Anyone who is familiar with the RB-47H. Can you tell me if the aircraft had an antenna wire running from the vertical fin to the fuselage? The photos that I have accessed don't seem to show one; but the model instructions for the Hasegawa kit do. Thanks.

Yes, that was for the main HF command radio. That's the only way they had to communicate when on missions. Far outside UHF/VHF range (except for the bad guys).

I suppose the communications were ciphered because I read somewhere that during WWII US Army monitored stateside the German Afrika Korps HF traffic !

Patrick

It wasn't just during WWII. The USSR used HF for almost all their long range communications (ground and air), and they were regularly monitored throughout the Cold War.

There was a world wide network of AN/FLR-9 sites manned by the USAF, with tasking from NSA:

800px-ANFLR-9_antenna_array.jpg

Edited by Jennings

thanks, X plane fan. an excellent picture which will help when I do the conversion on the Hasegawa kit.

also, thanks to Jennings for the additional info.

If you haven't started yet, these may help. Flightpath makes a resin conversion set LINK and Wolfpak Decals has covered the markings at least twice on sheets 72-021 and 72-065 LINK AGAIN. Finally, Pavla has produced a resin cockpit and vacform canopy for B-47 that are a huge upgrade over the kit items LAST LINK .

Regards,

Murph

Unfortunately the Flightpath set is very incomplete. You don't get any of the antennas for the aft fuselage (except the large bathtub), and the fit of the major parts is mediocre at best. The nose section is solid molded, so the side windows either have to be painted on or reamed out (a lot of work). The set also doesn't address the inaccurate shape of the normal B-47 radome under the nose (the aft corners should be much more squared off). While not all RB's carried it, the set also doesn't give you the Silver King ELINT pod, nor even the fairings that covered the mounting points on the fuselage when it wasn't carried.

thanks, X plane fan. an excellent picture which will help when I do the conversion on the Hasegawa kit.

Jim, not sure if i can be of any help, but i have an RB-47H conversion underway, although its on the back burner right now. If i can be of any assistance i can pass along photos and insight on the progress i've made so far.

The resin nose and the ventral "Bathtub" radome fit just fine. The wingtip extensions mated to the wingtips OK with just a little bit of coaxing.

The jury is still out on the fit of the bulged bomb bay compartment; the cross section of the fuselage has a slight "Double Bubble" section and there is a definite crease running along the bomb bay hinge line.

I haven't held it in my hands, but i suspect starting off with the PAVLA B-47 cockpit set and putting that together would be a good opening move. I did not have that luxury available when i started my project some years ago.

david

Edited by Falcon50EX

Thanks, Falcon50EX. I don't know when I'll be starting the conversion; but I seem to be interested in building ELINT, recon, and SIGNIT aircraft such as the EP-3, the RC-135, and the RF-4C (all of which are in my stash). The Roden AN-12 (ECM) variant also looks good

Murph I have the Flightpath conversion, but from what Jennings is saying, I may have to perform major surgery to get it to fit and look good. I have a aftermarket cockpit for the B-47 as well as engines and nacelles.

Murph I have the Flightpath conversion, but from what Jennings is saying, I may have to perform major surgery to get it to fit and look good. I have a aftermarket cockpit for the B-47 as well as engines and nacelles.

Jim, For the record i do not entirely agree with Jennings' assessment. Let's just leave it at that.

The most significant "surgery" in this conversion is cutting the nose off to accommodate the longer. "Thimble" shaped nose. The one piece insert that goes in the bomb bay area doesn't take that much work if you have the proper tools. Sanding sticks, photo etched saws, super glue and maybe some sheet styrene. will take care of most of the heavy lifting.

For a completely independent data point, i recommend the RB-47H conversion built by the Late, Great Phil Brandt. Proof that it can be done. It in the Articles/ Galleries section on Hyperscale.

david

Edited by Falcon50EX
  • 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately the Flightpath set is very incomplete.

Sorry, but I disagree as well. Yes it may not include the ALD-4 pod as part of the full Silver King suite, but it's not like this pod was 'always' commonly carried either. In fact, I've been told Major Palm's H had not gone through Silver King mods yet in 1960 when it was shot down, and obviously H's had been flying a number of years by that time.

As for the rear antenna's above the bath tub fairing... Flightpath DOES include some of them, but maybe not necessarily all that were ever seen. This may have to do with what particular aircraft they were using for reference, as the antenna configurations did change over time.

I would say that one should have good ref's of the particular bird they're wanting to model... but since individual photos of all 35 birds at all points in their careers is going to be really difficult to come by (for good reason)... it's also kind of a dis-service to say that there's any one particular configuration that was the de-facto setup that should've been followed.

DB is who originally mastered the Flightpath conversion and deserves praise for the opportunity they've given the modeling community to actually model something other than a bomber version of the Hasegawa kit. It's too bad that more wasn't done.