1:1 Scale Shuttle Discovery with ET and SRBs mock-up in Japan

Now if you thought the Monogram 1/72 Space Shuttle with External Tank and Solid Rocket Boosters kit was big, then check out this 1:1 scale version!

That's right, at a "Space Themed" amusement park in Kitakyushu Japan called "Space World" there stands a fairly accurate and realistic looking 1:1 scale model of space shuttle Discovery attached to an External Tank and Solid Rocket Boosters mock-up model.

It was built in 1996 so it features space shuttle Discovery with the mid space shuttle program markings with the NASA worm logo and old style marking on the SRBs. I confirmed it was 1:1 scale by using the virtual ruler in Google Earth to measure the wingspan of the shuttle. It stands in the middle of a roller coaster called Venus GP.

Its geographic location is about LAT 33.871 LON 130.808.

The park also has other real spaceflight space attractions such as a space museum. But you have to travel all the way to Japan to see it in person.

Here is a Google Earth screen shot of it I took and a link to Space World's English version website. Check it out. http://spaceworld.co.jp/english/

Space-World-Shuttle_zpsf8dedac5.png

That's a great picture of it Hotdog. Yes, I have seen that they eventually plan to display Endeavour in the vertical orientation and attached to a mock-up ET and SRBs at the California Science Center in 2018. But for now Endeavour is displayed horizontally until they finish building the new display building with mock-up ET and SRBs for Endeavour.