ROCKWELL INT'L-DASA 1-48th Scale New Box Art

Here is the new boxart for my 1-48th scale ROCKWELL INT'L-DASA high thrust vectoring fighter jet.

NEWX-31ROCKWELLINTL-DASABIGGERAircraftSmallLogoWith1-48009.jpg

Another variant (i haven't decided yet which one i will use, maybe both , you are welcome to help me decide):

X-31ROCKWELLINTL-DASABOXARTCOMPLET1-48mince.jpg

Still a little more retouching needed and it will be ready.

Stephane

Email: stratospheremodels@yahoo.fr

Edited by Stratospheremodels

Here is the new boxart for my 1-48th scale ROCKWELL INT'L-DASA high thrust vectoring fighter jet.

NEWX-31ROCKWELLINTL-DASABIGGERAircraftSmallLogoWith1-48009.jpg

Another variant (i haven't decided yet which one i will use, maybe both , you are welcome to help me decide):

X-31ROCKWELLINTL-DASABOXARTCOMPLET1-48mince.jpg

Still a little more retouching needed and it will be ready.

Stephane

I'd go with the bottom one that shows the left side of the plane. Here's why.... on most aircraft the pilot broads for the left side of the plane. Now here is the crazy part. Most people display their planes on a shelf most of the time canted to the left. We may not think about it, but its ingrained in use. Showing the left side of the plane may in turn sell more because its the side you see the most. Funny enough I just did a image search and about 80% of the X-31 photos where taken of the left side of the plane. Even the three view drawing show the left side. Now everyone my not pose their models to the left, maybe they are left handed?

Edited by Vince Maddux

I'd go with the bottom one that shows the left side of the plane. Here's why.... on most aircraft the pilot broads for the left side of the plane. Now here is the crazy part. Most people display their planes on a shelf most of the time canted to the left. We may not think about it, but its ingrained in use. Showing the left side of the plane may in turn sell more because its the side you see the most. Funny enough I just did a image search and about 80% of the X-31 photos where taken of the left side of the plane. Even the three view drawing show the left side. Now everyone my not pose their models to the left, maybe they are left handed?

Dude that is bizarre! All my models are posed with the left side showing!

Now everyone might not pose their models to the left, maybe they are left handed?

exactly!

i'm left handed, and pose all my models "pointing" in the right direction... same thing when i draw profile.

BTW, nice Boxart!

Edited by mingwin

Strangely enugh, I am left handed too, but it feels more natural having the a/c pointing left..

Anyway.. this is (yet another) kit that piques my interest. I have always been a fan of the X-31. But did you guys know that initially the idea was to use a modified Viggen as the research aircraft. SAAB dropped out of the project however.

Hi Vince,

Interesting theory, i just noticed it applies about an aircraft i am researching right now and it seems there are a lot more photos showing the left sides than the right side of it. Although as a rule i tend to try to vary the angles at which i represent aircrafts in my boxarts. I even got one which is upside down in a recent possible boxart illustration.

In any case, i have finished the boxart and i've added the last small tidbits of requisite text (made in Canada, etc, etc). I'll upload the final versions soon.

What`s in the box ? An X-31 :)

There are photos of the kit on my website:

http://www.picturetrail.com/stratospheremodels

So far one person officially told me he prefers the boxart showing the right side and one who prefers the left side. Any other preferences so i can sort it out ? Otherwise i will release them to my clients at random or send the one they prefer if specifically requested. I've got tiny variants of each also, some with white colored 1-48th, others with yellow colored 1-48th, and sub-variants with the small print in blue or white or pale blue (i ALWAYS have a hard time choosing what pictures to show on forums, of boxarts or in-progress pics, you should see how many i made for this one, i also had earlier variants where the airplane and the title were smaller. I am currently trying to choose which one among the final versions have the small print that is less distracting and doesn't take the eyes away from the main subject).

Stephane.

Hi Vince,

Interesting theory, i just noticed it applies about an aircraft i am researching right now and it seems there are a lot more photos showing the left sides than the right side of it. Although as a rule i tend to try to vary the angles at which i represent aircrafts in my boxarts. I even got one which is upside down in a recent possible boxart illustration.

In any case, i have finished the boxart and i've added the last small tidbits of requisite text (made in Canada, etc, etc). I'll upload the final versions soon.

