Tamiya announces new tool 1/72nd F-16CJ

Oh good..... another (most likely) way overpriced kit of something that has already been done to death, instead of a good kit of something that has yet to be done well at all. I'm glad to see them do something modern in 72nd scale, but I can think of a lot of other jets that I'd rather have seen done. There's a reason that out of my 500 odd kit stash, 4 kits are from Tamiya..... yawn! Fred K.

Couldn't be more expensive than Trumpeter or Hobbyboss, and they'll dick it up somehow. We can still use a good F-16ADF kit in 1/72 scale.

Too late for tamiya falcon, Revell has the best so far and who will buy one more in falcon series? :deadhorse1:/> :deadhorse1:/>

Because Tamiya does not make money with Revell kits. Do not forget that the Revell kits are very expensive in Japan because of import tax.

A F-16 from a domestic company will be significantly cheaper in Japan. And there are most of Tamiya´s customers.

Thomas

Too late for tamiya falcon, Revell has the best so far and who will buy one more in falcon series? :deadhorse1: :deadhorse1:

You can never have too many kits of a subject, and what's wrong with having alternatives?

IMO the "best" kit of a subject will almost always be dethroned further down the road because of ongoing improvements in technology and toolings. Otherwise, what motivation is there for manufacturers to produce newer and better models in their fight for their kit to become the new best kit?

Revell's kit is block 1-20, not accurate for today's Viper.

If you intend to build modern Viper, Tamiya's new kit might be a most correct one.

I surely buy it for 5th HG scheme. Wolfpak decal releases one.

Waiting for Jake's and Caracal's!

BTW, I'd built a couple of Academy's vipers. Overall they are OK.

But the nose cone and glare shieild look aweful.

http://www.gundamsite7.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8263

http://www.gundamsite7.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8293

(Sorry, the scripts are in Thai.)

Edited by polar bear

Too late for tamiya falcon, Revell has the best so far and who will buy one more in falcon series? :deadhorse1:/> :deadhorse1:/>

Oh, so you already have a Tamiya one in your hands to make that determination?

Frankly? I'm going to buy two at least. In Japan the Revell one is non-existent, so they will probably sell like hotcakes.

Tamiya is a best model producer on the world (in aircrafts). And F-16 is most popular fighter jet.. Hasegawa is cheap (but in old "C" blocks for late '80 and '90), limited as F-16I "Sufa" are expensive (+100%). I think a price tag of new Falcon(Viper) was around 20Euro/28USD. (Il-2 Sturmovik cost in Prague 22EURO/30USD,/590CZK). Yes, it isn't cheap, but F-35/F-22/F-15E from Fujimi cost 60Euro/80USD/1700CZK !I'm like 1/72 and 1/48, when was price similar to 1/48 i'm built a quarter scale, i'm haven't no problem with it.

Tamiya is a best model producer on the world (in aircrafts).

I agree with that statement if it is their own tooling.

But on the other hand, why do or did they rebox Italeri kits like the F-4S or A-4M, just to name a couple?

Edited by Lancer512

in the US, i can get the Academy kit, the Hasegawa kit, the Revell kit even (might take a little looking and waiting). I have 1 Academy Viper (to be used for parts, it is not a good Viper, but it has good Viper parts) and 5 Revell kits. I will for sure be getting more than a few Tamiya Vipers. Knowing their quality (on their other 1/72 kits and the 1/48 Viper to name a few), it will easily be the best Viper on the market in 1/72. Cost? Probably less than Hasegawa charges for their new 1/72 jets...

Hi,

My 1/72 Viper collection mostly is based on the Hasegawa moulds. Old and probably lacking details but still sharp. Latest build was a Block 40 but I had to scratchbuild quite a lot of surface details, trade the Hasegawa cockpit for an Aires resin one (and that's a painful modification).

I also have 2 Revell kits and an Academy one (but after my original hopes that this one would turn into a perfect modern Viper this one will be used for parts only to improve one older hasegawa kit.

I actually must have 5 or 6 Hasegawas including 2 ADFs and one block 60, two Revells and one Academy.

I am sure I will find some place for 2 or 3 Tamiyas depending on future versions releases and probably at the expense of both Revells or 1 or 2 Hasegawas..

Tamiya is a go for me anytime they release a new 1/72 aircraft model and if I have dreamed a Tamiya F-16 eversince they released their 1/32nd and 1/48th scale models I surely did not really expect one until 3 days ago. So I am quite happy with that release..

Cheers

Eric B.

