1/72 Hasegawa F-14A

Ok so I am wrapping up this Hase 1/72 Tomcat, and I have to make some observations....

1. The Tomcat in general is a hassle to finish. It has a little bit of everything going on, from multi-hued NMF burner cans, to NMF leading edges on the wings an tail, NMF gun port panel, NMF intake lips, large canopy, green tinted windscreen, Phoenix missiles with almost entire body decaling, complicated landing gear, multiple landing gear doors that require red edging and complicated positioning. It seems to just go on and on. And Heaven help you if you want to do a gray over white scheme because of the way the body is shaped.... gray, then white, then gray again (the demarkation for which extends behind the intake assembly). I think there is twice as much finishing work on an F-14 as the average gray Navy or Air Force jet. Then you add in....

2. The Hasegawa F-14.... a beautiful, but WAY over engineered model, featuring about twice as many parts as needed, and that does not include weapons. Alignment on everything is critical. I made the mistake of putting a resin cockpit in mine, so I had to do some surgery just to get it in, then found out later that my gear well was displaced to one side about 2mm. More corrective surgery. And honestly, looking at the kit parts, a replacement pit was not really needed. it comes with PE plackards to put over the flat cockpit panels. Apply the kit cockpit decals and you are done...but there are like a dozen panels in there.

The burner cans are five parts, plus PE if you want to hassle with it...and you better align them just right or the turkey feathers will not sit flush, plus my exhaust seemed to be too wide for the turkey feathers and I had to carefully file away some outer diameter.

Kit comes designed to have flaps and slat deployed. If you want them up, you have to cut off the actuators....but do you think the slats will just sit flush after removing just the actuators? Nope. You have to take more plastic off of the backside of the slats for them to sit flush. Even then, getting a precision, consistent, panel line demarkation between the slat and the wing is problematic. Out comes the putty and scriber. That isn't easy either. I had to redo mine several times to get it "acceptable."

Then there is the landing gear....After much trial an error over the years, I have evolved a technique where I just build the gear as I build the model (this allows for alignment checks and adjustment before the cement dries completely), then spray the gear and wells white, then mask using a combination of tissue paper, aluminium foil, Tamiya masking tape, and liquid mask. Can you take that approach on an F-14? Nope. The F-14 MLG legs go RIGHT NEXT to the fuselage. They have to be installed after painting. So I painted all of the gear parts and installed them separately. I hate doing it like this because you have to use super glue and it makes to hard to adjust the various connecting landing gear parts....but wait......about this little nose gear actuator...the one the instructions told you to install back in step 1 or 2?....guess what...that ain't going in now, because you have to put it in BEFORE the nose strut.

There are also a couple of other "gotchas" in the mix if you are not careful. One of my pet peeves is wheels and axles. They should fit comfortably, not so tightly that a few thin coats of white paint requires that you whittle down the axle or hollow out the mounting hole.

So be forewarned, This is one of those kits that is so complicated that you have to build it to learn how to build it.

I am planning on starting another, using the lessons learned from the first battle....and this will be SOB.

Oh, and did I mention the decals? They were from CAM, who generally has a good rep. Not this time. I was doing VF-111. Not easy. The shark mouth would not accept the curvature of the radome, despite having the foresight to cut it in half before trying to apply it. I ended up having to practically repaint the whole thing by hand, because that white decal film?...that is not quite completely opaque, so it did not match the tonal value of my touch up paint. Worse, however, was the sunburst tail decal. You have to paint white underneath it, to make the white cover. No big deal as it was anticipated. However, the decal was simply made too big. It was sized for the entire tail, INCLUDING the NMF leading edge. No fix possible. All I could do is trim as best I could. It is not noticeable to the casual observer, but someone who knows what the are looking at will notice.

Edited by DutyCat

One of my pet peeves is wheels and axles. They should fit comfortably, not so tightly that a few thin coats of white paint requires that you whittle down the axle or hollow out the mounting hole.

