Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HomeBe

1:48 Grumman AF-2S/AF-2W Guardian by Special Hobby - released

95 posts in this topic

That's awesome. The Guardian is a forgotten, but really cool, plane.

I'm wrestling with a 1/72 kit of the Guardian ("killer" version) by Ace. Pretty sure it would have been easier to have carved one from a block of plastic. But I like the plane, so I keep at it (and will build the "hunter" version I have in the stash too!).

Mike

I would certainly look forward to the Special Hobby Guardian.

I too bought the IOM re-box of the Ace AF-2S/W (which doesn't include the PE parts) and am shaking my head in disbelief at the molding.

I would certainly look forward to the Special Hobby Guardian.

I too bought the IOM re-box of the Ace AF-2S/W (which doesn't include the PE parts) and am shaking my head in disbelief at the molding.

quite hard to build? i've seen the sprues before,but i'm afraid of that...

Schonert,

The kit breakdown is straightforward, but the molding is terrible.

Probably gives a new meaning to the term 'flash'. There is a lot of excess material on some of the parts.

I've only done some dry fitting, and the mating surfaces of the fuselage halves on mine will surely have to be sanded quite a bit.

The original(?) release by Ace at least has a nice PE fret which helps a lot.

I would definitely buy the Special Hobby kit hands down.

quite hard to build? i've seen the sprues before,but i'm afraid of that...

Cool to see this in a main stream '48 kit.

My dad built the '48 Collect Aire kit some years back, it is a big aircraft! I am in the process of "restoring" it after the decals flaked off of it from sitting in a hot garage for too long. I stripped it down to bare resin with Testor's/Polly Easy Lift Off, cleaned up some gaps, and getting ready to paint it soon enough. Maybe I should stand by and see if any aftermarket decals come out for this one????

This is really good news! There are several directions to take this kit. Hunter, killer or Air Tanker. I would like to build both fleet and reserve birds if the kit doesn't turnout to be a real bear to work with. Either way I'm going to build the machine. It will be great to display it sitting in between an Avenger and the S2F. smile.gif

Awesome. Buying the Collect-Aire kit would have required selling fluids and organs on the black market to afford, so this should be much more available and affordable. Now I can put my Ginter book to use. Or use it as a pattern for a 1/32 scratch-build.

I can not wait to get my hands on these. They will look good sitting next to my S2F. I have a thing for sub hunting aircraft.

Edited by dekon70

Schonert,

The kit breakdown is straightforward, but the molding is terrible.

Probably gives a new meaning to the term 'flash'. There is a lot of excess material on some of the parts.

I've only done some dry fitting, and the mating surfaces of the fuselage halves on mine will surely have to be sanded quite a bit.

The original(?) release by Ace at least has a nice PE fret which helps a lot.

I would definitely buy the Special Hobby kit hands down.

thanks. I'll wait SHB kit

The Guardian is a forgotten, but really cool, plane.

Everyone that I've ever talked to that flew it, absolutely hated it. Davey Jones owns a significant number of them.

Everyone that I've ever talked to that flew it, absolutely hated it. Davey Jones owns a significant number of them.

Apparently, the R-2800 wasn't enough engine for the airplane. Needed maybe an R-3350 or R-4360.

Apparently, the R-2800 wasn't enough engine for the airplane. Needed maybe an R-3350 or R-4360.

True, Grumman had wanted to use the R-3350, but because of availability problems with that engine the Navy wanted them to use the R-2800. People I have known that flew it also didn't care for it. They preferred the Avenger that they had flown in combat prior to the AF. All of them really enjoyed flying the S2F and were relieved to be done with the AF. I have never talked to anyone that flew the AF as an Air Tanker . I would be interest in their impression of the beast.

Great news! My Dad joined VS-21 in 1958 several years after they'd transitioned to the S2F but most of the LCDRs and above he flew with had logged time in the Guardian.

Here's a neat little book about life in a Korean War reserve Guardian squadron written by a former aircrewman:

http://www.amazon.com/VS-931-ANTISUBMARINE-SQUADRON-ROBERT-WAGNER/dp/1418430994/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392258716&sr=8-1&keywords=vs-931

Hopefully Special Hobby will eventually get around to releasing a 1/72 scale variant and give us proper kit of this unique aircraft.

-Scoobs

I hope they give you decals so you could do a hunter/killer team.

