New 1/72 Su-35 by Hasegawa announced in Nurnberg

I believe the actual seat designation is at the top right -'K36D5' (etc)? It looks like it has foam covering around the head box; I wonder if this is common practice for other variants in Flanker installations...or maybe they didn't quite finish unpacking it before the shoot!

The K36D5 is the designation of the particular type of seat.

I dont know what you mean by the "foam covering around the head box". On the walk around photos they had some protective covers (which are standard and used all the time) the ones from the T.O. Manual show a display seat. If you mean the green material on the head box, this is the new upholstery used instead of the earlier black leather.

Best regards

Gabor

The K36D5 is the designation of the particular type of seat.

I dont know what you mean by the "foam covering around the head box". On the walk around photos they had some protective covers (which are standard and used all the time) the ones from the T.O. Manual show a display seat. If you mean the green material on the head box, this is the new upholstery used instead of the earlier black leather.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor, thanks for responding!

What I was referring to is the side/top faces of the head box. If you right-click/save as .jpg on the seat images here, then open the image in Windows (or your preferred pictures option) you can zoom in quite close. It is then apparent that the sides and top of the head box, and parts of the drogue ejector cylinders on either side, are covered in a textured grey material like foam or felt. Despite my silly remark, this is unlikely to be transit protection as you can see the usual seat placards installed over it on the left side.

I've only seen all-painted K36s before, so wondered what that was all about.

All the Best.

Edited by ChippyWho

Got my kit in the mail.... the box is big... really big. like as big as the 4 engined WWII bomber kits they released (maybe wider and taller but not as deep). I'll take some photos today. It looks pretty good in its box, but I have little to compare it to. The biggest concern I had (given I'm a non-expert) was the tailpipe, which still looks a bit thick, but not as terrible as I had previously thought.

Hi Gabor, thanks for responding!

What I was referring to is the side/top faces of the head box. If you right-click/save as .jpg on the seat images here, then open the image in Windows (or your preferred pictures option) you can zoom in quite close. It is then apparent that the sides and top of the head box, and parts of the drogue ejector cylinders on either side, are covered in a textured grey material like foam or felt. Despite my silly remark, this is unlikely to be transit protection as you can see the usual seat placards installed over it on the left side.

I've only seen all-painted K36s before, so wondered what that was all about.

All the Best.

Hi there ChippyWho,

I will have a look at my own photos of the seat I took at the show last year and in the Zvezda factory. Parts of the seat are not metal, for example the front of the stabilizing booms on the sides of the headbox have a black rubber cover over them (the front part anyway), just as the arm protector actuators (the round thing at the bottom of the sidearms) is also rubber. When the seat is fired the arm protectors move outwards first and then forward, the centre piece (the rubber cover of the axl) is shoot off.

The designers of the seats are working constantly to reduce weigth and further improve the safety (it is already the safest seat on the market) so different new materials are used when ever possible and not only metal. It could be this that you have seen. The parachute pack in the head box is now incrediblly small in size. Compare it to the headbox of the firs series K-36DM seats as used in the Su-24, and some Su-22 aircraft.

Best regards

Gabor

Since it's the same sprue as the Su-33 it should be the same measurement. The R-77 in it is 5cm in length.

I had unsubstantiated hopes that they would update the mold for Su-35S. Thing is, what they have in the kit is RVV-AE, the original R-77. Which was never used by RuAF and as far as i know, never will. It is 3.6 m in length. The updated version is called RVV-SD and has longer range and as such longer length behind the wings. In scale it is only 1.5 mm but there is a visual difference between them in my opinion. Shouldn't be hard to modify tho.

I had unsubstantiated hopes that they would update the mold for Su-35S. Thing is, what they have in the kit is RVV-AE, the original R-77. Which was never used by RuAF and as far as i know, never will. It is 3.6 m in length. The updated version is called RVV-SD and has longer range and as such longer length behind the wings. In scale it is only 1.5 mm but there is a visual difference between them in my opinion. Shouldn't be hard to modify tho.

The sprue looks exactly the same from photos, I wouldn't hope for them to make a minor update to an already "done" sprue. Besides they omitted the AKU/APU-170 in both releases anyways...

Edited by Inquisitor

Gabor can you post some photos of differnces of different K-36 seats....maybe in new topic :-) i like to see some detail shots :-) and any shots available from Zvezda factory... Cannot imagine :-) i onpy seen video with assembling room like room at home :-)

I cannot wait to have my example :-)

Berkut did autor of Su-35 walkround have walkaround of Su-30 from same airfield (Dzemgi?) Thanks

Edited by mario krijan

Hi Berkut,

As one well known manufacture would say: those are minor differences :D :D :D and only few modellers would care about it, not the general modeling community! So why invest in it . . .

