To complement my 1/350 scale kits of the cruise-missile subs USS Grayback......

350_Grayback_01%20.jpg

and USS Halibut......

350_Halibut_01.jpg

.... I thought I'd have a go at building their predecessors - The USS Cusk and USS Tunny.

Both are based on Gato hulls, so I dug out my AFV-Club kits of the Gato.

The Cusk looks like a fairly simple conversion involving a Gato with a hangar and a Loon (V1) missile - I haven't started this one yet.

The Tunny is a bit more complicated - involving an extended deck, bigger hangar and a scratch-built Regulus I missile.

I'm combining the AFV Club hull of a 1943 Gato with the sail from the AFV Club GUPPY 1B kit.....

I have assembled the hull and cut out a recess to take the deck extension made from plastic card....

350_Tunny_01.jpg

Having in searched in vain for something to make the cylindrical hangar, I found the answer staring me in the face - a polythene pippette....

350_Tunny_02.jpg

The decking was scribed to match the existing deck and plastic card sides were added.....

350_Tunny_03.jpg

350_Tunny_04.jpg

Then I realised that the hangar is recessed into the deck - so I had to chop out a hole to take it....

350_Tunny_05.jpg

.... with the hangar test-fitted.....

350_Tunny_06.jpg

I must emphasise that it's all being done by eye using photographs - I have no drawings, so I'm making it up as I go along.... :woot.gif:

It's all looking good - so far!

Ken

As a submarine guy, I love it. Tunny is a hard one for references of that deck. I am doing a USS Perch with the extended deck by eyeball as well. Can't wait to see more. Early Regulus/Loon boats are on my build list as well.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by parche

Excellent. Always love your work and I am so impressed with the speed that you work at with your subs. I unfortunately get overly obsessed and take forever.

Cheers,

Dave