1/72 Hasegawa F-14A

Dragon reinvented the genre, no doubt about it. Whether or not they've produced a better model building experience than Tamiya, probably not. The vast majority of us aren't looking for the level of detail, accuracy or complexity that Dragon strives for. We just want something that reasonably looks the part, doesn't cost a fortune, and causes minimal brain damage during the build. I do love the fact that you can get DML kits on the second hand market for 10-15 bucks. I'm looking at a stack of Soviet BMP's and T-72's that I snagged for about $10 each. Nice stuff, and mostly subjects Tamiya has, and will, never care to do. Love what they're doing in ships. Kit's I'd never dreamt would be done in plastic—and as expensive as they are, don't approach Hasegawa's pricing altitude.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Gil,

You sound like the guy who might know this:

I'd like to find 1/72 decals for each squadron I deployed with in CVW-7. Any idea if anyone does VS-31 Topcats? Would love it to be Gulf War era, low viz, but I'd take just about anything and make due.

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by PacificAirWar

Hi,

I have built 1 Airfix, 2 Old Hasegawas (both times with Italeri Windshield), 1 Academy, 2 Fujimis and 5 new Hasegawas Tomacts (2 As, 1B, 2Ds)

My first Hasegawa New Tool Tomcat was built quite soon after they were originally released probably end of 1991, latest until now around 2006). Caution and care was exercized but no major issue on building these models.

I rate the Hasegawa F-14s as the best (by far) Tomcats in 1/72nd scale. I feel Fujimi's is just a skinny cat and I always felt I had to cement Phoenix pallets in place to conceal it front fuselage being to thin.

Plus as neu and others said they are the only (except now maybe the Hobby Boss) to really allow any version besides As to seriously be built.. Hasegawa is complex (then the Fujimi part cut is complex too) but this also is beacause they allow you to detail any subversion and evolution of the F-14 (tails, wheels, engines, ECM bulges, Tail fairing, Cannon exhausts, cockpit and seats etc...)

Not only do I believe the Hasegawa Tomcat the best 1/72nd scale Tomcat on the market, I also rate them as one of the kits that were (and still are) milestones in model development (and that is not just because I love Tomcats) . Have a look at the sharpness of panel lines, details etc... and you'll see Fujimis are no real challenge here. (I nonetheless respect the fact that some for some reasons prefer the Fujimi tooling - just my point of view).

Thay now are 25 year old models but still hold their position. Of course mould maybe aging now and a saw some signs of details vanishing on recent releases.

Would I love newer Tomcats being released? I did not feel to go for the Hobby Boss kits (mostly because I already have 5-6 Hasegawas in my stash)but seing Tamiya releasing an F-16C I'd probably buy one or two of theirs if they were releasing a new Tomcat..

Until then Hasegawa Tomcats win everytime..

Cheers all

Eric B.

Just my opinion, but I find it hard to criticize a kit just because it is difficult to build. As has been mentioned previously, the F-14 is a very complex-shaped A/C and I give Hasegawa credit for making their best effort to accurately capture all the shapes and contours. Although it is challenging and does take much care and patience to build, it does produce the most accurate Tomcat model in 1:72.

And if you want to complain that the shape of the F-14 makes it too difficult to paint, then go build something else that adds less stress to your life.

Nobody is forcing you to build a particular kit. This is a hobby that we do for fun, enjoyment and relaxation. If a modeler prefer a simpler, less accurate kit that they can slam together with fewer building challenges, then that's fine. Just don't criticize a kit because it happens to exceed your level of patience or skill.

Mark

Mark, I think you are missing the point. I have built a lot of jets, and I was just making an observation that the Hase 'cat is the one of the more difficult builds I have come across. I am not trying to start anything, but your inferences are probably not the best choice of words. Although no one is perfect, and we all make mistakes, I am probably about as good a 1/72 jet modeler as you'll find anywhere. Just sayin.'

F18C1012_zps0a3db19f.jpg

Edited by DutyCat

Hi Gil,

You sound like the guy who might know this:

I'd like to find 1/72 decals for each squadron I deployed with in CVW-7. Any idea if anyone does VS-31 Topcats? Would love it to be Gulf War era, low viz, but I'd take just about anything and make due.

Thanks,

Bill

Microscale had an East Coast sheet with a VS-31 CAG on it. It is a traditional, high viz 70's early 80s scheme. I know of no low viz VS-31 sheet, although you could probably combine a low viz sheet with a few custom made markings.

