Bad Guy Makes Good: Clemente Abrenilla, Jr (aka Check Six)

I have been active on this forum for over 4 years and have had literally dozens of transactions (buy/sell/trade) with numerous fellow-modellers and all of them have been problem-free. However, my perfect record recently was broken by

Clemente Abrenilla, Jr

aka on these boards as "Check Six". He posted the trade bait of a Trumpy 1:32 F-14D. I contacted him and offered 3 Hasegawa F-18 kits in trade. Agreement was made, I shipped my kits to him the next day. He acknowledged receipt of them one week later. He made a couple of excuses like having trouble finding a box big enough to mail the Tomcat, and the like. I was patient and waited another week and asked for an update. He assured me it would go out the following Monday. I checked back in 10 days later for an explanation as to why the Tomcat had not arrived, nor had I heard anything further from him . . . he stopped responding.

He has not responded to the last several PMs and the Tomcat never showed up. I guess getting burned on a deal with someone I had never traded with before was bound to happen sometime . . . but losing 3 F-18 kits is a real blow!

Not sure what other options I have in terms of getting anything at all (i.e. his Tomcat, or my Hornets) from Mr. Clemente, but I wanted to warn evreyone else to STEER CLEAR of Check Six!

UPDATE (2/19/14): Please see Post #17 on this page to see that Clemente owned up to his bad and made good on the trade.

Edited by warthoglvr

I hate to hear about things like this, specialy when it happens to a stand up guy like Andy.

I hope this gets resolved soon, If not ...

Edited by Pep

Seriously? Posting this guys address, photos of his house, and asking if someone can go over and "visit" (I'm guessing not to just to say hello)? I'm curious about the legal liability to the forum owner if someone sees this information here, goes over there, and something happens. What's the end game with comments like this? Hope that someone goes over there and confronts him? Maybe threaten him or his family? Based on what, one person's posting? What are you expecting to happen with these comments?

I don't condone what this person allegedly did, but I think people need to step back and consider the possible consequences of their actions. Besides, isn't there a rule against posting personal info here? Name is one thing, but full address?

Edited by Dave Williams

Totally agree here. Address and street view photos are too far.

I don't condone what this person allegedly did, but I think people need to step back and consider the possible consequences of their actions. Besides, isn't there a rule against posting personal info here? Name is one thing, but full address?

That's too bad but thanks for posting. CheckSix participated in the Xmas raffle and I sent him his prize so it wouldn't be a stretch for me to buy or trade with him down the road. Hopefully there is an explanation or he returns your models.

I have been active on this forum for over 4 years and have had literally dozens of transactions (buy/sell/trade) with numerous fellow-modellers and all of them have been problem-free. However, my perfect record recently was broken by

Clemente Abrenilla, Jr

aka on these boards as "Check Six". He posted the trade bait of a Trumpy 1:32 F-14D. I contacted him and offered 3 Hasegawa F-18 kits in trade. Agreement was made, I shipped my kits to him the next day. He acknowledged receipt of them one week later. He made a couple of excuses like having trouble finding a box big enough to mail the Tomcat, and the like. I was patient and waited another week and asked for an update. He assured me it would go out the following Monday. I checked back in 10 days later for an explanation as to why the Tomcat had not arrived, nor had I heard anything further from him . . . he stopped responding.

He has not responded to the last several PMs and the Tomcat never showed up. I guess getting burned on a deal with someone I had never traded with before was bound to happen sometime . . . but losing 3 F-18 kits is a real blow!

Not sure what other options I have in terms of getting anything at all (i.e. his Tomcat, or my Hornets) from Mr. Clemente, but I wanted to warn evreyone else to STEER CLEAR of Check Six!

Just finished reading this thread.

Personal issues came up that delayed shipping of the Super Tomcat and my huge failure was not keeping Andy updated with the delays/progress. He has been beyond patient and civil with my failure and I don't blame him one iota for making this thread. Had I kept him updated/informed about the shipment delay/progress it would have probably saved him a ton of unnecessary stress and I am truly sorry about that.

I finally got the Super Tomcat shipped and even offered to return the three Super Hornets to him along with the Super Tomcat as a means to make amends for my failure. Andy was kind enough to allow me to keep the Super Hornets.

He should receive the Super Tomcat on Tuesday 02/18 via USPS.

In the future I think I'll ship first in order to alleviate any possible issues and to hopefully restore my name to good standing.

I take full responsibility for my failure and am truly sorry for taking years off Andy's life via him stressing out on this transaction.

Update: The Tomcat did land at my doorstep today. I want to thank Clemente for finally coming through and although the lack of communication during our transaction left me with a bad feeling about the deal . . . I understand mistakes are made and sometimes life gets in the way of our hobby. Having said all that, I would entertain a possible trade with Clemente in the future. He owned his mistake and followed through with his end of the bargain . . . and in the end, that's all I wanted.

Not that its any of my business, so apologies for butting in, but given the outcome of this, maybe a modification of the thread header would reflect the outcome more fairly. This can be done I believe by going to full editor. Nice that this has resolved the way it did, good on all.

Steve.

Not that its any of my business, so apologies for butting in, but given the outcome of this, maybe a modification of the thread header would reflect the outcome more fairly. This can be done I believe by going to full editor. Nice that this has resolved the way it did, good on all.

Steve.

Good suggestion, Steve. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...