And if they don't, I might know someone who would.

Great news! My Dad joined VS-21 in 1958 several years after they'd transitioned to the S2F but most of the LCDRs and above he flew with had logged time in the Guardian.

Here's a neat little book about life in a Korean War reserve Guardian squadron written by a former aircrewman:

http://www.amazon.co...keywords=vs-931

Hopefully Special Hobby will eventually get around to releasing a 1/72 scale variant and give us proper kit of this unique aircraft.

-Scoobs

Thanks for the "heads up" on the book! I just ordered one for my dad and one for myself. My dad became a part of VS-20 in 1955. They had just one AF left in the squadron and all of the pilots in the squadron had their photo taken in it for the squadron roster list. My dad never flew the AF, but we still have his photo of him in the pilots seat, which is pretty neat I think. He spent sometime in VS-21 as well, but before 1958 when your dad was there. At that time my dad was a flight instructor at NAS Kingville in the S2F. One of his favorite outfits he flew with was his reserve squadron at NAS Oakland/Alameda VS-873 during the 1960s. A lot of folks there had flown the AF. I think he will enjoy this book.

Thanks for the "heads up" on the book! I just ordered one for my dad and one for myself. My dad became a part of VS-20 in 1955. They had just one AF left in the squadron and all of the pilots in the squadron had their photo taken in it for the squadron roster list. My dad never flew the AF, but we still have his photo of him in the pilots seat, which is pretty neat I think. He spent sometime in VS-21 as well, but before 1958 when your dad was there. At that time my dad was a flight instructor at NAS Kingville in the S2F. One of his favorite outfits he flew with was his reserve squadron at NAS Oakland/Alameda VS-873 during the 1960s. A lot of folks there had flown the AF. I think he will enjoy this book.

It's entirely possible our dads crossed paths as my dad went through the Kingsville ATU as a student in early '58 on his way to the fleet. Later he was an instructor with VS-41 at NAS North Island from 1961 to 1964 and dealt frequently with the West Coast Reserve VS squadrons as the NATOPS program came online.

I gave my Dad a copy of the VS-931 book and he enjoyed it as well. He noted that the tactics used AF crews were virtually identical to those he used in Stoofs. He also appreciated that VS-931 was based out of NAS Willow Grove, which was my dad's first duty station out of boot camp prior to getting picked up for the NAVCAD program.

It's entirely possible our dads crossed paths as my dad went through the Kingsville ATU as a student in early '58 on his way to the fleet. Later he was an instructor with VS-41 at NAS North Island from 1961 to 1964 and dealt frequently with the West Coast Reserve VS squadrons as the NATOPS program came online.

I gave my Dad a copy of the VS-931 book and he enjoyed it as well. He noted that the tactics used AF crews were virtually identical to those he used in Stoofs. He also appreciated that VS-931 was based out of NAS Willow Grove, which was my dad's first duty station out of boot camp prior to getting picked up for the NAVCAD program.

I was thinking the same thing. Our fathers could have been at Kingsville at the same time. ATU-400 was the Stoof training unit there. My dad was a student in ATU-400 in 1954. The Unit was flying TBM Avengers then and my dad enjoyed flying that airplane.

I was thinking the same thing. Our fathers could have been at Kingsville at the same time. ATU-400 was the Stoof training unit there. My dad was a student in ATU-400 in 1954. The Unit was flying TBM Avengers then and my dad enjoyed flying that airplane.

According to the RAFS website my Dad (Harry Robins) was actually in ATU-402 (present day VT-27). Looks like your Dad is on the membership roster as well - RAFS is great resource for everything Stoof related and I enjoy their monthly newsletters that Dad passes along to me.

http://www.r-a-f-s.org/

According to the RAFS website my Dad (Harry Robins) was actually in ATU-402 (present day VT-27). Looks like your Dad is on the membership roster as well - RAFS is great resource for everything Stoof related and I enjoy their monthly newsletters that Dad passes along to me.

http://www.r-a-f-s.org/

I agree, it is a great site. ATU-402 is news to me. That unit may have formed after my dad left Kingsville. I only have one photo of an ATU-400 S2F and I built a Hasegawa kit of it. It had a 3G tail code and I wouldn't be surprised if ATU-402 didn't have the same.It is more than likely ATU-400 stood down and ATU-402 was formed to replace it.