RAAF 20th Anniversary Hornet

Here's my only entry for this GB, since I don't really have any other RAAF subjects....

IMG_6294_zps668a4ddd.jpg

IMG_6295_zps24629f40.jpg

But then again... If all goes well, and if there's time, I might build a 2nd one with same scheme (have 2 sets of the same decals), but using Hasegawa "C" Hornet, in-flight.

Got the cockpit done.... Pretty sure I screwed up the decal for the MFD. Oh well... It won't be noticeable when finished anyway. :monkeydance:/> :woot.gif:/>

IMG_6296_zpsa0824712.jpg

IMG_6297_zps0d4ee529.jpg

'Later!

Edited by Mike C
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't been able to put in too much bench time on this. Here's where it's at right now...

IMG_6311_zpsbea0a51d.jpg

I used Tamiya Extra Thin cement for all these parts. Perfect fit so far... When dry-fitting one of the engine nacelles, it also looked like it was gonna be a perfect fit too. Awesome!

Edited by Mike C

No, it doesn't. But then again, maybe it was supposed to but he ran out so he gave me two sets? I don't know for sure.

I got 2 sheets with mine as well. I think there was a printing issue with some sheets so Dave supplied 2 sheets to make sure you had at least one of every decal in good condition.

I installed the engine nacelles this afternoon. Using Tamiya extra thin cement and some squeezing, the parts joined perfectly. I'll only need the tiniest amount of Tamiya liquid surface primer just above the slime light.

IMG_6315_zpscf6288e3.jpg

IMG_6314_zps69a06ad9.jpg

IMG_6316_zpsb1a2c7ad.jpg

But then.... Trouble showed its ugly head when I tried to fit the front and main fuselage....

1. Now the main instrument panel can only be installed one way, and yet, somehow it was too far back, so the top of it hit the "hood" (a bit hard to explain). I had to bend the instrument panel forward (in the process ALMOST breaking it off!)

2. Somehow I must not have glued up the complex front fuselage parts properly, making it narrower than the main fuselage.

IMG_6317_zpsab7cf6f3.jpg

IMG_6318_zps698cbc87.jpg

IMG_6319_zps62a2d875.jpg

IMG_6320_zps7529f1cb.jpg

I knew the smooth sailing wouldn't last....

You know, the funny thing is, this is my 2nd Academy Hornet. I don't remember having such a drama with my 1st build. I might try to find my old build thread for that first one to remind myself....

Edited by Mike C

Anyway... I managed to find the old build thread of my 1st Academy Hornet. Man.... I should've re-read that old thread before starting this project. Would've saved me a whole heap of trouble! :bandhead2:

Oh well, at least I picked up a couple of little tips that saved me from more trouble...

So, I decided to use brute force... With quite a bit of squeezing and Tamiya Extra Thin cement, I managed to join the forward and main fuselage parts with somewhat minimal future drama (I think). I'll only need to work on the seam at the bottom there. I won't worry about the sides, since they'll be covered by the intake splitter plates.

Just like my 1st Acad Hornet, will need lots of puttying and sanding for the seam just under the windscreen and near the "bird slicers". Will probably defer that until I install the radome.

IMG_6321_zpse4097fde.jpg

IMG_6322_zpsc9769833.jpgIMG_6323_zpsc7b1939e.jpg

IMG_6324_zps54f09712.jpg

IMG_6325_zpsfa2d3588.jpg

I decided to go against the instruction sheet, and installed the jet intake to the engine nacelles first. I'll glue up the intake splitter plates later.

Edited by Mike C

Installed the radome. As I feared, the fit wasn't great. After using brute force (squeezing till my fingers felt like they were falling off!), and rather generous amount of Tamiya Extra Thin cement, at least I don't have "step" to contend with, just sanding and puttying and more sanding.

IMG_6327_zps02be149e.jpg

IMG_6328_zps6bb7aa06.jpg

IMG_6329_zpse7247dcd.jpg

I also sanded the seam line along the length of the canopy, then polished with Tamiya Polishing Compound (Finish). I really hate this new method of molding canopies.

Here's the pic before a dip into Pascoe's Long Life.

IMG_6331_zps71dff999.jpg

'Later!

Edited by Mike C

Nice progress. You could have saved a lot of sanding/puttying/rescribing work with a small sprue spacer though:

Academy Hornet build

Hopefully this will help your next build, I'm sorry I did not mention this earlier.

Keep up the good work,

Arnaud

Dang! That would've helped! Oh well... I'll file this away for my next build. (Hopefully I'll remember!!! :woot.gif:)

BTW, the dipping of canopy into Pascoe's Long Life kind of failed. The darned thing went on too thick, resulting in some milky white residue when dried. So, I stripped it off again using Windex. I don't think I'm gonna bother re-dipping.

Edited by Mike C

Seems that my patch up work produced a reasonably good outcome, except for that little seam line that I missed near the radome.

IMG_6335_zpsfcdb2680.jpg

IMG_6336_zpsec8ff93b.jpg

I've also been working on the gas bags and the weapons. At this stage, I'm sure I'm going to load up 2 gas bags under the wings, not sure if I'm going to hang one on the centreline. As far as weapons go, since this is special anniversary scheme, I'll be loading it up with inert AIM-9 Sidewinders. Not sure if I'm going to load it up with an inert AIM-7 Sparrow on the "cheek" station or not...

'Later!

Edited by Mike C

I've been curious about this seam line between the wings and the fuselage. Academy put a bunch of rivets there as though there was some kind of panel there. However, all pics I found of legacy/baby Hornets show there should not be any seam line there.

IMG_6361_zps78b7c392.jpg

IMG_6366_zps95128bd1.jpg

So, question for real-life Hornet keepers out there... Is there, or is there not panel there? I.e. should the seam line be filled?

'Later!

Edited by Mike C

Mike, there is a rather large panel on that shoulder. And the "rivet holes" are actually where the fasteners would go. A little bit overdone on that kit. On most Hornets, most of those fasteners will be covered over by RAM and paint but that depends on many factors. Hope that helps!

Calvin

Mike, there is a rather large panel on that shoulder. And the "rivet holes" are actually where the fasteners would go. A little bit overdone on that kit. On most Hornets, most of those fasteners will be covered over by RAM and paint but that depends on many factors. Hope that helps!

Calvin

Thanks Calvin. So, I guess I should leave the panel there, and probably fill the seam line slightly?

I've applied a bit of highly thinned Tamiya putty over the seam line, trying to make it less pronounced. I'm gonna use cotton bud dampened with nail polish remover to wipe off the excess putty.

IMG_6369_zps5e943a28.jpg

Edited by Mike C

I used cotton bud dampened with nail polish remover to wipe off the excess putty, then sprayed flat black to check how it'd look painted up.

IMG_6376_zpsea014c46.jpg

IMG_6375_zpsb4af50f0.jpg

Since I took the pics above, I applied more thinned putty over the seam.

I also sprayed flat black on the nose sections... Looks OK now, I think.

IMG_6373_zps0af91edd.jpg

IMG_6374_zps341493d0.jpg

'Later!

Edited by Mike C