I've learned this the hard way over the years, so now after I remove any mold seams from the landing gear and wheels, I immediately add a dab of Micro Mask to the areas that will be glued.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

The Fujimi 1/72 F-14 is a lot easier than the Hasegawa kit.

Well, I have tried that one too and had issues with the wings. Mine were warped slightly and bent upwards. It wasn't really noticeable until I tried to fit them. I had an older boxing, used, so it was probably sitting in someone's garage. The decals were also too thick and had yellowed some.

My Hase Tomcat is okay now as I have overcome most of the problems, and the next time I build one I will know what to look out for. I am just saying if you have never built one, be aware of these issues, have a good plan, and be careful.

Edited by DutyCat

the hase kit is way more trouble than it's worth in many respects. As much as I dislike Jennings, I agree with him about the Fujimi kit... its easier in almost every respect while turning out a very detailed kit.

The hase kit may turn out a nice result, but I'm sorry... you need a magnifying glass to see half the parts properly, much less install them right without a problem.

After reading several not so kind reviews of the Hasegawa kit, I sold off most of mine, and will use other kits instead. Its another one of those kits that looks great in the box, but is an over engineered headache to build. No thanks! Fred K.

I built an Hasegawa D and a fujimi A concurrently. Like the Hasegawa F-4, I think it s a challenge... however I wouldn't call it over-engineered. First, The F-14's shape doesn't lend itself to being easy to build as a model: large protruding nacelles, swing wing, and long forward fuselage, nestled between two large intakes is a major challenge to tool (particularly before slide molding was introduced). Rather the hasegawa kit is designed to provide a base to provide each major variant of the fighter. And it achieves that. Hasegawa is the only manufacturer that legitimately offers every version of the tomcat (and accurately). The Fujimi really only builds an accurate early A, the rest...not so much. To get all of the sub-variants with less components, you would need a number of very large and expensive toolings.

Its a case of different things for different people. I personally like a high level or realism and don't mind a bit of a challenge, so the hasegawa kit is my go-to. The only dislike I have is the exhaust, but I replaced them. In general its one of the best kits OOB.

4X2.jpg

4X1.jpg

Edited by -Neu-

In the interest of actually finishing a model, I bought the HobbyBoss 1/72 Tomcat. It looks nice in the box. Delicate engraved lines, and not so many sprues as to induce a panic attack. I'm sure it doesn't live up the the expectations of most of the rivet counters, but on the other hand, it isn't toy-like either. And it cost less than $20 IIRC. I'll build it, put it in the display case and won't look closely at it again for the rest of my life, so... smile.gif Just figured I'd weigh in if anyone is reading this thread and now scared away from the Hase.

Good luck on yours. Sounds like you're in the home stretch?

Oh... I haven't had the greatest luck with CAM decals either. Couldn't find a setting solution that could deal with them. Even Solvaset couldn't touch em.

I got my first Hasegawa F-14 a few weeks ago. Surely looks nice in the box, the non-swingable swing wings do not please the inner child and reading the comments above, I think that kit will stay an only-child. I am sure that by the time I will have the space to build and display a F-14 in 1/72 again, another two or three new molds will have become available by then. ;-)

Cheers

Thorsten

I have not built either the Fujimi or the new tool Hasegawa F-14s, but I bought both for a good reason. If you want to build a correct F-14 with the wings forward, the gap behind the wing should be closed up, which, unfortunately, will prevent the wing from ever sweeping back. The Hasegawa kit has alternate parts for that gap to be open to accept swept back wings, or closed with the wings forward. The Fujimi kit does not, so if you want the wings forward, the Hasegawa kit is the way to go. But if you want the wings back, you can build the Fujimi kit, and then you get to have wings that move, plus all the extra weapons.

I am going to build a Hasegawa F-14 with the wings forward, and all the flaps and slats hanging out. You couldn't retract the wings with the flaps down anyway. I am going to build my Fujimi F-14 with the flaps up and play with the wings.

