Hasegawa 1/72 F-15DJ Aggressor

I really dislike painting the landing gears.... I used one of those template rulers that I bought off stationery shop to paint the rim, but because there was no perfect match, I had to carefully touch up the tyre with flat black using 000 brush.

IMG_6423_zpsdcd5bf88.jpg

Will need to spray some gloss clear to protect the paint before applying some oil wash later....

Edited by Mike C

I really dislike painting the landing gears.... I used one of those template rulers that I bought off stationery shop to paint the rim, but because there was no perfect match, I had to carefully touch up the tyre with flat black using 000 brush.

IMG_6423_zpsdcd5bf88.jpg

Will need to spray some gloss clear to protect the paint before applying some oil wash later....

Yeap! I can see that but, won't worry about it. Once you spray them with clear gloss, those brush strokes will disappear.

UN-FREAKIN'-BELIEVABLE!! I'm soooo darned clumsy! I somehow knocked the nose/radome against my cupboard, resulting the tip being a bit squashed. Dang it!

EDIT: I also discovered that I broke one of the blade antennas under the nose.... I'll see if I can replace it with a spare one from my Hornet kit.

Edited by Mike C

Sprayed the inside of the MLG covers with gloss white.

IMG_6424_zps3b925bf9.jpg

Also sprayed gloss clear over the wheel. Tomorrow, I'll spray the other side, then they'll be ready for weathering with oil wash.

20140405_210627_zpsj9xmiuu9.jpg

'Later!

Edited by Mike C

One thing I just realised is that the Japanese aggressors are supposed to have normal camo underneath. I'm going to assume that it's more or less the same camo that USAF F-15D is painted in. Man... This'll take even longer than I anticipated.... Blimey!

Alright... The exhausts are all done. I dry brushed 'em with Mr Metal Color.

IMG_6431_zps8f3371fa.jpg

- The burner rings were dry brushed with Mr Metal Color Chrome Silver (formerly known as Aluminum), then the inner-most ring was dry brushed with Mr Metal Color Iron. Then finished off with a light coat of Tamiya Smoke

- The rest of the exhausts were dry brushed with Mr Metal Color Dark Iron, then highlighted with a bit of Mr Metal Color Copper, then finally Tamiya X-13 (Metallic Blue). That last bit was a bit of risky move.

The inside of the exhausts were sprayed with Tamiya flat white (XF-2), then lightly "smudged" with a bit of Tamiya Smoke, then very lightly dry brushed with Dark Iron and Copper.

IMG_6432_zpsb94402a1.jpg

IMG_6435_zpsa1482e94.jpg

'Later!

Edited by Mike C

I started painting this sucker when I thought it might be a good idea to glue the vert stabs first, and putty up the join between the stabs and the fuselage.

IMG_6436_zps9dc88f23.jpg

IMG_6437_zps0c364118.jpg

IMG_6438_zps598e8b83.jpg

I'll use cotton buds dampened with nail polish remover to clean up tomorrow...

It'll be interesting (i.e. challenge) to mask with the vert stabs installed... In all of my other projects thus far, I always painted first, then vert stabs installed when painting was done (in some cases when decaling was done).

'Later!

Edited by Mike C

Installed the horizontal stabilizers and started painting the whole aircraft with Gunze Aqueous H308 (FS36375).

IMG_6444_zps57ea7a5c.jpg

Discovered a few problems that require some more sanding. *SIGH*

'Later!

Edited by Mike C

I'm really not sure what to do with the attachment points between the AN/ALQ-131 and the centreline pylon. Anyone got any tips here?

IMG_6448_zps643782a0.jpg

Should I be using the part below?

20140419_140408_zpsdvfn3szk.jpg

Or should I simply putty up those... holes?

Problem is, if I were to use the part in the 2nd pic above, I only have 1 left. Lost the other one somehow.

Edited by Mike C

I decided to spray the "standard" camo first.

20140421_213504_zpsyuzzfiol.jpg

I used Gunze Aqueous H307 FS36320 (Dark Ghost Grey).

Since most of the camo will be covered up, I never bothered spraying an absolutely correct pattern, nor did I try to be tidy.

You know... I've been using Gunze Aqueous for some time now, but it still amazes me how awesome it is to spray! Especially the semi-gloss ones.

'Later!

Edited by Mike C
  • 3 weeks later...

OK... I'm really puzzled now. Lately, I've had lots of issues with Tamiya tape leaving residue on painted surface.

20140508_210728_zpsgolr72sw.jpg

It's very annoying! I don't remember having this issue before.

I'm thinking.... Could it be because the tape is too "old"???

Edited by Mike C
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been working on this but haven't bothered taking any pics. Decided to take a couple of quick pics today to show where it's at... Haven't quite finished the painting yet... Very very close to finishing the actual splinter camo, but still have quite bit to do, especially for the metallic parts near the burner cans (and touch ups!).

IMG_6454_zps919710fc.jpg

IMG_6455_zps5dfb70ea.jpg

I definitely can't finish this project before the GB deadline!

'Later!

Edited by Mike C
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, I might finish by the deadline. For some reason, I thought the GB would finish on 1 June. But then again, there are so many decals to apply.... :bandhead2:

• 3 weeks later...