Best regards

Gabor

The sprue looks exactly the same from photos, I wouldn't hope for them to make a minor update to an already "done" sprue. Besides they omitted the AKU/APU-170 in both releases anyways...

I agree it might not make any sense from economics side* to modify it but one can hope. :P I actually didn't realize they didn't include AKU-170 til now, but then again i haven't paid attention to the R-77's included in Su-33 kit. That is a shame, but then again AKU-170 isn't the most complex pylon in the world to scratchbuild.

*Although they should have done the correct version to start with imho, RVV-AE or RVV-SD, they are equally useless for Su-33

Berkut did autor of Su-35 walkround have walkaround of Su-30 from same airfield (Dzemgi?) Thanks

Not as far as i know. Then again Su-30M2 is more or less no different from Su-30MKK and the kind, so a walkaround is not "needed", for details atleast. And yup, Dzemgi.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have 1/72 scale plans for the old Su-35 and Su-37 or can point me a book or something with those on?

Planning to destroy a couple of Trumpeter kits to get my freaking dream done,thanks

Anyone have 1/72 scale plans for the old Su-35 and Su-37 or can point me a book or something with those on?

Planning to destroy a couple of Trumpeter kits to get my freaking dream done,thanks

Not necessarily 1/72 scale - but you can download a set of Su-37 drawings from here.

My conversion - using the old Airfix kit is here

You need to scroll down a bit to find it.

flank_26.jpg

Ken

Ken your links are the same!?

Doh!! :doh: :doh: Sorry about that.

A lot of my early Flanker builds are hosted on the Linden Hill site - thanks to Guy Holroyd.

But I noticed that there is no longer a link from his front page - the articles are still there, but you have to find them..

The Su-37 conversion (amongst others) is here :- http://www.lindenhillimports.com/flankers.htm

The other articles are also linked via my modelling home page here:- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/modl_home.htm - 3rd 'group' down.

A lot of the links are no longer extant - and those that work are very old now :woot.gif:

Ken

Meanwhile..... back to the Hasegawa Su-35S kit......

Is it out yet ??? has anyone actually seen it ???

HLJ say its 'Backordered' - other online shops say you can 'Pre-Order'.

I was talking to a guy at a model show last week (10 August) - and he told me he had one - from HLJ !!! - and desribed it, so I don't doubt him.

Someone posted on here that they had it...

Was there an initial release - and it has disappeared ???

What's going on ???

Some sites say 'July release', others 'Late August'.... Hannants says 'Future Release'

Enquiring minds want to know....

Confused Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Meanwhile..... back to the Hasegawa Su-35S kit......

Is it out yet ??? has anyone actually seen it ???

HLJ say its 'Backordered' - other online shops say you can 'Pre-Order'.

I was talking to a guy at a model show last week (10 August) - and he told me he had one - from HLJ !!! - and desribed it, so I don't doubt him.

Someone posted on here that they had it...

Was there an initial release - and it has disappeared ???

What's going on ???

Some sites say 'July release', others 'Late August'.... Hannants says 'Future Release'

Enquiring minds want to know....

Confused Ken

Pre-ordered mine for about £16 from HLJ back when I was still in short pants (weelll, it was still summer here then :rolleyes: ). I've been sitting on it for a couple of weeks now. If you want to find someone with current stock, you have to ask yourself one question...do I feel Lucky?

I've had mine for two weeks. Its really nice... the box is as big as their lancaster one. I was going to take photos of it but nobody seemed interested. I might start on it in a few weeks time, after I finish the Hasgawa F-35.

Hi Folks!

I've got mine for one week ago from HLJ in a very clever box, and as I see, I was one of the last lucky buyer from the first batch . The kit really nice, but the colour instruction is wrong for the dark gray-light blue variants (the upper surface colour is I think more Gunze XDSG H333, than Midnight Blue H55). Nice kit OOB, but the exhaust could be thinner, as like in the SU-33 too, may be we need for it an aftermarket exhaust,a correct HUD, a new bang seat and more stencil decal, but as I see in the walkaround pictures, this type has not as many stencils, than in the older SU-33 or SU-27 types.

So..... was the initial release just a small batch sold exclusively by HLJ ???

(HLJ is now showing it as 'Backordered' - which means 'Sold Out')

They don't seem to have hit Europe yet - at least I haven't seen any advertised.

Any US sources ???

Ken