Just my opinion, but I find it hard to criticize a kit just because it is difficult to build. As has been mentioned previously, the F-14 is a very complex-shaped A/C and I give Hasegawa credit for making their best effort to accurately capture all the shapes and contours. Although it is challenging and does take much care and patience to build, it does produce the most accurate Tomcat model in 1:72.

And if you want to complain that the shape of the F-14 makes it too difficult to paint, then go build something else that adds less stress to your life.

Nobody is forcing you to build a particular kit. This is a hobby that we do for fun, enjoyment and relaxation. If a modeler prefer a simpler, less accurate kit that they can slam together with fewer building challenges, then that's fine. Just don't criticize a kit because it happens to exceed your level of patience or skill.

Mark

Just my opinion, but I find it hard to criticize a kit just because it is difficult to build. [...]

The original poster called it "observations" and I must admit that I am thankfull for those because it helps me decide on future purchases and builds. With my current scale model setup and overall personal life, I try to avoid anything that takes a certain amount of time, space, work. So I am more than thankfull for the original post, I even printed it out and will store it in the Box of my Hasegawa F-14, just as a reminder.

Cheers

Thorsten

Actually, even the old tool 1/72 Hasegawa Tomcat ( one of my first models years ago) was pretty complex ( esp the intake areas) but a lot easier to build than the new tool "over-engineered" Hase Toms. The old tool actually built up to a pretty accurate version of the Tomcat and even included a full weapons load. The only thing I would add are new seats ( the ones in the old tool kit are okay for it's time and don't have the overhead yellow/black ejection "rings")

I must confess I have a special place in my heart for the old tool Hase Tomcats because of the awesome Shigeo Koike boxarts, esp the ones with VF-33 Tarsiers, VF-74 "Be-Devilers" AND VF-111 Sundowners paintings on the boxtop :)

By the way, the 1/72 Academy Tomcat is not too bad either ( although the windscreen looks slightly too large to me, sort of like Hobbyboss A-7 Corsair windscreen)

Fujimi Tomcats are the best value for money. Full weapons load, 2 of the best Navy jet pilots I've seen in 1/72, displayable engines with trolleys, etc. One thing though, IIRC I believe I read somewhere, the chin pod for the Fujimi F-14D is wrong but don't quote me on that.

As for Hobbyboss, hmmm, I don't know. Something just feels "off" about the kit when looking at built pics online, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Anyhoo, despite the difficulty level, my top choice for 1/72 Tomcats will be Hasegawa 1st, Fujimi 2nd and Academy 3rd. Oh, and I'd still build the old tool Hase Toms just to slap on some cool decals. Very satisfactory builds, the old tool ones.

Actually, even the old tool 1/72 Hasegawa Tomcat ( one of my first models years ago) was pretty complex ( esp the intake areas) but a lot easier to build than the new tool "over-engineered" Hase Toms. The old tool actually built up to a pretty accurate version of the Tomcat and even included a full weapons load. The only thing I would add are new seats ( the ones in the old tool kit are okay for it's time and don't have the overhead yellow/black ejection "rings")

I agree with your comments about the "old tool" Hasegawa Tomcats. They were certainly a major improvement over the old Airfix and Matchbox kits that were around when they were first released in the 70's. The overall shape is good and they are great for showing off different early squadron colors and markings. The cockpit was state-of-the-art when it was first released with the two-piece seats and side consoles with decals. They made some minor improvements to the cockpit over the years (like adding a control column), but they're still pretty basic compared to current kits. I've installed some Verlinden resin cockpits in them which look good. I've got a bunch of them in my stash and still will pick one up now and then if the price is right.

Mark

The original poster called it "observations" and I must admit that I am thankfull for those because it helps me decide on future purchases and builds. With my current scale model setup and overall personal life, I try to avoid anything that takes a certain amount of time, space, work. So I am more than thankfull for the original post, I even printed it out and will store it in the Box of my Hasegawa F-14, just as a reminder.

Cheers

Thorsten

One of the great things about our hobby is that we can all build to our own personal tastes and desires. That's one of the reasons I stopped entering model contests a few years ago; I found I was building more to the contest rules rather than doing what I enjoyed.

