Am I the only person on earth who would kill for a 1/48 Mi-8 kit?

The single most produced helicopter in all of human history, and the only 1/48 kits ever done (and no longer available) were crude resin kits. Trumpet Boss has CAD files that they've used for a 1/35 and 1/72 kits, all of which are, all things considered, pretty nice. Why not do them in 1/48??

Surely I'm not the only one??

Just go with the Trumpy 1/35th. It's a nice kit. I think I'm one of a very small number of folks that have built it though.

Given the sheer number of Hips built, one would think we would have seen more of the Trumpeter kits built. That could be the reason why they never scaled it down to 1/48th...

Jennigs I'm with you man. I thought when I saw the 1/35th as well as the 1/72nd version from Trumpeter and HB that I would finally see the 1/48 version. No such luck yet. Strange if you ask me. The 1/72nd I could sorta understand but the 1/35th? Probably for all of those armour dioramas that I have not seen.

Also, many moons ago I actually had a 1/48 Mi-8 or it was probably more like 1/50th. From my understanding it came out of Russia and was pretty crude in multi coloured plastic. The front "glass" was pretty thick and practically unusable. Ended up donating it to the garbage can.

I almost picked up the 1/35th kit but held off. Maybe I should and then we will see one :)

I've built many of the Hobby Boss 1/72 scale Mi-8's (and very nice they are too :thumbsup:/> ) - but have never seen a Trumpeter 1/72 scale Mi-8.

Have I missed something? - or are you just lumping Trumpeter and Hobby Boss together as the same company ??

Just curious....

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

I've built many of the Hobby Boss 1/72 scale Mi-8's (and very nice they are too :thumbsup:/>/> ) - but have never seen a Trumpeter 1/72 scale Mi-8.

Have I missed something? - or are you just lumping Trumpeter and Hobby Boss together as the same company ??

Just curious....

Ken

Sorry Ken, I misspoke or is it mistyped :). I meant to say Hobby Boss but typed Trumpeter since in the past the Trumpeter designs ended up being used in the Hobby Boss kits. My mistake.

By the way, did not Zeveda not have a Mi-8 too?

I did, and he printed, a HUGE decal for it. Yet another vaporware product from the founder of the Black List ®

It was not vaporware - he had made some progress toward it, and I saw some of the early work (patterns) around 2002-2003. I think it got stalled because there were so many projects going on at the same time. I agree that a 1/48 Mi-8/17 series is sorely needed.

Edited by KursadA

By the way, did not Zeveda not have a Mi-8 too?

Zvezda, KP, Italeri, Revell - all inaccurate.

Only the HB Mi-8MT does the job.

Ken

PS - Why do people keep writing Mi-8/17 - you all know its the same thing, right??

(or at least a Mi-17 is just an export version of the Mi-8MT)

I did, and he printed, a HUGE decal for it.

Yes, I saw them but only am interested in the Zlinek magazine Tongue Out one. Why pay so much and squander the rest? Without a kit for them to fit on, I'm surprised the price hasn't come down.

Regards,

About 30 years ago I had a 1/48 or maybe it was 1/50 Eastern European (maybe, probably USSR) kit of the Mi-8. I don't recall the manufacturer at all. It was what I would consider somewhat crude, like an old Aurora kit but it looked like an Mi-8 when it was done. It would be a scratchbuild-super detailer's dream I bet.

I am all in for a 1/48th scale Mi-8/17... For years I've asked to myself that exact same question and for the same logical reasons...

it is as un-understandable as if a Bell Huey would have never been molded in this scale.

I have that old russian "desk model" kit in my stash and every time I get brave and pull it out thinking of giving it a try, i chicken out and put it back in the closet, haha.

Come on, HobbyBoss, Trumpeter, Kittyhawk, et all... this is a license to print money you're missing here!

Cheers,

Hi

I would not kill, but a 1/48 Mi-8 would be great

However, we will have the Ka-27 in this scale (but when ?)

Norbert

Norbert, Hobby Boss has announced a 1/48 Ka-27 Helix, kit number 81739, is that what you're referring to? I hope we won't have to wait long for it. And I too would love to see that 1/48 Mi-8 - maybe someday.