I agree with that statement if it is their own tooling.

But on the other hand, why do or did they rebox Italeri kits like the F-4S or A-4M, just to name a couple?

This is simple (i hear/read). Italeri in original box is very expensive in Japan (tax)-and all re-box of Italeri is for home market in Japanese mainland islands... Not for EU/USA. But re-boxed italeri is still Italeri, not Tamiya :)/>

Edited by AlCZ

I have four or five Hasegawa F16's in my stash. Never knew about the quality of the Revell kit, so never bought one. I like the Hasegawa kits, but may buy a Tamiya kit or two if they are not reboxed junk. I got burnt on the AR196, and spent enough money to buy the 1/32 Revell kit (a light year better).

One can only hope to expect the kit to be as good as their Zero's, so I'm giving Tamiya a nod here. Still ain't jumping on the band wagon. Subject wise I think they missed the boat, like a few others have said. I mean folks would kill for some A4 Sky Hawks of Fujimi quality and accuracy! Same could be said about a nice new 1/72 scale F100D and an Intruder series. Just look at the F14 market alone. You got Hobby Boss, Hasegawa, and Fujimi. I own all three, and still like the Fujimi best, but Tamiya could have done one. Lastly the IL-2 goes for around $37 in my neighborhood, and I look for the Viper to push upwards of $50!

gary

This is clearly a new tool. Looking at the sprues in the photos linked above, they do not look like any other 1/72 viper currently on the market. I am excitedly awaiting any release, and will pick up a few no matter what. If they come out with a two seater mold (which will probably not happen in any timely manner) I will be picking up even more.

When Tamiya reboxes the Italeri molds aren't labelled as the "Warbird" series? They are already distinguishing in the name maybe the word isn't out enough?

Hoops

When Tamiya reboxes the Italeri molds aren't labelled as the "Warbird" series? They are already distinguishing in the name maybe the word isn't out enough?

Hoops

The boxing is different as well. The Italeri jet reboxings have a picture of a built model on the box. Tamiya's new kit has box art.

I think Warbird Series is just their name for the 1/72 aircraft line. And most of the 1/72 kits from Tamiya's own moulds are just depicted with a pic of the built kit on the box (F4D, X-1, P-51,...). They've switched to painted artwork for the boxart of their 1/72 kits only recently.

When they rebox Italeri kits, they denote that with an Italeri label on the box somewhere. They're pretty upfront about it. I think they also do that with Italeri or ICM kits they rebox in their 1/35 military line.

Bear with me, just unlocking the padlocks and wheeling the old saying into place just in case anyone ever missed it. OK, everyone sitting comfortably? Here we go:

"The Revell/Hasegawa/Academy/Fujimi et al F-16s make no money for Tamiya".

Now there is the issue of the Tamiya reboxing some Italeri kits but these, more the most part, are licensing agreement for certain territories. And I'm sure if we look around hard enough there are posts from people aghast that a kit they bought wasn't some super Tamiya tooling but an-other's kit reboxed.

So, we have the F-16, veritable little noisy bugger at airshows and for me an aeroplane with about as much charm as having a head cold at a Justin Bieber concert, but Tamiya are quite within their rights to see an F-16 as something that will make them money - them being a business rather than a service to guys on forums - because (1) it is a "banker" subject and (2) it will have the Tamiya logo on the box which pretty much guarantees the first production run will sell out.

I know it's not a (insert favrouite subject and scale here) but then that seems to be the default response when any new kit gets announced (wrong subject, wrong scale, wrong price, doesn't taste of chocolate etc...)

Do I want one? Nah. Do I understand why Tamiya have done one? Absolutely.

Stay tuned for the next instalment of "Tamiya don't know what they're doing" right after these messages.

:woot.gif:/>/>

I have 4 revell Vipers and 5-6 hasegawas Vipers. Revell is great and much better than hasegawa but iz is easy to assemble. Revell has two seater and i always thinking thta they will produce Sufa or block 52+ twoseaters with cfts. So now tamiya one looks great and for sure i will buy couple of them :-) Tamiya knows that for sure :-)

Oh good..... another (most likely) way overpriced kit of something that has already been done to death, instead of a good kit of something that has yet to be done well at all. I'm glad to see them do something modern in 72nd scale, but I can think of a lot of other jets that I'd rather have seen done. There's a reason that out of my 500 odd kit stash, 4 kits are from Tamiya..... yawn! Fred K.

I'm sure Tamiya will read your excoriating indictment of their sales savvy and cancel it immediately!