Mark, I think you are missing the point. I have built a lot of jets, and I was just making an observation that the Hase 'cat is the one of the more difficult builds I have come across. I am not trying to start anything, but your inferences are probably not the best choice of words. Although no one is perfect, and we all make mistakes, I am probably about as good a 1/72 jet modeler as you'll find anywhere. Just sayin.'

F18C1012_zps0a3db19f.jpg

I can only speak of myself, but I wasn't responding to you, but to others who claim the kit a "Bad model." You were very clear that you believed the kit was a bit more than you thought it would be. I'd warned others before. However from so many different perspectives, the Hasegawa F-14 is probably one of the best on the markets... it really is a classic, up there with the Monogram 1/72 F8F, Eduard F6F, Tamiya P-47, Airfix Spitfire, ect. I would suspect that MArk's also responding to them, not you.

On the note of difficult builds, I'd actually say that an even more difficult one is the Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1. It has even more fiddly parts, with long legs/nacelles, but at about 0.8 of the size.

Sorry for the washed out image.

2L4.jpg

2o7.jpg

Edited by -Neu-

One of the great things about our hobby is that we can all build to our own personal tastes and desires. That's one of the reasons I stopped entering model contests a few years ago; I found I was building more to the contest rules rather than doing what I enjoyed.

I guess I just don't buy into the comments that the kit is "over engineered". Complicated? Yes. Challenging? Certainly, no doubt. But I think that Hasegawa deserves credit for designing and manufacturing a kit that pushes the envelope as far as what can be accomplished with an injection-molded plastic kit. Personally, I think it's a great kit. One of the best 1:72 kits that I've ever built.

But again, if that's not your thing, then don't aggravate yourself trying to take it on. Do what makes you happy.

Mark

That F-18 in the picture I posted is the Fujimi 1/72 kit. It is another classic example of an "overengineered" kit. Don't give me a bunch of BS about how they needed that many pieces to get the shape right, because they didn't get the shape right. Plus it also has a couple of boneheaded design oversights, like the attachment for the LEX protruding through the wall of the cockpit, and super shallow holes in the nose wheels where the axle attaches. The high part count drove the price up to the $40 range, roughly twice that of the Hasegawa F-18 kit. The Hasegawa kit also has some issues, but at least they did get the shape right, and it has about half the part count of the Fujimi.

I just don't buy that Hase needed that high a part count to give us an acccurate F-14. How about getting some basic engineering right instead? There is section of the main wheel wells that are not walled....just open air access to the interior fuselage. How about a part there Hasegawa? Or why when I cut off the slat extension posts do I have to hack away at the interior slat plastic to get them to sit flush on the wing.

Again, having said all this it is an excellent kit overall. But you better bring your "A" game of you want to tackle it, especially if it is your first run at it. Having now built it once, there are a half dozen or so things I will do differently the next time.

That F-18 in the picture I posted is the Fujimi 1/72 kit. It is another classic example of an "overengineered" kit. Don't give me a bunch of BS about how they needed that many pieces to get the shape right, because they didn't get the shape right. Plus it also has a couple of boneheaded design oversights, like the attachment for the LEX protruding through the wall of the cockpit, and super shallow holes in the nose wheels where the axle attaches. The high part count drove the price up to the $40 range, roughly twice that of the Hasegawa F-18 kit. The Hasegawa kit also has some issues, but at least they did get the shape right, and it has about half the part count of the Fujimi.

Oh,yeah. That dreaded Fujimi Hornet. I have a total of ONE Fujimi Hornet and I will never get another one again. I got the "Top Gun" version of the kit and initially I was all excited about it because the parts looked good in the box and it had something it's closest competitor at that time (Hase) didn't have: Photoetch for the HUD mount, canopy mirrors, etc. Plus open nose cone showing the radar. I figured the high cost justified the parts (this was long before the Academy Horny came out) But looking at built up kits on the forums and the teeth gnashing modelers had to go through to build the Fujimi Hornet, I put it back in storage and hid it in a deep dark place. I also have garlic, a stake and holy water ready in case it rears it's ugly head back again. DutyCat, my hats off to you sir for winning that award. It must have been hand-to-hand combat to beat that sow into a silk purse.

I just don't buy that Hase needed that high a part count to give us an acccurate F-14. How about getting some basic engineering right instead? There is section of the main wheel wells that are not walled....just open air access to the interior fuselage. How about a part there Hasegawa? Or why when I cut off the slat extension posts do I have to hack away at the interior slat plastic to get them to sit flush on the wing.

Exactly! I always have problems with the wheel part of the Hase Toms. The slat thing too..it's a common problem with their F-111s. But at least the F-111 isn't as over-engineered.

