Tamiya announces new tool 1/72nd F-16CJ

Did Trumpeter take over Tamiya's R&D department?

Although Tamiya over the last decade has done some rather dumb choices. Like the period where their new car and some AFV kits had "die cast" chassis parts. Add the Grade Up parts for their car & bike kits... And I can see Tamiya later coming up with a weapon and pylons set for their F-16s... :bandhead2:/>

Edited by Inquisitor

They did include the wing tank pylons but no tanks.

That's odd, I thought the pylons punched off with the tanks, e.g. the only time you'd see tank plyons w/o tanks is on the ground right before they loaded the tanks onto the aircraft. Am I remembering that correctly?

Did Trumpeter take over Tamiya's R&D department?

Although Tamiya over the last decade has done some rather dumb choices. Like the period where their new car and some AFV kits had "die cast" chassis parts. Add the Grade Up parts for their car & bike kits... And I can see Tamiya later coming up with a weapon and pylons set for their F-16s... :bandhead2:/>/>

Not sure that's going to happen. Those one-piece wings don't look like they have any flashed-over holes to drill for mounting any kind of pylon.

Mark

Tamiya has a habit of progressively adding more content in later releases.

P-47M, F-51D, etc have everything from earlier boxings. You could make almost any F-16C with F-16C/N boxing, etc.

They'll probably add weapons later to make people buy the next one as well.

That's odd, I thought the pylons punched off with the tanks, e.g. the only time you'd see tank plyons w/o tanks is on the ground right before they loaded the tanks onto the aircraft. Am I remembering that correctly?

I'm almost certain I've read that the tank is "always" connected to the pylon--that they really don't disconnect or at least that it's so unusual that there isn't a modeling reason to have them separate. On the ground, disconnected from the jet and all.

Tamiya has a habit of progressively adding more content in later releases.

P-47M, F-51D, etc have everything from earlier boxings. You could make almost any F-16C with F-16C/N boxing, etc.

They'll probably add weapons later to make people buy the next one as well.

This is true, but the tanks are still a head scratcher. Maybe the aggressor/adversary flies often enough without them, but they are pretty standard for other units/missions, no?

Thank you very much, PBear!

I was really after a shot of the underside of the wings to see if there are slots for future pylons... I [want to] believe that there are some light reflections slightly showing what would be the spot for gluing the under wing outer pylons for Sidewinders!? :huh:

13784933494_c98ca957fa.jpg

I keep thinking that the "good" price Tamiya is putting forward has something to do with not having weapons and pylons ever :crying2:

That's incredibly disappointing. And the fact that they give you decals for the ordnance which they decided not to include feels like a pretty big slap in the face.

Boo, Tamiya. I say boo to you, sirs.

... being as i build slow, i'll wait a while. I was going to get two right away, but i'd just as soon wait for the next boxing to come out with the pylons etc. If i feel like starting one before that happens, then i'll buy this kit. I have so many Viper spare parts, that i can build what i want regardless of what Tamiya includes in the box.

My new Tamiya F-16 came in today. Some pictures:

Exquisite details on top wing

Tam72_F16CJ-5_zps96566f00.jpg

But as feared, no options for lower wing pylons:

Tam72_F16CJ-7_zpsfbdd3450.jpg

Weapons consists of a pair each of AIM-120C, AIM-9M and AIM-9X. Strangely, the instructions say nothing about the AIM-9Xs and only show the options to use either the AIM-120C or the AIM-9M on wingtip stations:

Tam72_F16CJ-4_zps0a1b3c01.jpg

The GE-F110 engines. Better looking than the ones in Hasegawa's F-15K & SG versions:

Tam72_F16CJ-10_zpsa28fd668.jpg

To be cont'd..

The pilot figure looks good but too bad the arms cannot be positioned. So he has to look as if he is sitting patiently with his hands on his lap while waiting for clearance to taxi..

