Tamiya announces new tool 1/72nd F-16CJ

https://www.facebook...&type=1

The discussion on the Facebook page says that only the AIM-120's are included, that's kinda crappy but we'll see.

And no underwing pylons shown either. But that doesn't mean they will not include them and other weapons, does it?

interesting, i would think revell already has the Europe market with theirs and academy in Asia. both of which as I understand it are real nice kits.

Errr nope, Academy's F-16 has a some pretty glaring errors: nose shape & intake.

Edited by Inquisitor

And no underwing pylons shown either. But that doesn't mean they will not include them and other weapons, does it?

Zoom in on the pics on the Tamiya blog and look at the decal sheet. It's most definately a new sheet because the Spang jet has the 2010 onwards finflash with colours for the 81st and 480th only as listed in the profiles, which as far as I know hasn't been done by anyone else. At the bottom you can see stencil markings for the 3 tanks, AIM-9M, AIM-9X, AIM-120C, HTS, 'ECM pod', Sniper XR and AGM-88's. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be printing decals if the bits weren't in the kit. You can also see the sprues at the bottom right, the intake looks like it's only half the length of the 48th one.

Edited by pablo189

Since Tamiyablog doesn't like hotlinking images...

Nuumlrnberg_2014-241_zpse6721555.jpg

http://goo.gl/8b6kdS

Decal sheet printing is legible. Note that it DOES say 1/72. The stencils at the bottom are:

ECM Pod | AIM-9X Sidewinder | HARM Target Pod

AGM-88 HARM | Fuel Tank | AIM-120C AMRAAM

AIM-9M Sidewinder | Sniper XR | (AMRAAM cont'd)

Which... makes sense. Tamiya's MO isn't to omit weapons, especially not when they're on the box art.

Also worth noting: sprue on the right side of the image shows the intake trunking from the kit. It is definitely chopped off, and clearly has a blanking plate at the back. So, doesn't go all the way back to the fan.

The sprue on the LEFT side of the photo, just below the plexiglass, you can see a couple of missiles. Canards at the front = Sidewinders.

Nuumlrnberg_2014-242_zps502a6a95.jpg

http://goo.gl/sZEEgK

This shot gives a clearer view of the sprues. Looking at the area with the missiles, you can see it's an AIM-9X on the left, and an AIM-9M on the right.

Edited by MoFo

Oh good..... another (most likely) way overpriced kit of something that has already been done to death, instead of a good kit of something that has yet to be done well at all. I'm glad to see them do something modern in 72nd scale, but I can think of a lot of other jets that I'd rather have seen done. There's a reason that out of my 500 odd kit stash, 4 kits are from Tamiya..... yawn! Fred K.

Oh good..... another (most likely) way overpriced kit of something that has already been done to death, instead of a good kit of something that has yet to be done well at all. I'm glad to see them do something modern in 72nd scale, but I can think of a lot of other jets that I'd rather have seen done. There's a reason that out of my 500 odd kit stash, 4 kits are from Tamiya..... yawn! Fred K.

overpriced??? you act like grade A tooling is cheap because it's not.

Really?

We don't know the price, but I can't see it going for more than 2200 yen... which at that price is a steal.

The quality of Recent Tamiya releases are ridiculous. In 1/72, I 'd say they produce some of the best kits in the scale ever made. The Tamiya A6M series, (bar the short run Fine Molds A6M), is the best 1/72 kit ever built. Quality, build, accuracy are phenomenal.

The F-16 is quite welcome. The Revell CJ actually has some accuracy issues (bulged doors being the biggest) so them choosing that version to build is the most welcome.

This made my modeling day! Great to see it in 1/72 finally. The Revell kit is very nice, the Academy has issues, and the Hasegawa is really showing it's age. The Revell fuselage halves go together alright, i would expect Tamiya's to go together easily and well. Will we see a C/N boxing, i hope so. But how long have we waited for a P-47D-30/40ish 1/72 kit... You never know with Tamiya. 1/72 Gama Goat coming up...?

You do realize that Tamiya is in this game to make money right??? They need to have these mainstream jets to sell like hotcakes and then that profit can go into something more exotic.

interesting, i would think revell already has the Europe market with theirs and academy in Asia. both of which as I understand it are real nice kits.

The Revell kits are great, but I was very disappointed with the Academy kit. Other than the odd-looking nose, and the PITA intake assembly, the ejection seat was also trouble for assembly, and I had to do a lot of sanding to get it to fit into the cockpit.

The most accurate kit for the heavy geared F-16C is the Hasegawa F-16CJ blk 50 kit, which has the bulged main gear doors and fatter wheels. But the basis for the kit is about 30 years old and the cockpit still sucks. If Tamiya is going to release the heavy geared F-16CJ, please make sure that it has the proper main gear doors, wheels and landing gear.