To be honest, I'd like to build a lot of Hase Toms & Phantoms because to me, they are still the best even after all these years but the design of the kits is slowing me down and contributes to my lack of motivation to finish these kits. But I'd still take them over other kits any day, esp if the price is right :)

On the plus side though, I believe Hasegawa is actually listening & learning (albeit slowly) because some of their newer kits are designed for easier builds, eg, their 1/72 Eurofighter.

One thing though, IIRC I believe I read somewhere, the chin pod for the Fujimi F-14D is wrong but don't quote me on that.

It was completely hosed. You can build a decent A model, and even a decent A+/B from their stuff, but they didn't do their homework for the D.

It was completely hosed. You can build a decent A model, and even a decent A+/B from their stuff, but they didn't do their homework for the D.

I've never seen the Fujimi F14d, but always knew they did one. My main interest would have been an early F14a, and I think Fujimi nailed it

gary

Sorry Gents, as always I am late for the party. Thank you to the OP for the heads up on the "newer" Hasegawa kit. I have a couple in the pile waiting for future projects and being forwarned is a huge step up. Personally, I love the older Hasegawa 'A' Tomcats. Yes, they have raised panel lines, but boy do they go together quick, easy, and relatively hassle free. You can turnout a lineup of F-14A's assembly line fashion in fairly short order should you desire. Also, they can be found for dirt cheap if you are shrewd and patient. Anyways...thanks for the info fellas.

Happy modeling!

Don.

Great result, well done for persevering!

Thanks. It does give a good impression overall. There is some roughness around the canopy glass edges, which you can probably see there in that close up shot. I did some "unsuccessful" experimentation there. But aside from that and a couple of other minor glitches, a generally solid result. I will get a better result next time.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring up an old post, but something interesting was released in Japan recently which I felt was relevant to this topic. :)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10262544

http://peachtree-hills.net/blog/how_to_build_f14-1116.html

Scale Aviation has saw it fit to release a book titled: "How to Build 1/72 F-14 Tomcat: All steps for making the Hasegawa 1/72 F-14 Tomcat".

That's right, an entire book written to help modellers conquer a single kit. emot-v.gif

I'm surprised to hear people complain about high parts counts. I like kits with many parts (especially when they fit well). They make for nice long-term projects.

And as modelers, putting things together is part of the fun. At least for me it is.

I'm surprised to hear people complain about high parts counts. I like kits with many parts (especially when they fit well). They make for nice long-term projects.

And as modelers, putting things together is part of the fun. At least for me it is.

• 5 years later...
On 2/2/2014 at 11:53 PM, DutyCat said:

Ok so I am wrapping up this Hase 1/72 Tomcat, and I have to make some observations....

1. The Tomcat in general is a hassle to finish. It has a little bit of everything going on, from multi-hued NMF burner cans, to NMF leading edges on the wings an tail, NMF gun port panel, NMF intake lips, large canopy, green tinted windscreen, Phoenix missiles with almost entire body decaling, complicated landing gear, multiple landing gear doors that require red edging and complicated positioning. It seems to just go on and on. And Heaven help you if you want to do a gray over white scheme because of the way the body is shaped.... gray, then white, then gray again (the demarkation for which extends behind the intake assembly). I think there is twice as much finishing work on an F-14 as the average gray Navy or Air Force jet. Then you add in....

2. The Hasegawa F-14.... a beautiful, but WAY over engineered model, featuring about twice as many parts as needed, and that does not include weapons. Alignment on everything is critical. I made the mistake of putting a resin cockpit in mine, so I had to do some surgery just to get it in, then found out later that my gear well was displaced to one side about 2mm. More corrective surgery. And honestly, looking at the kit parts, a replacement pit was not really needed. it comes with PE plackards to put over the flat cockpit panels. Apply the kit cockpit decals and you are done...but there are like a dozen panels in there.

The burner cans are five parts, plus PE if you want to hassle with it...and you better align them just right or the turkey feathers will not sit flush, plus my exhaust seemed to be too wide for the turkey feathers and I had to carefully file away some outer diameter.

Kit comes designed to have flaps and slat deployed. If you want them up, you have to cut off the actuators....but do you think the slats will just sit flush after removing just the actuators? Nope. You have to take more plastic off of the backside of the slats for them to sit flush. Even then, getting a precision, consistent, panel line demarkation between the slat and the wing is problematic. Out comes the putty and scriber. That isn't easy either. I had to redo mine several times to get it "acceptable."

