New 1/72 Su-35 by Hasegawa announced in Nurnberg

Apologies if this is old news, but there are several pages of photos from the Paris gig here: Show Stopper!

Everyone looks happy -just wish I'd been there.

Must admit, the overall dark grey looks seriously sharp and sets it apart from the traditional Flanker schemes...they get to look more like Aggressor birds every day! :huh:/>

BEAUTIFUL bird ! I'll certainly take one, no, two !

Now i only need a figurine of Sergei Bogdan to go with it (!).

Stephane

Now i only need a figurine of Sergei Bogdan to go with it (!).

You could 'convert' the pilot figure from the Zvezda Su-27SM kit........ :whistle:/>

Su-27SM_12.jpg

Su-27SM_13.jpg

While comparing the spine to a side view i noticed a couple of things that are potentially wrong:

1: Intakes at the base of tails should be angled. Hard to fix, and it is tiny issue anyway.

2: Spine panels (carbon fiber on real thing) extend too far down. About 10 min job if one wants to fix it.

Can you please elaborate Berkut - I'm not sure what you mean...

Thanks

Ken

You could 'convert' the pilot figure from the Zvezda Su-27SM kit........ :whistle:

Su-27SM_12.jpg

Su-27SM_13.jpg

Thanks

Ken

[/quote

Are you kidding Ken ?

No, we have to lure, i mean invite Sergei to one of those 3D printing photo scanning boots that already exist in Europe so we can get a perfect full body scan (though it would be much better if this was for a 1/24th scale airplane (or even 1/35th), we would get much better results). :D

Stephane.

Email: stratospheremodels@yahoo.fr

Edited by Stratospheremodels

I agree that spine MAY be a little bit off. It looks too "sharp". The spine and upper fuselage blends much smoother in the real thing. Especially in the mid section. But not a big thing.

Looks perfectly fine to me still?

HRN2XbP.jpg

kekdx29.jpg

Su-30SM, but point stands:

kW6Lxad.png

Thanks

Ken

Open in new tab for full res:

2gU9hod.jpg

bOTDGTU.jpg

iIbEbyo.jpg

Compare to:

10270968b2.jpg

Depending on the lighting, photos may let us draw different conclusions.

Here is another one:

su_35.jpg

Did they change the spine from original Su-27? I know there is no airbrake and the rear sting section is different but is the spine designed to accommodate more in Su-35? Maybe I am used to Su-27 and Academy flanker...

Looks like a simple line fill and rescribe job if it is too visible.

Yup, 10 min job; for those that care.

Depending on the lighting, photos may let us draw different conclusions.

Light tends to "smoothen" out corners than other way around. Instead of relying on some distant shots, take a look at walkaround pictures. Drawings also illustrate it. Flanker spine is smooth at first, and then gets sharply defined. This shot illustrates this perfectly:

IMG_4054.JPG

+

w_su27_mirgorod_118.jpg

It goes from something like a bell distribution curve to an half ellipse and then into a half circle.

Again, Hasegawa's effort looks perfectly fine. As seen the "smoothening" panels on the sides of the spine are getting very subtle on the real thing, it is also seen in the Su-30SM crop.

Su-35S spine is as far as i am aware exactly the same in outline as Su-27. Yes, it does carry more fuel, but not at expense of outline like of say MiG-29SMT or 9.13.

It goes from something like a bell distribution curve to an half ellipse and then into a half circle.

...I bet mine will have a ß-distribution curve when I'm done with it.

Yeah, that guy should either get a toupee or a hat.

:rofl:/> :rofl:/> :rofl:/> :rofl:/> :rofl:/> !

Edited by ChippyWho

w_su27_mirgorod_118.jpg

This picture is great. Thanks for sharing. If we have similar picture of the model it will be conclusive. Anyhow it is not that critical to me since I wont even build in 1/72 :) However, I still think the mid section MAY not be perfect, especially around the ADF antenna.

• 1 month later...

Is the canopy the same as their 1:72 su-33? How can you fix it?

The frontal area of the canopy is too steep resulting a pointy bulge in the second piece.

Also note the burner cans are a bit "thick"

Look forward to the Zvezda 1:72 su-35...

Edited by Jeff

[sheldon]

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK, Hasegawa!

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK, Hasegawa!

[/sheldon]

Can we have one in 48th, please?

Edited by Airfixer

Stunning. Can't wait to get one. I just got Zvezda Su-27SM yesterday, and with this one due to be released; It is raining Flankers, hallelujah! :woot.gif:

The only slight disappointment i can see are the exhaust. Kinda thick, "flat", and seems to be dropping directly downwards (Su-37 style) instead of inwards? Also, dat boxart. Gonna frame it for sure.

Regarding canopy, it can be fixed pretty easy with some sanding stick, micromesh and future. I have done it, takes half an hour at most.

I was looking at the aircraft pictures on the previous pages and would like to hear from you guys something about the stance of the model as it sits on its landing gear in the Hasegawa pictures. It seems to me that the nose landing gear is a bit too tall (or something), as in the picture of the real aircraft the Su-35 seems to have a rather nose down attitude on the ground!?

Don't get me wrong, I am eagerly awaiting this release and am just trying to put my mind at ease and order a couple once available :)

And Berkut, can you please post here a link to the topic or post (?) where one can see the finished result of your efforts on the Hasegawa canopy? Thank you!

It also looks like they may have got the S-shaped bulge on the LERX cross-section almost correct - something I had never spotted until the super-accurate Zvezda Su-27SM had it......

Su-27SM_50.jpg

Su-27SM_51.jpg

All other Flanker kits to date just have a concave curve.

Ken

It seems to me that the nose landing gear is a bit too tall (or something), as in the picture of the real aircraft the Su-35 seems to have a rather nose down attitude on the ground!?

Yes, seems the nose gear is indeed a few mm too long giving it too little of the classic nose down attitude. Seems the issue is between the lower light and fuselage, that area is a little bit too long. As seen the lower light should be just under the door.

ZZjXpeI.jpg

And Berkut, can you please post here a link to the topic or post (?) where one can see the finished result of your efforts on the Hasegawa canopy? Thank you!

Pictures are not perfect but gives the idea. Original:

DSC01103.jpg

After sanding:

Su-33canopyfikset.jpg

VS Su-27SM canopy:

SMcanopy.jpg

I was a little bit conservative in the sanding the bulge, should have sanded a little more. (we are talking under half a mm here...) But imho it is a very visible improvement.

I was looking at the pictures and thought the AKU-58 looked wrong. But on closer inspection, they were installed backwards... rolleyes.gif/> nothing to worry about and details look "correct"

And it seems now they got it correctly the different size of the intakes at the base of the vertical tails.

Edited by Inquisitor

Thanks a lot for both the canopy pictures and for pointing out that reference segment on the nose gear leg, Berkut!

No problem. :thumbsup: (Btw, the new canopy you got from Zvezda, do you see "frosty" imperfections in it or is it perfectly clear?)

I was looking at the pictures and thought the AKU-58 looked wrong. But on closer inspection, they were installed backwards...

Nicely spotted!

And it seems now they got it correctly the different size of the intakes at the base of the vertical tails.

Yes they did, but the bigger intake looks about 50% too large... I fear that there are even bigger issue to the vertical tails, but i will withhold the comments till i have sprues on hand.