Tamiya announces new tool 1/72nd F-16CJ

Got mine yesterday and wondering which scheme should I put on this CJ to make it nice without any gasbags and armaments hanging?

I mean a CJ without HTS and HARMs or GBUs.... :bandhead2:/>/>

USAF Aggressor birds.

• 2 months later...

Here it is folks, the inevitable boxing with everything thrown in, the 1/72 F-16CJ "Fully Equipped":

Japanese MSRP (incl. tax) of the original "naked" release: 2,052 yen (from Tamiya's website)

Japanese MSRP (incl. tax) of the "fully equipped" release: 2,808 yen (from the link)

So Tamiya embarrassed themselves over a mere 756 yen...

Here it is folks, the inevitable boxing with everything thrown in, the 1/72 F-16CJ "Fully Equipped":

:doh:

Otherwise I really enjoyed the price of the 'first edition' and, thank heavens!, one doesn't need pylons for this:

Morocco-F-16s.jpg

...or this:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/United-Arab-Emirates/Lockheed-Martin-F-16E/1354563/L/

Yeah, lumps and bumps courtesy of my previous spending... :)

What??? You actually build anything? I just buy them and then buy other models and then build nothing. :bandhead2:

:whistle:

Oh yes... I forgot. You even sold some of your kits to me.

Anyway, the price of their new release is about the same of the RoG F-16Cs here. If it's really better, then I will get a few kits, which means I will break the 100 mark for my Viper stash. Now wait a minute... I've got F-16 kits worth of over one grand in the stash?

I'm waiting for one "fully equipped" with a second seat.... :bandhead2:

You are not alone.

You know what would be funny? If they gave us all the pylons, fuel tanks and armament, but no decals for them :rofl:/>

Sort of like the way things were pretty much across the board until the 1990s? Like that? :)

• 2 weeks later...

From Tamiya Fair 2014:

the hot-links don't work... but you can cut'n'paste the url in a new browser tab/window

looks like it includes:

AIM-120

AIM-9X

AIM-9(?)

AGM-88 HARM

370 gal wing tanks

300 gal centerline tank

HTS pod

SNIPER or Sharpshooter targeting pod

ECM pod

Edited by habu2

Things can still change until the stated Feb. release date, but based on those photos alone, the marking options are still the same.

So they only added the weapon sprues (which really should have been there in the first place) and recycled the box art from the 1/48 kit.

I want to see Tamiya do well as much as the next person, but there's no getting around how dumb this episode was.

They threw away a chance to be the undisputed benchmark (as they had done with their 1/32 and 1/48 kits) from the start, and now this just looks like damage control.

For those of us who supported them by buying the naked release (I did too), then scrounged our spares (or bought whole other kits) to get the weapons, this is sort of like them giving us the finger. For just 800 yen MSRP more it could've been what was meant to be from the start! Kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth, at least.

And think of the wholesale/retail levels. The sales appeal of their inventories of the first release, which they bought less than a year ago, just took a nosedive. Might mean nice discounts incoming for us, but I wouldn't be too happy if I was on the other side of the counter.

End rant.