F-35A & B Tails

Gents:

In looking at the Fujimi F-35B, Italeri F-35A and Academy F-35A and taking measurements I have found the Academy kit's vertical tails to be shorter than the other two. When measured perpendicular from the base to the top of vertcal tails the Academy kit is shorter by 3/16 of an inch or 4.76mm. That's about 13.5 inches or 342.9mm to scale. Any ideas who is correct? The Fujimi and Italeri kit's tails both measure approximately 1 3/8 inches.

Mark S.

Im not sure about the kits, but I wonder if it has anything to do with the resizing of the fins post AA-1? the serial f-35 went with a shorter vert fin with a slightly diff sweep, more in line with the aerodynamics required by the smaller split nosegear upgraded door. AA-1 had a singular huge off center nose gear door that imparted unwanted yaw issues.

just a thought off the top of my head.

Maybe Academy made the same error they did with their 1/48 F-22. On the F-22 it looked like they sized the tails based off an elevation view instead of using a projected view perpendicular to the tail.

Lockheed-Martin on their website on the F-35 notes a height for the F-35A as 14.4 feet. That equates to a 1/72 scale height of 2.4 inches (2 13/32) or 61mm. If someone has already built the kit and it's setting on its wheels would you mind taking the measurement?

Habu- Those were my first thoughts but it seems to be a larger error than that based on the small number of degrees off vertical that the tails are.

Mark

Im not sure about the kits, but I wonder if it has anything to do with the resizing of the fins post AA-1? the serial f-35 went with a shorter vert fin with a slightly diff sweep, more in line with the aerodynamics required by the smaller split nosegear upgraded door. AA-1 had a singular huge off center nose gear door that imparted unwanted yaw issues.

just a thought off the top of my head.

Smart thinking!

I'm curious about this myself

Lockheed-Martin on their website on the F-35 notes a height for the F-35A as 14.4 feet. That equates to a 1/72 scale height of 2.4 inches (2 13/32) or 61mm. If someone has already built the kit and it's setting on its wheels would you mind taking the measurement?

Academy lists a height for their kit of 60mm, which perfectly scales out to the height listed in Wiki for the A/B of 4.33m.