Hi Guys,

I've been modeling a long time now and its been all aircraft with a few armor kits thrown in here and there, but in my younger days say 35-40 yrs ago I built a number of ship models, I was trolling over on Ebay looking at some 1/700 scale kits WWII carriers to be specific, question one, is a waterline kit what I think it is with just a partial hull from the waterline up? question two what are the best kits manufacture wise, Tamiya better than Trumpy etc etc? question three is there a lot of AM for 1/700 scale ships like there appears to be for 1/350 scale.

Edited by jfmajor60

You are correct - waterline series are exactly that - flat bottomed and best used on water bases. I am new to ship modelling as well (if we don't count a few subs I've built and an odd ship when I was a kid) and I am currently building a couple of corvettes. I've created a water base, with which I'm quite pleased. I've made a step by step tutorial on how to create one easy, fast and cheap. I will post here at forums when it's done, if you are interested.

regarding the quality - I am really not sure regarding accuracy but I have a few Trumpeter and Cyberhobby (Dragon) ship models in my stash and they look well moulded with nice details. Of course use of PE brings such kits to new level...

Hi James,

Long time since we chatted..

The Waterline series has been around since the early 60's some of those early Hasegawa / Minicraft, Aoshima kits are really bad detail wise, the secondary guns look like little blobs. Tamiya stepped up, but most of thier molds are still late 60's early 70's technology. Do a little research on these little jems before you buy, there is a lot of re-boxing.

Most of the "newer tooled" kits are usually nice, just add some P/E and your ready to go. I have a few kits i'm looking to move, but no CV's. If your intersted drop me a PM and we can discuss.

L :cheers:

Hi James,

Long time since we chatted..

The Waterline series has been around since the early 60's some of those early Hasegawa / Minicraft, Aoshima kits are really bad detail wise, the secondary guns look like little blobs. Tamiya stepped up, but most of thier molds are still late 60's early 70's technology. Do a little research on these little jems before you buy, there is a lot of re-boxing.

Most of the "newer tooled" kits are usually nice, just add some P/E and your ready to go. I have a few kits i'm looking to move, but no CV's. If your intersted drop me a PM and we can discuss.

L :cheers:/>

I've actually got a few of those older Hasegawa kits and the newer releases have a new sprue of weapons and stuff like that in them. At lease the Japanese destroyer kits I bought did.

Hi Guys, Yes the 'Leviathan" upgrades for IJN warships have been around for a while - They are huge upgrades to the original kit parts. Pit Road also released some upgrade parts in 1/700 scale for IJN as well as modern JMSDF & US Warships. You can purchase these upgrade sets all over. They are usually cheaper than the PE sets and you have some leftovers for the spares box.