CV-22B in 1/72 from Hasegawa

You notice quite fast that this is a Hasegawa-kit: Everything fits together like a charm, so far a real pleasure to build.

IMG_4352_zpsc4d9ac37.jpg

The cockpit is very nice, Hasegawa provides a couple of decals for added details. The instrument panel and the overhead panel also have nice, raised little details.

IMG_4353_zps97fa2217.jpg

However, I have no clue why the MFD-decals that come with the kit only show dark, turned-off monitors... :bandhead2:

So I painted them myself, doing some artificial horizonts, engine-data-display and a moving map.

IMG_4355_zps3d77e5b0.jpg

Not pictured yet, but in the box: 4 (!) very nice sculpted pilots, so I have two spare-pilots for another helicopter!

HAJO

HAJO, you have done very well so far. But if you will allow me to point out a small thing it is this: the moving map displays only on the four MFD's in front of the pilots. The panel you have the map painted on is the CDU. This displays only texts or hydraulic, engine, electric systems information. Also, you did not get four pilot figures. The Air Force flies with two pilots and two flight engineers. To be very accurate you can put one figure on a seat between the two pilots as that is where one of the FE's sits. The other FE usually is on the tail ramp as the tail scanner. Hope this helps..

Bob

Bob, this helps a lot!

So I will change the CDU and make it look more real.

I was planning to leave the seat of the FE away, as it blocks the way to the main cabin (and of course to keep two "pilots").

HAJO

I changed the CDU and also glued the fuselage together. Worked like a charm, only a little gap under the belly, but I can fix that easily.

IMG_4357_zpsc87da6b0.jpg

IMG_4358_zps18dcab6f.jpg

The reason why I painted the CDU initially as moving map was that I was mislead from the CV-22B I usually fly... ;)

OK, to clear that up: I´m not a pilot, but as many other I wish I were, and flying a flightsimulator gives me the feeling for at least a couple of hours I am one. :)

I use the FSX of Microsoft and usually fly online on a network called VATSIM. To add to the fun, I´m member of a group called virtual US Air Force (www.vusaf.org). We mimic as good as we can the operations and procedures of the real USAF. I´m flying in the AFSOC-division, and this CV-22B is my ride:

-2013-oct-22-007_zps2379806b.jpg

It´s a product of Virtavia, and I´m quite pleased how it flies. here you can see me doing in-flight-refueling training.

I will try to change the markings from the kits-decals into 0038, which is the tail-no. of "my" CV-22B.

Our usual mission profile includes any kind of SpecOps and of course CSAR, here you can see me hovering above a crashed C-17:

RFA-2013-aug-19-005_zpsc8e8fc13.jpg

I invite those who are interested to look at our homepage www.vusaf.org, we are the biggest virtual Air Force on the network and also offer some interesting specials that make the FSX a true "MIL"-simulator. Probably the best way to get a feeling for us is to look into our forums and our Screenshot-section.

HAJO

All the smaller parts have been attached, it only took me one evening:

IMG_4361_zps96e96d72.jpg

IMG_4362_zpsa058763d.jpg

Also started the flaps and the engines:

IMG_4363_zps08f85eb0.jpg

Then I have a question: The forward starport cabin window is either a square-sized window of a small, round bullseye window:

Square:

CV_22B_GWenko_001.jpg

Round:

DSC_0072%20CV-22%20164941%20right%20side%20in%20flight%20m.jpg

Any explanations for this difference?

HAJO

Hajo, your build is coming along great. I don't see the forward window in your second picture, it looks like it is hidden behind the prop. All of the pictures I have seen have square in the front, round in the back. Gary1701 has some great pictures of the CV's at Mildenhall in this post My link

Hajo, your build is coming along great. I don't see the forward window in your second picture, it looks like it is hidden behind the prop. All of the pictures I have seen have square in the front, round in the back. Gary1701 has some great pictures of the CV's at Mildenhall in this post My link

Ah, I found a better one with the round window... But thank you for the link, very helpful since it shows the area of the engine-nacelles that´s usually hidden in the wing when in fixed-wing mode.

cv22_p_01_l.jpg

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...

Watt??? ;)/>

7845473543a7d4ad0e9676b3f7d14db6b4f0f2d5c18ea32314a8d5207d111ef6.jpg

So, you guys seem to be eager to see any progress. I painted the model yesterday and will add a second coat today.

IMG_4366_zps6b88e68b.jpg

The sun came out today and it was hard to take any decent pictures. It´s still a bit too bright...

IMG_4367_zps49ccfb55.jpg

IMG_4368_zpsd4728cf0.jpg

HAJO

Crew has taken a seat:

IMG_4370_zpsa9c3f2e0.jpg

And the second coat of grey on the bird:

IMG_4372_zpse1d02bf3.jpg

IMG_4373_zpsd33844d5.jpg

The canopy window was a bit harder to attach. For some reason the part was a bit wider than the fuselage. Fortunately the clear part is a bit flexible, so you can force it into position with a little pressure.

HAJO

Decals are on, but the final matt coat is missing:

IMG_4382_zps56216d25.jpg

Applying the decals was a pleasure, mostly because many of the smaller markings were grouped on a single decal. So instead of having to cut out, wet, position and dry each of them individually, you just had a bigger one that put all those small markings at the correct spot in one run.

Only the big decal on the back of the aircraft made some trouble, it´s too big to handle properly. You have also keep in mind to slice a small opening for the single blade-antenna, otherwise you´re applying the decal and wonder what´s in the way... (No, I did NOT do that mistake, but others may... ;) )

HAJO