FRENCH MATRA R550

For the R550 White or Light Grey(similar to 36375)depending on timeframe, I think Silver may have been used at one as well. I didn't even know that France used the AIM-9 until now, what aircraft did they use them on?

Found these pictures of Armee de l'Air Mirage III's taken in 1978 and 1971 with what looks like AIM-9E's

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/4/0/2/1829204.jpg

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/0/8/0/0253080.jpg

I don't think the AIM-9 would've seen service into the 80's with the French, as the R550 Magic was in full production by 1976. Would like to hear if different as I didn't even know they used them.

For the R550 White or Light Grey(similar to 36375)depending on timeframe, I think Silver may have been used at one as well. I didn't even know that France used the AIM-9 until now, what aircraft did they use them on?

I googled mirage f.1 cr and then clicked wikipedia; then under the armament section, you'll find there 2x aim-9 sidewinders.

I googled mirage f.1 cr and then clicked wikipedia; then under the armament section, you'll find there 2x aim-9 sidewinders.

I think that's a general characteristic and will be referring to the likes of the Hellenic, Spanish and Iranian F1's. The first F1CR's entered service in 1983 and I would imagine that they utilised the R550 from the outset.

Taken from the same page

" Initially, the aircraft was armed with two internal 30 mm cannons, and a single Matra R530 medium-range air-to-air missile carried under the fuselage.[6][7]

It was replaced after 1979, when the improved Matra Super 530 F entered into service with the French Air Force.[8] In 1977, the R550 Magic was released. The F1 has these missiles mounted on rails on the wingtips. Around the same time, the American AIM-9 Sidewinder became part of the Mirage F1's armament, after the Spanish and Hellenic Air Forces requested integration of the Sidewinder on their own Mirage F1CE and CG fighters."

Found these pictures of Armee de l'Air Mirage III's taken in 1978 and 1971 with what looks like AIM-9E's

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/4/0/2/1829204.jpg

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/0/8/0/0253080.jpg

I'm pretty sure the first pic shows Magics.

The second shot is just a generic "here's all the crap that we're technically able to carry" sales line-up from Farnborough or Paris similar. It's done to show prospective buyers what COULD be used, and doesn't mean it actually used them.

IIRC, the only Mirage IIICs able to carry the Matra Magic were the ones used in the 80ies by EC 3/10 Vexin in Djibouti. All other French Air Force IIICs used Sidewinders (AIM-9B ?). That Mirage IIIC from EC 2/10 Seine in the first pic is carrying Sidewinders under the wings and an R530 under the fuselage.

The Mirage IIIE/5 could use both Sidewinders and Magics depending on the customer/time period. I don't think the Mirage F1 ever used Sidewinders in french service.

D'oh. You're right. Brain fart - the proportions just looked 'off' for a 'Winder.

Looking through an old Wing Masters on IIICs in Djibouti, they list armament as "deux missiles AIM-9B Sidewinder puis Matra 550 Magic." That is, two AIM-9B, later replaced by Matra 550.

So apparently they DID use (early) Sidewinders. AIM-9Ls seem really doubtful, though, since they'd have indigenous alternatives at that time. Why spend money on US Sidewinders when you can buy French Magics, Micas and the like?

The color of MAGIC I was white, the MAGIC Il was light gray from the factory. It was delivered at the beginning of the 80's. You can find white front sections on grey rocket engine. They were made of guidance sections from MAGIC I and propellers from MAGIC ll. They were fired for training purpose until the beginning of the 21 st century

As the Mirage F1 CR entered into service In 1983, it would carry grey MAGIC II.

The early sidewinders were used by the Frenchs prior to the MAGIC.

The color of MAGIC I was white, the MAGIC Il was light gray from the factory. It was delivered at the beginning of the 80's. You can find white front sections on grey rocket engine. They were made of guidance sections from MAGIC I and propellers from MAGIC ll. They were fired for training purpose until the beginning of the 21 st century

As the Mirage F1 CR entered into service In 1983, it would carry grey MAGIC II.

The early sidewinders were used by the Frenchs prior to the MAGIC.

Many thanks for that info! :)