Tam72_F16CJ-11_zpsa38150dc.jpg

Bulged MLG doors:

Tam72_F16CJ-9_zps83b08b82.jpg

Tail configuration promises many other versions:

Tam72_F16CJ-8_zps70a31733.jpg

More great details. In fact, this detail level for 1/72 is on par with Hasegawa's Mitsubishi F-2 and Academy's missed opportunity of a greatly detailed but flawed shapewise 1/72 F-16CJ:

Tam72_F16CJ-12_zps528c6bf4.jpg

Tam72_F16CJ-6_zpsc68d17fd.jpg

Tam72_F16CJ-14_zpsc7974383.jpg

Details on lower fuselage:

Tam72_F16CJ-13_zpsa1ceb4a2.jpg

Now the thing that astounded me at first was the bubble canopy:

Tam72_F16CJ-3_zpsa36b470e.jpg

Normally bubble canopies have a seam in the centre because of the limitations of the molding technology but this one was so clear and the seam line was so thin that upon first looking at it, I thought that it didn't have any. I honestly thought Tamiya had finally figured out a way to save us modelers the nerve wrecking task of sanding & polishing away seam lines out of canopies. I had to tilt my head from side to side & examine the canopy very closely before I spotted the extremely thin, almost non-existent seam line. But it's there. Just not that noticeable upon first glance. In fact, you actually have to consciously search for the seamline before you spot it.

Tam72_F16CJ-3A_zps60e504b4.jpg

So well done on that account, Tamiya san :thumbsup:/>

Finally, the decal sheet:

Tam72_F16CJ-2_zps5c0a0b4c.jpg

What ya get for your money:

Tam72_F16CJ-1A_zps38b97875.jpg

What appears to be 3 different instruction sheets is actually 1 x instruction sheet, 1 x painting instructions, 1 x "Background Information"... the last one is actually a short history of the various versions of the F-16 written in Japanese, English & French. Why Tamiya wastes money on this sheet is beyond me as this info can easily be found on the internet. Better to use that money for things like underwing pylons, stores, etc.

Overall, a winner with fantastic details, great pricing but let down by the lack of underwing pylons. Stores can easily be sourced elsewhere but the pylons.....

Why Tamiya wastes money on this sheet is beyond me as this info can easily be found on the internet. Better to use that money for things like underwing pylons, stores, etc.

Mr. T's rather fond of presenting the stories behind model subjects (tiger aces, etc.) after all, so probably part of that. It might be worth it if they actually got an expert to write it, but the quality of the background text, including the F-16 one, is not so great.

Thanks Jackman for the great photos and review - I LOVE the details - it looks like a fantastic kit, but I definitely need at least the wing tanks. How are Tamiya decals BTW - are they as nice at Cartograph?

You're welcome, guys. Glad to help so that you can make decisions on whether or not to buy this kit.

Actually, the only thing that prevents me from buying more of this new kit is the fact that I already have a stash of Hasegawa, Revell and Academy ones.

The lack of pylons doesn't bother me too much as I am planning to kit-bash this kit with the Hasegawa F-16E kit. The reason being that UAE (United Arab Emirates) Falcons always have a well-weathered look on their F-16s and Tamiya's rivet+panel line details will help to enhance this weathering effect. The Hase kit will probably be used for a clean looking bird ( say a Special Anniversary scheme or something).

The Academy kit breaks my heart each time I fondle the plastic in it's box. Great details, good weapons loads & so much potential and yet that nose & forward fuselage shape.....just kills the overall look of the F-16. I just can't look at it the same way as I do other F-16 kits. So I will use the kits' weapons & pylons for the Tamiya kit.

How are Tamiya decals BTW - are they as nice at Cartograph?

To me, Tamiya decals are actually very similar to Hasegawa ones. Some people state that Tamiya decals are a bit too thick but I find them alright. They're not as thin as Microscale decals but still not too bad. As for comparing Tamiya decals with Cartograf....no contest. Cartograf are a level all on their own. Their colours are brighter and more sharply printed. In fact, for a time, Hasegawa used Carto decals for their Special Anniversary scheme decal sheets because of their bright & sharp colours.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine came in yesterday. 1 day turn from Sprue Bros!

Everything that has been already said is true. Its beautiful. I'm curious on how they plan on fitting the pylons, as the wing is solid. I'll most likely graft some spare Hasegawa 370s and wing pylons, as well as a targeting pod. Now to find some modern decals. Any SP 480th FS, around? Or in the works?