What`s in the box ? An X-31 :)/>/>

There are photos of the kit on my website:

http://www.picturetrail.com/stratospheremodels

So far one pereon officially told me he prefers the boxart showing the right side and one who prefers the left side. Any other preferences so i can sort it out ? Otherwise i will release them to my clients at random or send the one they prefer if specifically requested. I've got tiny variants of each also, some with white colored 1-48th, others with yellow colored 1-48th, and sub-variants with the small print in blue or white or pale blue (i ALWAYS have a hard time choosing what pictures to show on forums, of boxarts or in-progress pics, you should see how many i made for this one, i also had earlier variants where the airplane and the title were smaller. I am currently trying to choose which one among the final versions have the small print that is less distracting and doesn't take the eyes away from the main subject).

Stephane.

Stephan,

The kit looks great. And I'm glad I got you thinking about the left/right thing, maybe it will help. I like the plane and I like the kit, just wish i could afford one.

I'll definitely be scoring one...about 1/2 of my test engineers worked that program.

Wow ! So many ! The chief flight test engineer for the X-31 program at Rockwell; a really great guy; helped me for this project, as well as another engineer from Europe. I was glad to obtain as much info as i did, particularly walk around photos and a rare small size blueprint that included the internal inlet channel and the internal part of the rear fuselage and the cockpit tub. What are you testing these days ?

Stephane

Stephan,

The kit looks great. And I'm glad I got you thinking about the left/right thing, maybe it will help. I like the plane and I like the kit, just wish i could afford one.

Now that i'm thinking again about it, the initial logic for why i represented the X-31 flying toward the right side is because we read from left to right and from up to down, while in other countries, for example one of my recent clients in Asia, people there read in the reverse direction, thus i thought a bit about that while making the other version of the boxart.

Thank you for the nice comments Rotorhead, Mingwin & Steven.

Another news, now i've got a new batch of decals for the X-31 in limited quantity (about a dozen of them). They used to be made for me in Germany with a special process that i have never seen elsewhere. Sadly the company offering the service folded a few years ago. I am glad i finally found a new source for printing them.

Stephane.

Because this will be a low demand kit (but one I certainly plan on buying) Please, please PLEASE include a boarding ladder.. Just one of those details I like having so I can pose something like this like it's on the ramp ready to go fly.

If at all possible.. I can always fake one out of wire but thats a pain.

Picture of the new decals:

P2077170.jpg

Hi Spongebob,

It is available right now. I also redesigned the wings and fin as well as the canopy frame and a few other smaller parts a few recent years ago. Now the wings have the correct break at mid-wing and the trailing edge and leading edge are thin like the real thing.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models.

Because this will be a low demand kit (but one I certainly plan on buying) Please, please PLEASE include a boarding ladder.. Just one of those details I like having so I can pose something like this like it's on the ramp ready to go fly.

If at all possible.. I can always fake one out of wire but thats a pain.

Hi, i cannot promise for a boarding ladder, it`s not that i don't want to but i am already up to my ears in work to do on various new kits (including a yet unannounced kit that Will include one or two boarding ladders (and those won't be easy to cast because they have a peculiar shape and very thin section) and which is going to include more parts than the X-31 (and many optional parts, 4 different versions in one actually) and which is a modern fighter-bomber. There is one person asking me for a cart for another kit (with very thin easy to break fine components which make me think the model might be too heavy for it so i am not touching it right now, not to mention there are too few clients for that other particular kit to justify the investment in time at this moment), and i am getting myself into having to include another different cart for another version of something i am working on because i know some people will complain if they have to put the model on a base... duh....),(even though i personally have no problem with a model represented in flight. Actually all contractor models for aerospace come mounted on a base, in flight configuration, i think not all models show up well with wheels or on carts, because a cart tends to make them look like a grasshopper, while in flight they are magnificent). Also it`s not like i can provide a 1-48th scale B-52 to go with it... so i might have to make that thing for my other kit after all...).

Right now i have too many new kits coming out and too many already released that need to sell not to mention a ton of new molds to make and new details to add to finish my new kits (including my X-33 kit) plus instructions sheets, decals artworks, etc, not to mention numeric aviation art paintings for those). And i did not mention the CAD models i have to work on also. I have some 10 to 14 unfinished traditional models (new products made by hand) plus an untold quantity of new 3D CAD models i have to finish.

(Now that i remember i have one photo i got via the flight test engineer of the X-31 with a ton of test equipment and compressor carts and trucks around it, even one guy with a computer connected to it installed on a small mobile cart, and i think on the photo you could see a very ordinary yellow ladder (the ones you find in everyone`s home) to access the cockpit... Not sure if i have seen another photo with a ladder other than that one somewhere though).

Stephane.

