than a braided hose, which is I think what ChippyWho is saying)

Bill

I'm wanting it to simulate braided hose, hydraulic line (brake line). I don't have any old electronic stuff laying around but I have thought about trying some sewing thread. I'll put up a pic if that works ok.

THANK YOU, Nimrod! I've been pondering this question for a while; the braided stuff I got from a UK supplier of scale detailing exotica has the braiding too steeply pitched (if that makes sense?) -in other words, it looks more like a steel hawser than braided hose (Goodridge Aeroquip or similar). The one in your photo still looks a bit steep, but maybe I could pass it off...

Where did you get it? :woot.gif:/>

(Sorry I can't help with a 0.5mm version...)

I got the detail master stuff from here..

Reading up on the Car forums, apparently this is good stuff.

ptmc19.jpg

Roll out some Milliput and run a piece of woven nylon cloth over it. You will have to put it in place before it hardens and it will be hard to handle without wiping out the impression but it's possible.

I had actually thought of that, but as you said I think it would be tricky to get it looking right and into place without wrecking it. I may still attempt this....

Thanks for the input guys.