RAAF 20th Anniversary Hornet

I started applying the decals on this bird last night. Started off with the large underwing decals. Dave Koss had forewarned me that these decals are old and were printed using older technologies so they had the tendency to break. Sure enough, one of the large decals started breaking. Good thing Dave supplied 2 sets...

Anyway... Will try to post pics later...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been slowly progressing through this build. Applied most of the decals, but still struggling to properly paint the radome...

Barring a disaster, I should be able to finish this build by end of the month...

Hit a minor snag... As I applied the long white/red/white decal strip on the side, I realised I forgot to remove the "bump" just under the LEX. Being lazy, I thought I'd try to get the decal to conform around the bump by applying generous amount of Tamiya Mark Fit. But, because the decals are very brittle, it broke.

So... I removed the bumps by cutting it off with #11 knife, then sanded down with 400-grit sandpaper. I'll have to respray then reapply the decals. Again, good thing Dave Koss supplied 2 sets of decals. He could already foresee these types of problems... :woot.gif:

Sorry... no pics yet. Too lazy... :whistle:

OK... Decided to take a couple of pics today... I think I've applied all the decals... Some parts of the large decals, especially along the edges, flaked off.

IMG_6452_zps63e59f59.jpg

IMG_6453_zps174c6edb.jpg

I also applied very very light weathering only using oil washes. Next bench opportunity, I'll glue the arrestor hook, burner cans, then spray with semi-gloss clear.

At this point, I'm thinking that I may not hang anything under the wings. I'll probably only load up 1x ASRAAM and 1x AIM-9 (both inert) on the wingtips.

BTW, at this point, I'm doubtful that I can finish this off before the GB deadline. Oh well...

'Later!

Edited by Mike C
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally finished this sucker! I find building aircrafts wearing special "show" schemes like this much harder. I'll post more pics in The Display Case.

IMG_6520_zps17cadfe7.jpg

Thanks for following! :thumbsup:/>

EDIT: Here's the thread in The Display Case. CLICKY

Edited by Mike C