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting ... but to admit I think the title name needs to be corrected, since "Rockwell Int'l" is really strange. IMO either simply Rockwell or the complete name.

Otherwise I would recommend if You could post more or less "normer" images of the parts ... You often - I think to demonstrate some certain details - them in some strange angles, under very hard lighting conditions !

And I would even like to see a finished, build and painted model.

But these are just my 2 Cents.

Cheers,

Deino

Could it be possible for you to post a better image of the decal sheet? I like the X-31 a lot and would like to support you by buying one of your kits, but it would be nice to see what kind of decals we will get in the kit as these are impossible to source from anywhere else.

Edited by KursadA

Hi Deino,

I don't know about a problem with the name Rockwell Int'l (??), in fact often saw it written this way. If you do an internet search you will see that you will get many links for branches of Rockwell Int'l written like this. As for my photos, i guess i cannot please everyone, but so far i never heard complaints about my lighting angles during the past years, rather the contrary, but i admit to having a limited range of backgrounds, and i plan to buy a medium size light box to add some variety. I tend to use contrast lighting to better show up details (rather than dirty my models (my tooling) with washes (which i personally don't like because i feel they damage the look and cleanliness of tooling. If you checked recently most of my new tooling are pretty clean (white on white), i like them that way rather than showing patches of various materials. I also tend to dislike pictures showing a cutting mat (which is invariably dirty when you look pictures that some people sometime use, i talk in general, for modelers showing just a work-in-progress, not for manufacturers, as i have not been following what other companies are making lately, though i remember a series of photos from one or two large injection companies shown on their facebook page who used just a work table with cut and paint marks to show their model or parts, but personally as a company i prefer to present images that are more professional and use a more uniform background (except when i am really rushed by time and simply have to post a quick work-in-progress pic but that's more rare.

I also don't like to do the same thing as others and prefer to set things apart and and show images that better showcase what the product looks like rather than a boring series of separated parts which do not give a clear idea of what a model looks like (in fact i often receive demands for photos of the whole assembled models instead, and this is why i show these images because this is what most people ask me).

As for fully painted models, i WISH i could do that ! (if i had the same budget as large companies). One reason is: total lack of time. 2, total lack of space. If i did that with all my models i would have to throw them away after all this work due to lack of space. 3, lack of time: if you check the quantity of models i produce and release all alone without outside help, plus the casting, plus mold making, plus designing advertising material, marketing, creating boxarts, etc, and time spent designing new products (always several at the same time), you get the idea ;) So taping the models or gluing them temporarily with a few drops of cyano for a photo shoot is the best compromise for me. Now i'll admit to being more of a tooling designer than a modeler. I am very bad with paint jobs and varnishes.. plus i need since a while to replace all my old airbrushes (and there is no paint booth here...). I chose to invest into a brand new camera and lens instead. Check my new photos of the X-33 engine. These are hand held shots i would have had a very hard time taking as easily with the other cameras i have used in the past.

Stephane

What is the price & is it already available for sale?

Hi JackMan,

Thank you, it is available right now and the price is 125.00$US.

(Please check below, there is now a FREE BONUS KIT OFFER available with any purchase of the X-31 kit made within the next 5 days !).

Stephane

(Note: this offer is void to model kit distributors and model kit stores).

Could it be possible for you to post a better image of the decal sheet? I like the X-31 a lot and would like to support you by buying one of your kits, but it would be nice to see what kind of decals we will get in the kit as these are impossible to source from anywhere else.

Hi Kursada,

Thank you, if i am not wrong (but i will check) i think i took this pic with a 16 megapixel APS-C size camera which is rated as one of the most crazily sharp on the market (but due to file size it is possible i have reduced it a bit so i would not have to wait for half an hour just to upload that one on Photobucket.

Still it is also possible i took the pic with the point and shoot camera, in which case it might be smaller size but you can still click on the image in my Photobucket to magnify it. I will check at home or tomorrow as i am outside right now. The decals you will get are exactly like shown here, i have to cut them out as you see a whole group of decals here for several X-31kits. So the final size of the decal sheet for each individual kit is about 2 by 3 inch, roughly. You will also get a 10 pages instruction sheet including the historic of the project plus many very rare detail close-up photos of the aircraft.

and also, as a SPECIAL BONUS, IF YOU ORDER YOUR KIT WITHIN THE NEXT 5 DAYS, you will RECEIVE a FREE BONUS KIT along with your purchase ! :)

EVERYONE MAY ALSO APPLY for this SPECIAL OFFER if they order within the next 5 days.

Stephane

(Note: this offer is void to model kit distributors and model kit stores).