Edited by vimana

If Kitty hawk is gonna do the Seaprite, is it unreasonable to expect an Mi-8 from them? Fingers crossed. Not a big help fan but this is one, like the Helix, is one I would jump on.

I could think of a few more Helicopters that we need in 1/48 too.

EC-120

Ec-135

Ec-145

Westland Scout

A109 Family

A129 Mangusta

HH-3

AB139

NH90

Bell 407

Bell 427

Bell 429

AW149

:woot.gif:/>

Yes,it's a few from what is not released

Norbert, Hobby Boss has announced a 1/48 Ka-27 Helix, kit number 81739, is that what you're referring to? I hope we won't have to wait long for it. And I too would love to see that 1/48 Mi-8 - maybe someday.

Yes Vimana, I refered to this one, hope it will come out as scheduled 2014/2015

Norbert

Zvezda, KP, Italeri, Revell - all inaccurate.

Only the HB Mi-8MT does the job.

Ken

PS - Why do people keep writing Mi-8/17 - you all know its the same thing, right??

(or at least a Mi-17 is just an export version of the Mi-8MT)

Just out of curiosity, if Mi-8 and Mi-17 are the same, why is is that some Hips have the tail rotor to the left and others to the right? I was always told by the "experts" in my club that quickest way to tell between Mi-8 and Mi-17 was the tail rotor position. Of course it made sense (for an illiterate in such themes like me) but now I'm in doubt.

Here's some images I just downloaded. The first one is labeled as a Mi-8 while the description in the second calls it an Mi-17.

(credit given to their respective authors. Used here for illustration purposes only).

Please advice!

mil_mi8_hip_l1_zps7b180bcd.jpg

serbian-air-force-mi-17-helicopter-anton-balakchiev_zpsda8178e4.jpg

To summarise what's in the Master Pin .......

The first generation Mi-8T had a starboard tail rotor, no APU and no filters on the intakes.

Mi-8T's were exported to Finland and India - but they were still Mi-8T's.

The second generation Hips were designated Mi-8MT - they had uprated engines - hence a port tail rotor, an APU and, usually, intake filters (the length of the intakes was cut back to accomodate them).

Export versions were designated Mi-17 - so a Mi-8MT and a Mi-17 are one and the same thing, visually.

So Mi-8T is visually different to a Mi-8MT - but a Mi-8MT is visually the same as a Mi-17....

See my builds here to show what I mean.

HTH

Ken

If you delve any deeper into the Hip variants, you are entering the Dark Side, so beware........ :woot.gif:

To summarise what's in the Master Pin .......

The first generation Mi-8T had a starboard tail rotor, no APU and no filters on the intakes.

Mi-8T's were exported to Finland and India - but they were still Mi-8T's.

The second generation Hips were designated Mi-8MT - they had uprated engines - hence a port tail rotor, an APU and, usually, intake filters (the length of the intakes was cut back to accomodate them).

Export versions were designated Mi-17 - so a Mi-8MT and a Mi-17 are one and the same thing, visually.

So Mi-8T is visually different to a Mi-8MT - but a Mi-8MT is visually the same as a Mi-17....

See my builds here to show what I mean.

HTH

Ken

If you delve any deeper into the Hip variants, you are entering the Dark Side, so beware........ :woot.gif:/>/>/>/>

It is now Clear as Water, Ken! I appreciate the summary! No more (basic) confusion on my end, lol.

By the way, you did an awesomely good job on those Hips in your website. I can only imagine if "they" decided to give us this kit in 1/48 and ask YOU for technical advice, we would have a winner!

Even thou I m not a 1/72nd guy I've built one of the HobbyBoss Hips before but it didnt come half as good (nor accurate!) as the ones you built.

Thanks again,

Fab

Mi-171sm_zps22e18bda.jpg

Mi-172sm_zps8a954188.jpg

Mi-173sm_zpse6ac1f25.jpg

Mi-177sm_zps02ae3345.jpg

Even thou I m not a 1/72nd guy I've built one of the HobbyBoss Hips before but it didnt come half as good (nor accurate!) as the ones you built.

You are too modest Fab - that is an excellent build with a superb finish.

You should be proud...... :worship:

Ken