Then there is the landing gear....After much trial an error over the years, I have evolved a technique where I just build the gear as I build the model (this allows for alignment checks and adjustment before the cement dries completely), then spray the gear and wells white, then mask using a combination of tissue paper, aluminium foil, Tamiya masking tape, and liquid mask. Can you take that approach on an F-14? Nope. The F-14 MLG legs go RIGHT NEXT to the fuselage. They have to be installed after painting. So I painted all of the gear parts and installed them separately. I hate doing it like this because you have to use super glue and it makes to hard to adjust the various connecting landing gear parts....but wait......about this little nose gear actuator...the one the instructions told you to install back in step 1 or 2?....guess what...that ain't going in now, because you have to put it in BEFORE the nose strut.

There are also a couple of other "gotchas" in the mix if you are not careful. One of my pet peeves is wheels and axles. They should fit comfortably, not so tightly that a few thin coats of white paint requires that you whittle down the axle or hollow out the mounting hole.

So be forewarned, This is one of those kits that is so complicated that you have to build it to learn how to build it.

I am planning on starting another, using the lessons learned from the first battle....and this will be SOB.

Oh, and did I mention the decals? They were from CAM, who generally has a good rep. Not this time. I was doing VF-111. Not easy. The shark mouth would not accept the curvature of the radome, despite having the foresight to cut it in half before trying to apply it. I ended up having to practically repaint the whole thing by hand, because that white decal film?...that is not quite completely opaque, so it did not match the tonal value of my touch up paint. Worse, however, was the sunburst tail decal. You have to paint white underneath it, to make the white cover. No big deal as it was anticipated. However, the decal was simply made too big. It was sized for the entire tail, INCLUDING the NMF leading edge. No fix possible. All I could do is trim as best I could. It is not noticeable to the casual observer, but someone who knows what the are looking at will notice.

Thank you for the very detailed field report in the kit. I have decided to put everything back into the box and back on the stash shelf. Will go ahead with the new academy kit instead.

1 hour ago, Eri said:

Thank you for the very detailed field report in the kit. I have decided to put everything back into the box and back on the stash shelf. Will go ahead with the new academy kit instead.

No, don't give up on the Hasegawa kit. It is still one of the best in 1/72 scale.  Might take a bit longer to build but still very accurate.  Also, it goes for about 1/2 the price of an Academy kit and about 1/3 the price of a GWH kit.

GWH (US$45+):

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/0lwzhif8j6n2geuw5pjn.html

Academy (US$30+):

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/5s00etq5ov0vbs3sjdiq.html

Hasegawa (US$15+):

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-f-14a-tomcat-atlantic-fleet-squadrons-hsge14

To be fair to Hasegawa, the original poster, DutyCat's post is dated as 2014....6 years ago.  And the Hase kit was released in the year 2000.  That means it took Acad & GWH more than 20 years to catch up.  And using newer technology. 

The Tomcat is one of those planes that some people build multiple copies of (because of so many squadron markings).  I'd rather get 2 x Hase Tomcats for the price of 1 Acad or 3 x Hase Tomcats for the price of 1 GWH.

Just my 2 cents 🙂

EDIT:

Scalemates says the newer tool Hasegawa kit was released in 1988.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-04037-grumman-f-14a-tomcat--174594

Wow, that makes it around 31 years before Acad & GWH came along with theirs. 😯

Edited by JackMan

Fully agree with Jackman, the Hasegawa 1/72 Tomcat new mold kits build into a beautiful representation OOB. An added bonus is that they reboxed it a zillion times with very good decals most of the time, covering many, many liveries/squadrons.

Arnaud

Edited by arnobiz

The Hasegawa kit which I have in the stash is a 1988 kit. It has the sundowner boxart and the decals sheet has turned yellow. I ve been bleaching it under the sun for the pass 2 months. Decals seem to be normal now. I m planning to turn the Academy kit to a D model. And will use this old kit as a Top Gun Tomcat once I receive Maverick VF-1 decal sheet. 

Edited by Eri

+1 on the Hasegawa. I've not the Academy neither GWH kits, but I prefer Hasegawa over Fujimi or Hobby Boss or old tool Academy (which I have huge sentiment for). Yes. It's a bit like walking through a minefield. But with guides You can beat it.

So basicly watch out for nose to fuselage joint, intakes to fuselage and the beaver tail attachment and You are set. IMHO, the nose to fuselage join is the hardest to get right. If You fail it, then that's just another place to putty and sand. Dry fitting is the key. I'm actually looking forward to building Hasegawa F-14 again.