P-51H Mustang

Thanks guys. I plan to use different types of Alclad for the NMF. Kris, when it is done I will bring it to a club meeting so hopefully you can see it there and I can enjoy some of your excellent builds too.

Tom

Edited by Tom G

Which one you building Tom...or is it a secret? Will be following along.

Mike

Still trying to decide. LOL. I am leaning toward the Texas ANG which is pretty colorful. I also like the MASS ANG and NJ ANG schemes. If I can't decide I will have to buy a couple more kits. :-)

Tom

Well. here are some progress shots. The model is all assembled and first round of puttying is done. I will shoot some future and primer on it and see how the seams look.

The fit of the kit is not all that great but I guess that is to be expected with a limited run kit. I did have an issue with the canopy though which was really disappointing. The contour of the canopy windscreen did not match the forward fuselage. The canopy is narrower and had to be pushed down to get it to fit flush. I did it a few times to test fit, maybe once to often. When I did it for real with the glue applied I got a bunch of stress cracks. I don't know if they extend under the masking and I'm afraid to look. Will have to wait till the final reveal. Any one have any suggestions? I'm not aware of any way to fix it.

Anyhow, here's how it looks for now. I'm looking forward to putting some color on it.

Tom

photo3_1_zps2e948ecb.jpg

photo1_zps7773292a.jpg

photo5-1_zpsc394420f.jpg

photo4_zpsf40685a4.jpg

Edited by Tom G
  • 1 month later...

Is the Future to seal up the putty? Does it work well for this?

Yes, I tried using future to fill micro scratches in the finish. It is self leveling. My friend Marvin20 told me about that. It is my first time trying it. I will be spraying the Alclad shortly and I'll let you know how it worked for me.

Tom

Here's some more progress. I decided to do the Texas ANG schemed. I have the model primed and has put the yellow and red on. I will be spraying the OD anti glare panel tomorrow and then the Alclad. Coming along and can't wait to see it with the NMF.

Tom

photo2_zpsa0194b52.jpg

photo2_zps464bf2eb.jpg

photo11_zps49ff3b0d.jpg

I got some solid time in today. I sprayed the nose anti-glare panel with Olive Drab and got a couple coats of Alclad Aluminum on the top surface. The future worked well but I have some deeper scratches on the right wing root that I am going to have to take care of. It shouldn't be too major though. One more coat should do it and then spray the bottom.

Tom

DSC_0161_zps272c08e6.jpg

DSC_0166_zpsb45f93df.jpg

DSC_0167_zpsbd6dd239.jpg

Very nice. Never see them painted backwards! I've always done nmf first. Looks great. Future helps the Alclad on the bare plastic as well?

Hi Kris,

This is the 2nd NMF model I have done. When I did the 1st one it was Alclad first and color second. The color was fragile and scratched off easily. A guy in the club suggested that I should have done it color 1st and Alclad second so I thought I would try it this way. I notice some tonal variations of the Alclad over the color but they are getting less with each coat. Marvin20 also once had a bunch of Alclad pull up when he masked over it so that is another reason I wanted to do it in this order.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

2.5 days! Finish it!

Lol, still working on it. I finished my Swiss Me109 in the meantime for our modeling club quarterly contest. I am now back on the Mustang. I have the base Alclad done and will be doing some panels in different shades. BTW Kris, I changed the base color from polished aluminum to white aluminum based on your excellent P-38 that you brought to the meeting. I will post more pictures once I get the panels done. And I promise I will bring it to a meeting so you can see it in person. :thumbsup:/>

Here's my Swiss 109

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=274405

Tom

Edited by Tom G

OK, here's the latest. Tonight I highlighted some panels with Dura Aluminum. I then unmasked everything but the canopy. Things are moving along. :cheers:

I hope you like it.

Tom

imagejpg2_zpse1ad7885.jpg

imagejpg3_zps91257dd8.jpg

imagejpg1_zps564530ff.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsee9c2521.jpg