Winter Olympics: Do Americans Watch or Care?

This dude just won Gold.

I was watching, pretty cool stuff. Congrats to Poland!

On a related note, if I ran the Olympics, I'd eliminate anything that needed to be "judged". Too much room for national / political / personal bias. Only sports that can be measured or timed or scored by some other impartial manner would be allowed. Plus, I really don't think most of the other "sports" are really sports. Snowboarding (not the timed events), figure skating, synchronized swimming, diving and yes, even gymnastics, would all get tossed if it was up to me.

Just my $0.02.

Edited by 11bee

While watching some ski jumping yesterday, I noticed this guys pretty cool helmet:

kamil-stoch-kask_18310591_zpsedc27c54.jpg

kamilstoch_zps1e0d4dcb.jpg

I am quoting this just to quote because apparently we havent seen these two pictures enough already.

I was watching, pretty cool stuff. Congrats to Poland!

On a related note, if I ran the Olympics, I'd eliminate anything that needed to be "judged". Too much room for national / political / personal bias. Only sports that can be measured or timed or scored by some other impartial manner would be allowed. Plus, I really don't think most of the other "sports" are really sports. Snowboarding (not the timed events), figure skating, synchronized swimming, diving and yes, even gymnastics, would all get tossed if it was up to me.

Just my $0.02.

While I do mostly agree, if you toss figure skating you lose the largest chunk of your revenue. And also the athleticism required for those "non-sports" like figure skating, gymnastics, etc is immense.

Couldn't care less except that I hate the fact my taxes go to support any of this. If someone wants to compete I wish them all the best i guess. Why he or she should get taxpayer money for their efforts is beyond me.

Prestige. For my part I think it was way overdue to give our athletes serious support.

That reminds me of an "Australian" athlete who was born in Canada, raised in Canada, but for some reason got p'off with Canada, so he competed for Australia in the Vancouver Olympic games and won silver in moguls skiing. How many ski hills are there in Australia?

This one at least, and the ample skiing opportunities in New Zealand are only a short plane ride away.

http://www.thredbo.com.au/

I like watching, I don't care really who wins it is the competition. My favs are the timed events which gives no bias.

As for the folks who compete for different countries other than their own it is a sign of the times..... globalization and where ever they feel is home.

Yes I do feel a sense of pride when Canada gets a medal and I on the other hand don't really care if some of my tax dollars give a helping hand. Really I am only second generation..... born here but my dad is from Hungary and my mom is from the former Yugoslavia. So I do have several teams I do root for. This is the greatness of Canada (and for some the "Downfall") just a melting pot of talent from all over.

The games will be great....... The bill for the Host nation however is not..... I think there might only be two games that did break even or made money and I think one was Calgary.

Montreal I believe just paid off the Bill for the 1976 games.

:cheers:

Emil

The games will be great....... The bill for the Host nation however is not..... I think there might only be two games that did break even or made money and I think one was Calgary.

Montreal I believe just paid off the Bill for the 1976 games.

271.gif

Emil

Los Angeles made a profit in '84. The politicians keep trying to bring it to Seattle, we keep doing everything we can to prevent that disaster form happening.

According to the part of the show about Russia's achievements they invented television as well as the helicopter. Oh and basically ignoring the whole Soviet era on the history segment was a bit strange.

I thought Al Gore invented the TV and helicopter just before he invented the Internet.

Edited by Scooby

I watch it all day @ home/work! Get to see stuff I'm not exposed at all for the most part. I'm pretty sure anyone who's active in some sport/activity will appreciate an event where the cream-of-the-crop competes at...and if you don't? Well, I'll be nice and keep my thoughts to myself. Most of these guys' are genetic monsters at their particular event -- it's great to see them at their best and worst.

Geez..I'm like reeeely into curling now. LOL. (And I confess, I do enjoy watching figure skating -- the women's especially.)