Revell Monogram Bf 110 G4

Hello all,

I finally managed to finish this one I began in June 2006. I have been stopped for years by the boring task of canopy masking.

This is the Revell Bf 110 G4. Aerials are either from Eduard or scratchbuilt. Paint is Gunze. Camo is free hand and main markings are done using masks (with the exceptions of the little C9s and swastikas).

This is a good model kit, especially when it is finished (as every model though).

Here are the pics :

DSCN6983bis.jpg

DSCN6984bis.jpg

DSCN6989bis.jpg

DSCN6991bis.jpg

DSCN6993bis.jpg

DSCN6994bis.JPG

Thanks for your comments and feedbacks.

Phlip

Edited by Phlip

I think we all have one of those kits hanging around that never seems to get finished, congrats on pushing thruough, you've done an excellent job here the camo and the weathering are superb, well done :cheers:/>

Edited by jfmajor60

I m currently building this kit. I have done pre-shading and still masking the canopy. it s been 2 months, i have yet to complete anything since then. The canopy is a big paint. It between the 2 months, i have completed 2 models. On seeing your work, i am pressing on with my canopy mask ans hope to have something by the end of next month. Good work with the kits.!

Phlip, Talk about a long time to mask a canopy, but from your pictures, it was well worth the effort. I just finished three1/48 scale models that all had complex and time consuming canopy masking jobs: SBD-5 Dauntless, TBD-1 Devastator, & a P-61, so I know how difficult it is to stay focused. Just an outstanding camo paint scheme, coupled with what I like to call "used but not abused" weathering, just adds that little extra. While a complete neophyte on German aircraft, I don't recall seeing an antenna quite like yours. Is that the usual practice, or specific to just this aircraft?

Joel

Hello gentlemen,

And thank you all for all the kind words.

Talking about canopy masking for this one ... a real pain in the neck especially as I wanted to have the canopy opened. Therefore I actually masked the interior first (and had to re cut some masks which were obviously sized for exterior masking) and airbrushed the interior color (RLM 66 - Gunze H416). Then remove the interior masks, mask again (the exterior this time) - arrrrrgghhhh - and glue the canopy before painting the camo.

I was so bored in advance by the tasks that this one took the dust for a couple of years before I found enough motivation to finally finish it. Once masking done, I went ahead like a charm. And I must confess I'm happy with the result.

Joel, concerning the antennas, they were very specific to all german nightfighters (either JU-88, BF 110 or later He-219) from the second part of WWII following the development of airborne intercept radars. In that case, the aerials are from a first generation FuG 220 and short range FuG 202 Lichtenstein radars (more details here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichtenstein_radar).

Thanks again

Philippe

Edited by Phlip

Hi Kent,

You're right indeed. Actually I first airbrushed the whole plane RLM 76 which is a very light blue/grey (Gunze H417), then fuselage sides and upper surfaces RLM 74 / Dark grey (the darker of the two greys usually used on Luftwaffe's planes upper surfaces / Gunze H 68), and then mottling with RLM 76 again on the upper surfaces.

Actually, depending on some books I read, the camo was described as either 76 over 75 or 75 over 76. Looking at some pictures (see http://ww2eagles.blogspot.fr/2011/03/duel-under-stars-story-of-wilhelm.html), I decided to go with 76 over 75.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Edited by Phlip