German Anniversary Schemes

I'm looking for a few color call out on two craft but realized that there is not much that I can find. I know some of the colors used in the anniversary schemes are airline colors like Lufthansa Blue for example. Anybody have a listing or a link to these colors?

I'm look for 38+47 JG 71 (red) and 38+58 of JBG 35 (blue) in particular. Both are 25th anniversary Schemes.

Hi!

The German Luftwaffe mainly used paints from the RAL color standard. The red on 38+47 is RAL3000 Feuerrot (Flame Red). 38+58 is painted in RAL5012 Lichtblau (Light Blue) and RAL1003 Signalgelb (Signal Yellow). All the camo paints used back then were standardised under the RAL color chart too. Here´s a link to the full color chart: RAL Color Chart

Cheers,

Joerg

Airdoc did a series of books about the German Phantoms. Part four of that series covered all the paintschemes, including trial schemes, and special schemes. Unfortunatly, this book was published in 2004, so any special scheme after that is not in it. Airdoc republished the four books in one cover more recently. If you like German Phantoms, it's definitly worth buying.

If I remember correctly, 38+49 was painted with Revell Aqua Colors for that event. Some sort of marketing stunt. Lufthansa Blue (Revell 350) seems to be RAL 5013. That well known paint conversion site suggests it's the same color as Insignia Blue. I've seen the real one in June last year, on display in Aurich, before it was removed and damaged to move it to its new location. I'd say that Insignia Blue comes pretty close to the real thing.

P6292791_zps204bda62.jpg

Almost looks like Dark Sea Blue but a little brighter. This site gives some suggestions for close colors also.

There was a site a while back where you could download scanned copies of books for free. I had all of those Airdoc Phantom books but then my hard drive took a dump and nothing was recoverable. The site was shut down and the guy was up on charges so that was the end of that. I should have backed that stuff up.

Did that AirDoc book have the RAL colors listed?

Edited by Spectre711

Did that AirDoc book have the RAL colors listed?

It does a good job for the experimental schemes, specifying all the RAL colours and providing 4-view colour drawings. For the commemorative schemes it doesn't give the drawings, but it does give some colours. It doesn't specify the colours for the red/white 38+47, but for 38+58 of JBG 35 it specifies RAL 5012 for the blue and RAL 1007 for the yellow.

If I remember correctly, 38+49 was painted with Revell Aqua Colors for that event. Some sort of marketing stunt. Lufthansa Blue (Revell 350) seems to be RAL 5013. That well known paint conversion site suggests it's the same color as Insignia Blue. I've seen the real one in June last year, on display in Aurich, before it was removed and damaged to move it to its new location. I'd say that Insignia Blue comes pretty close to the real thing.

That is correct, we contacted Revell for the colors and they received the first pics of it. Mr. Vahle was at Jever for the first flight.

It was Lufthansa Blue IIRC. It was not regularly available in the color system of Revel. They mixed it up for us.

It was more like a semi matt paint. The jet received a clear gloss color coat before being moved to Aurich. It only flew once with the gloss coat but due to this coat it appeared way darker than before. Also did it received on this occasion the serial stencil in gold on the forward nose gear door which was missing before that.

I built it some time ago:

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=12742&highlight=Scout712

Regards

Scout

That's a great job Scout!

Was just thinking that I still have some Tamiya X-4 left from a previous build. You guys think this is close to RAL 5013?

It might be too bright actually but take a look. My link

That seems to be too bright for 5013. I would just add a few drops of black to make it a touch darker.

BTW Lufthansa Blue is in Revell's color range since at least 1984 and is still available in both enamels and acrylics (#350). Not sure what Scout712 meant there.

Edited by Lancer512

That seems to be too bright for 5013. I would just add a few drops of black to make it a touch darker.

BTW Lufthansa Blue is in Revell's color range since at least 1984 and is still available in both enamels and acrylics (#350). Not sure what Scout712 meant there.

It's quite some time since we painted the jet. Initially we wanted to have something dark blue like some Tomcats had on their tails. This was not available and Revell mixed us some color which was not in their range of colors. I thought it was Lufthanse blue but might be wrong, since even the painting instructions in their kit called for a mix of colors (I used the original Revell paint which was still available at Jever after painting the real thing) Even after they brought out the kit, the color was never produced for the modeling range.

I wrote an article for "Smoketrails" the F4 society magazine. There you can find some close up shots and inflight pics of it.

Regards

Scout

It's quite some time since we painted the jet. Initially we wanted to have something dark blue like some Tomcats had on their tails. This was not available and Revell mixed us some color which was not in their range of colors. I thought it was Lufthanse blue but might be wrong, since even the painting instructions in their kit called for a mix of colors (I used the original Revell paint which was still available at Jever after painting the real thing) Even after they brought out the kit, the color was never produced for the modeling range.

I wrote an article for "Smoketrails" the F4 society magazine. There you can find some close up shots and inflight pics of it.

Regards

Scout

Ahh, thanks! Okay. I was missing the part what the original color of 38+49 was.