I guess I just don't buy into the comments that the kit is "over engineered". Complicated? Yes. Challenging? Certainly, no doubt. But I think that Hasegawa deserves credit for designing and manufacturing a kit that pushes the envelope as far as what can be accomplished with an injection-molded plastic kit. Personally, I think it's a great kit. One of the best 1:72 kits that I've ever built.

But again, if that's not your thing, then don't aggravate yourself trying to take it on. Do what makes you happy.

Mark

I don't own it so I can't speak to this particular kit, but there definitely are cases of "over-engineering". Take a look at just about any of Dragon's 1/35 AFV's. If a component can be modeled accurately and in great detail with a single part, you can bet Dragon will do it with five parts. And that's not just me saying that. Their ships tend to go in that direction as well.

Cheers,

Bill

I don't own it so I can't speak to this particular kit, but there definitely are cases of "over-engineering". Take a look at just about any of Dragon's 1/35 AFV's. If a component can be modeled accurately and in great detail with a single part, you can bet Dragon will do it with five parts. And that's not just me saying that. Their ships tend to go in that direction as well.

Cheers,

Bill

in the armor community, most folks think that Dragon ate Tamiya's lunch about ten years ago. Then AFV followed suit with Trumpeter right in there as well. You got to the LHS and now see five to six times the kit range of Tamiya, and these eventually end up in the 50% off pile. My favorite example is the $190 PzKw III kit that retailed for about $200!! I said they were nuts. The dealer said it came with a $45 set of metal tracks and photo etch for an old molding! The Dragon kit came with magic tracks, and a little bit of photo etch. So you want more PE, and that's another $25. You want the Fruils and that's another $45. You spent about 60% and got a far better kit!

gary

Cheers,

Bill

I'd make the case that if Dragon, Hasegawa (or any kit manufacturer) is using five parts to represent something rather than just one, then it was because they didn't feel it was possible to do so and still have the level of detail or accuracy they were trying to achieve.

I like to assume that folks always have good intentions. Model kit designers aren't intentionally trying to make a kit difficult to assemble, they're just trying to do the best they can with what they have to work with (technology, time & budget). It's certainly a lot easier and less expensive to design & manufacture a kit with fewer rather than more parts.

Due to the limitations of the styrene and the injection molding process, every kit is going have have certain compromises engineered in due to either technical or economic considerations. That's one of the things that makes the F-14 so challenging; the shape is just too complicated to do accurately with a simple mold.

Of course, a separate consideration is the quality of the fit. I'll grant that it doesn't accomplish anything if the parts don't fit properly or are poorly molded. But that is certainly not the case with the subject Hasegawa Tomcat. The parts all fit well, but are molded with very tight tolerances and require careful fitting, alignment and assembly. It's also a kit that requires careful assembly sequence planning if you deviate from the instruction sheet. It's easy to back yourself into a corner if you aren't careful. The kit definitely requires a well-thought-through assembly and painting strategy.

I've got a "B" that's currently on my workbench in assembly getting ready for the first trip throught the paint booth. I'll try to post some photos later when I get home if anyone's interested.

Mark

Edited by redcorvette

I like to assume that folks always have good intentions. Model kit designers aren't intentionally trying to make a kit difficult to assemble, they're just trying to do the best they can with what they have to work with (technology, time & budget). It's certainly a lot easier and less expensive to design & manufacture a kit with fewer rather than more parts.

For the most part yes, but there's always the Chicom factor. I think in their rush to market in the west, they may have bent to the will of their business "experts". I can see a marketing guy telling an engineer, higher parts count attracts the "real" adult modelers with disposable income and will fetch a higher price tag. Obviously not the case, but as a marketing guy, I've seen many decisions made, in the interest of marketing, that ultimately result in an unfriendly and unsuccessful product. It happens, and I have no reason to believe the model kit makers are immune to the phenomenon. I've built Dragon kits that simply defy reason.

So, yes. I'd like to see your B when you get a chance. What squadron?

Cheers,

Bill